24/0 vs 18/6

• Thread starter bloads
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HeadGrow

HeadGrow

jake you're the only other person I've seen on here that runs the same veg light cycle that I do.

I did 24/0 for a bit and 18/6 and 20/4. It seems that 20/4 is the happy medium. They don't grow quite as fast as straight 24/0 but not much slower at all either. I've had success with both ways though.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I agree sea. My Dad wanted to keep his moms in an ebb &gro. I told him coco or soil would be better. Like a lot of new gardners he didnt want to listen. 4 months later one started flowering. Root rot like ive never seen. Repotted into coco 2 weeks later its growing normal again. I still have the original in coco no issues.

S

swisscheese

I just ran 24 hour light for veg and it's nice to not worry about light leaks and my plants are all beasts!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why do you worry about light leaks in veg?

homebrew420

homebrew420

Yeah I don't get that either Sea. Have a buddy who also worries about that. I have done my best to convince him he was in no danger of anything happening negatively. But he is still very skeptical, he is still a novice though. No need to worry. I was running 24/0 for a very long time and went to 18/6. Personally saw a very noticeable slowing of growth. I grow a mix of hybrids and a few leaning sativa and a few indica leaning

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
When I was new I didn't worry about light leaks in the flowering room. Back then I was running subcool genetics and got hermies all OVER the place. Done with that shizzy, running good, solid genetics now. But it took some time for me to understand what happens to plants in response to light and how that behavior is affected by photoperiods, etc.

My current "problem" is how to slow growth in veg down. I keep ending up with these huge plants that are too big for my preferred sog-style of growing, they then need to be cut down, sometimes for weeks on end.

Timing is EVERYTHING.

D

dj_destroyer

I've been 24/0 for years now but I did try 20/4 and 22/2... Must say that growth on both cycles was the same as 24/0 so if there truly are any benefits of having a dark period, then I would go with it; I just haven't found any benefits other than a small savings on electricity. Mostly just seems like a waste of a timer, but if you do need a cool down period or want to save as much as possible, go for 22/2!

B

Bearsfather

I'm also trying to slow down growth, my Flowering area is full, my next set of plants are strongly showing they want to flower, my Flowering area is not anywhere near ready to harvest. The timer is set 0n 18 - 6. :worried

B

Bobby Smith

I personally use a staggered photoperiod of 14/2/2/4.

Is that on/off/on/off?

If so, how'd you come to that specific cycle? Have been curious to mess around with differing cycles in veg (24/0 for everything but moms, which grow plenty fast for me under 18/6 and I like saving the electric).

HeadGrow

HeadGrow

When I was new I didn't worry about light leaks in the flowering room. Back then I was running subcool genetics and got hermies all OVER the place. Done with that shizzy, running good, solid genetics now. But it took some time for me to understand what happens to plants in response to light and how that behavior is affected by photoperiods, etc.

My current "problem" is how to slow growth in veg down. I keep ending up with these huge plants that are too big for my preferred sog-style of growing, they then need to be cut down, sometimes for weeks on end.

Timing is EVERYTHING.

Interesting. Which subcool genetics were u running? How long ago was that?
Also which genetics did u choose to go with?

I'm running deep purple and havn't had much issues with it yet.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Is that on/off/on/off?

If so, how'd you come to that specific cycle? Have been curious to mess around with differing cycles in veg (24/0 for everything but moms, which grow plenty fast for me under 18/6 and I like saving the electric).
A very knowledgeable friend gave me that lovely tip in order that I might be able to put clones OD without them immediately going into flower. It works.
Interesting. Which subcool genetics were u running? How long ago was that?
Also which genetics did u choose to go with?

I'm running deep purple and havn't had much issues with it yet.
Some of his older stuff, Conquistador and... now I can't remember what else. I like to try different stuff, now I've got a bunch of gear of Loran's going at the moment, getting ready to get some Choco Diesel going for a run.

420Gator

420Gator

I personally use a staggered photoperiod of 14/2/2/4. No flowering (unless they're rootbound), no strange leaves, no single or triple-bladed leaves, just nice, healthy growth at a good rate for my electric investment. And, I get to put my clones outside without the worry of them immediately going into flower.

Just pointing out that there really is more than one way to skin the cat.

this is interesting, i wonder if we have to keep the total hours at 24

D

dj_destroyer

What's the alternative 420gator? Shorten/lengthen the day? As far as I know, that's not possible!

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I know people used to run 10/10 they make timers for it.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Hey there gator. My buddy at the hydrostore showed my some probably 10 yrs ago. Pretty sure they were 20 hr maybe 18 hr. Thought the idea of quicker crops was cool.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

10/10 would mean its constantly shifting in real time. There would b days the lights were on during the day. I wouldn't want that as where i live hydro rates are priced according to peak usage hours.

I don't see it working anyway, plants have evolved for how many years on a 24 hr light schedule.

Top Bottom