24/12 day night cycle shortens flowering time?

• Thread starter Synthamesc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Synthamesc

Synthamesc

So I had a thought about flowering. Since cannabis gets its direction from the night cycle, you could theoretically cut 6.5 days for every 30 off of your flowering time. Cutting an 8 week flowering time to 6 weeks and a day.

If your day and night cycle was 24-12 the plant would still see the 12-hour night and flour like normal but it would be getting more hours of sunlight for week then in a 12 12 schedule.

So I decided to do some research and see if there is anything out there to corroborate my hypothesis. And I found this:

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this? Or has tried it? I'm about to start flowering and I like experiments.

Vintaw

Vintaw

From a logical point of view it sounds like it would work. From a grower's point of view it sounds too good to be true. I'm interested, are you going to put it to the test? Hell if I can swing it, I may try it myself. Awesome post. Keep good stuff like this coming.

Synthamesc

Synthamesc

OK... So I was doing some research and I fell down the rabbit hole on light. I watched this 45 minute long video from Dr. Bruce Bugbee from Apogee Instruments. He broke down how cannabis absorbs light and the 8 things you need to have in the sweetspot for all grows, really informative. I recommend watching if you like all the science that goes with growing (link below). Any way, he goes on to explain how the key is the DLI, or Daily Light Integral, and the amount the plant can take. PPFD is the density of your light per second that is hitting your surface area. DLI is the amount of PPFD in a day cycle. They found that production tops out at around 40 DLI and the plant has no further benefit from light.

Basically, if you download a light meter app. You can see what your light is putting out and adjust accordingly. I have my light at 93%, with the IR bar on but not the UV, and have 3 feet between my lamp and closest top. My plants are getting 43 DLI over a 12 hour period and they are loving life. After 40 DLI the cells need the night in order to recover. So the 24/12 technique will work but for someone with a light that has a lower PAR value.

I used the app "PPDF Meter" to see my LUX, PPDF, and DLI. The screen dimmer sensor in the phone is how it works. Helps with light power, angle, hight.

Also, BEST LIGHT OF ALLLL TIME

27 days between the 2 photos.
Follow the grow

Check out the light

Dr. Bugbee

20210724 174826
20210627 142829
Last edited:
H

hawkman

when growing 100% sativa strains - give your plant a 24-36hr darktime before your 12/12 switch - this will shorten flower x by 1-2 weeks -

mastiff

mastiff

I have been trying to explain this to a friend. He waited until Hsvits kosher kush started flowering and get this he put them in 18 hours of darkness and 6 hrs of light. I fought this strategy with him until 😡 . He is now in the 4 th week of flower. They have buds and getting hardier. From what I see is that you lose yield a lot . How the smoke comes out is yet to see. He knows someone who grows But more like a farmer that likes to speed things up . If your not a farmer and not growing pounds I would stay with the I guess traditional easy way . how many times can we reinvent the wheel, I believe in the kiss method keep is simple stupid. please excuse me and correct me because I myself might not know wtf I'm talking about but we all learn something knew on every grow. I myself is not that well experienced enough yet to try this. I will follow this carefully because this subject has a lot of people scratching there heads. Will get back on this once the smoke is tried out . Thanks for the great post

costanza

costanza

OK... So I was doing some research and I fell down the rabbit hole on light. I watched this 45 minute long video from Dr. Bruce Bugbee from Apogee Instruments. He broke down how cannabis absorbs light and the 8 things you need to have in the sweetspot for all grows, really informative. I recommend watching if you like all the science that goes with growing (link below). Any way, he goes on to explain how the key is the DLI, or Daily Light Integral, and the amount the plant can take. PPFD is the density of your light per second that is hitting your surface area. DLI is the amount of PPFD in a day cycle. They found that production tops out at around 40 DLI and the plant has no further benefit from light.

Basically, if you download a light meter app. You can see what your light is putting out and adjust accordingly. I have my light at 93%, with the IR bar on but not the UV, and have 3 feet between my lamp and closest top. My plants are getting 43 DLI over a 12 hour period and they are loving life. After 40 DLI the cells need the night in order to recover. So the 24/12 technique will work but for someone with a light that has a lower PAR value.

I used the app "PPDF Meter" to see my LUX, PPDF, and DLI. The screen dimmer sensor in the phone is how it works. Helps with light power, angle, hight.

Also, BEST LIGHT OF ALLLL TIME

27 days between the 2 photos.
Follow the grow

Check out the light

Dr. Bugbee
that light looks incredible. I swear every time I buy a new light, 6 months later I see one I like better.

Top Bottom