24 hour lighting ???

• Thread starter redog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redog

I have a friend who claims to be doing a 24 hour flor light grow.
Why would you want to have the plants exposed for 24 hours?Does it mess a plant up if it gets 14 hours of day light one day then 18 hours the next,then 16 the next. . . . .?

T

TexaPonicZ

to my knowledge, it is best to stay consistent with your lighting/dark periods, so if you can't timer your veg then 24 constant is your best bet. I have used a 18on/6off with great results. i think they like the break...if i am using lower lumens wattage, like with flouros, i have used either 20on/4off or st8 24hrs on...hope that answers your question

L

l33t

Plants are said to grow/veg faster with 24/0 (lights on / off).
but many believe that 24hrs lighting is not as good as 18/6 as plants need some dark cycle.

I tried both n I prefer 18/6 , I like to give a lights off cycle and cool my equipment a bit

Plants dont like great changes usually and if you say have 14 hrs lights on then go to 18hrs then to 16hrs the plants may get stressed and react.

Many strains may not show signs of stress but some will. And don't forget some strains will flower with 14hrs so I wouldn't try to go down to 14hrs during the veg cycle cause it may start to flower.

You should go with a stable light regime say 18/6 for veg and 12/12 for flowering or you could lower the hrs gradually to simulate nature better. Both work as good

K

kill-9

I do 24 hours for the first 3 weeks, to give the babies as much light as possible to sprout and gain a little life, then switch to 18/6.

L

l33t

why have?

the problems might/will occur only if you go up n down all the time , ie 18hrs one day then next day 14hrs then 3rd day 20hrs etc etc

C

chemicalsword

I've grown at both 24 hr and 18/6 veg light cycles and I've noticed my plants react well to the 6 hr rest period. I think it is critical in nature and should be replicated in custom systems....

frostymcfailure

frostymcfailure

you need dark peroids even if 6hours for photosynthesis to produce necessary sugars and such.

KAL EL

KAL EL

I read an article a while back about the best light schedule for the best yields.
It stated that the best light schedule for the best yield is 20/4 in veg.
I usualy go with 20/4 or 18/6.

N

Nuglover

As long as you're consistant...that's the main thing. Plants like their comfort zone. Swith lighting too much and it'll stress em. I go 24/0 for about the first month then slowly increase darkness over the next few weeks to a month. Then it's 12/12 and hang on.:)
You ask 10 people you're bound to get 10 answers but less stress is best.

Top Bottom