240 or 120 volts???

• Thread starter JH420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JH420

JH420

Hey all, I'm a bit confused here. Designing a 3000 watt room of 5 x 600's. I read that 240 volts uses less amps but the same amount of watts...so does this mean there would be no electricity savings running 240 vs 120? My electrician says I would save electricity running 240, but in "Ask Ed" I think he says it wouldn't. If there are no elcectricity savings, are there any advantages to running off 240? I know it's more dangerous to work with.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Go with 240, your amp draw will be cut in half which lowers your electricity bill.

jj

H

hongkong

less amps and less likely to blow a fuse. especially cuz it should be separate from the rest of your household items

T

terpenophenolic

240 systems will draw half the current , but the voltage is doubled, so the power consumption is the same.....power in watts = volts x amps....so the power consumption for a 1kw lamp for instance would be the same regardless of 120V or 240V...the power company charges you by kw hours, a 1kw lamp draws 1kw every hour regardless of the voltage applied...the power consumption is still the same and will cost you the same,however there are advantages to running 240 circuits.......for instance if you needed to run 5 1kw light you could run 5 15 amp 120 circuits, so each light would have a dedicated 15 amp circuit.....that would be a lot of wire to run when you could get the power to the same spot by running a single 50 amp 240 circuit, for all 5 lights......much easier....there are reasons for using 240, to save money is not one of them no matter what anyone tells you.....

F

Finalopagus

Sry jj 120v to 240v will not change you bill, ie electric use. As Tex (terpen and now pro) said it does drop the amps by half but the volts have gone up.

Watts = Volts X Amps (the equation must stay equal)

hehe try this

P

ProGroWannabe

****EDIT*** Looks like I was too late....the other posts above made it in before mine...sorry.******

F

Finalopagus

none of us have anything better to do dam tri-reply.... hahahahahah

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Sry jj 120v to 240v will not change you bill, ie electric use. As Tex (terpen and now pro) said it does drop the amps by half but the volts have gone up.

Watts = Volts X Amps (the equation must stay equal)

hehe try this

then I stand corrected, not the first time and surely won't be the last.:fubar

H

herby

In regards to the electric bill. It really depends where you are located and how your power company bills you.
In some places the power company goes by the Highest power draw in a certain time from.
For example you will get a lower rate if you are drawing a lot of power after 7pm instead of during the day. I guess its the rate they bill you at that changes. Best to call your power company to find ou for sure. I know I used to save money at my company when I went in really early in the morning to power on all the lights and equipment.

N

NBfrost

here in canada i can run 6 , 1000w magnetic ballist lights on one dryer outlet :)

JH420

JH420

And just curious why you say "here in Canada"? Doesn't work elsewhere??

N

NBfrost

lol sorry should have been more in depth . im sure it works else where , im only sure about where i live . I believe in my pannel there is a 40 amp fuse .

Top Bottom