240v 600w light = $500 a month how can this be?

• Thread starter fractal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fractal

fractal

A friend said that they were paying $200 a month to run two 1000w lights, and then when they hooked up a 600w light in addition to the other two, it started costing $700 a month meaning that 18/6 with a 600w light was costing them $500 per month. How can this be even at the highest tiered electrical rates? Normally a 600 would be well under $50 a month on its own, I would expect if the tiered price rose because of the added 600w lamp it would still be maybe $100 a month extra. It just doesn't make sense, wondering if any Farmers can add their knowledge and explain why adding 600 watts to 2000 watts would cause the bill to spike from $200 a month to $700.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
The answer prolly lies within the electric companys billing policys for useage, Some.. alot... Bill extra when you go over a certain amount of kilowatts per month..

Check into there website and im sure you'll get your answer :D

sixstring

sixstring

yeah i pay a high rate in mich and mine are about 35.00 a month per light.like @LittleDabbie said he must have gone over some budget for usage or someone is stealing power from him lol.did he maybe fire up a second a/c to cool the new lights?a big a/c unit could do that but damn thats high for one light

Nef420

Nef420

All I can say is that's fucked up. I pay 70$ for my entire setup in 18/6. It's not bad. with a 600 watt hps

Nef420

Nef420

Have you checked your providers policies and shit? Lol do you guys get a discount? Or are you guys in any programs to help pay? Maybe they cut you off? I know they'll cut you off from some programs for using too much or not paying on time. Have you added the math up yourself? Find out your tier rates and then do the math. It's watts times hours used in a month then decided by 1000 and the number you get will help you get an average idea of what you would pay. Like for example a 600 watt light running on 12/12 would be on for 372 hours a month now do 600x372 and you get a crazy number like 223200, and devide 223200 by 1000 and you get 223.2 now say your highest tier is .22 cents a kWh. (1000 watts per hour used) , do 223.2 x .22 wich equals to 49.10$ for the monthly bill just for that light. I always calculate using the highest rate. That way you get the highest price wich most likely it won't be that much unless you really max out all other tiers. But keep in mind all other power used through out the house or place you have your ladies

curious2garden

curious2garden

Ouch! That hurts, Tiers, tears, ha!

I wanted to add, if an electric bill suddenly seems out of whack check the new item's actual draw, if that checks good, then look for some place where someone may have spliced into your supply. Sadly that seems to happen more frequently these days.

SKUNK420

SKUNK420

With my electrical usage I hit my area's highest tier by 5-7 days into the billing cycle .
In my area the electric company is extending peak hours later into the early evening because of the solar panel boom. What is happening is the evening power usage surge is shifting towards sunset when the solar panels quit producing energy and then those people now create the surge as the sun sets.

ivyboy1225

ivyboy1225

Tiers, solar power, all effect $$$. My buddy runs exact same setup of someone close to me and goes 1k higher.

donmekka

donmekka

Not sure where you live but its Freaking cold out right now. And to my surprise alot of people don't realize if they have electric heat the colder it get the more it works....the more they pay.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I would suggest a meter called a Kill a Watt, they are cheap just plug everything into it displays watts amps etc, works good when doing the math so your not so surprised with bills. I would also tighten up your light schedules even 12/12 can be tightened up to 10/14 or 11/13. If you like Gadgetry like me here are some neat gadgets to help with power.

http://www.p3international.com/products/p4480.html http://www.p3international.com/products/p4400.html

main_p4480.jpg
main_p4400.jpg

Top Bottom