240V surge protector

• Thread starter bulkybud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bulkybud

Hello farmers,

I have a relatively straight forward question. I am trying to use my dryer outlet to power 3 X 1000 watt HPS. Unfortunately, I have a three-prong outlet. Does anybody know if a 240V surge protector exists?

the three prong outlet look like this: http://applianceguru.com/dryers/dryer_outlet.jpg

My ballast is similar to this one:

Thanks.

C

CAPO

What you want is a light controller, perhaps a CAP model.
Pretty much your breaker at the box is your overload protector. The instructions will tell you how to wire the plug as well as hard wire the 10-3 romex wire to the controller. You will need to buy a pigtail to fit your existing dryer outlet. I think I paid around 2 bills for my controller.
Do you have digital or magnetic ballasst?

C

CAPO

I didn't see that second link.......switchables..nice!
Also with the controller you can run all your lights off a regular 15 amp 120v timer.

convex

convex

Most of Europe uses 240V as house current - surge protectors are available.

Cheers

C

CAPO

ya and the plugs are all euro style.......bulkybud, are you in the states or euro?

B

bulkybud

Hey guys,

To answer your question, I'm from Canada. I'm looking for 240V with the three prong as seen on the picture, not Euro-style.

CAPO:
I'm trying to avoid hard-wiring and my box is out of space anyway. I've seen many 30amp 240V-120V boxes that plug right into the dryer plug...but they are four prong, not three. I've been told that 4 prong is the only way to split 240V into two seperate 120V circuits. I don't need 120V so essentially I'm tryng to tap into my dryer plug with three seperate ballasts. Is it at all possible?

B

bulkybud

I got my answer...looks like it can be wired to a three prong dryer outlet.

C

CAPO

Sorry bulkybud!
I was out today celebrating. That is exactly what you want bro. The instructions are very explicit and detailed so you shouldn't have any problems wiring it up.
I have the exact set up and I love it.
The only advice left is to make sure you are color co-ordinating the wires from dryer outlet to dryer plug, take off the cover of the outlet and have a look.
Good Luck and Jah Bless!

Latest posts

Top Bottom