25 mile rule

• Thread starter Inhale
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Inhale

I am confused about the 25 mile law. Is this only for patients? Can caregivers grow within the 25 mile limit, or are they considered patients as well?

I

Inhale

Thanks, the FAQ's made it more clear to me than the actual draft.

Now what happens if we become a qualifying patient and caregiver and there no dispensary within 25 miles, and you are mid-way through a grow and a dispensary opens up down the block? It seems like although they are trying to do the right thing, they (Arizona) are the only people who are profiting.

If a patient is home bound, a $300-$1200 (2.5 ounces every 2 weeks) a month expense is a bit high IMO. We all know how non-profit dispensary prices are already in other states... the only fair prices are through caregivers directly.

This really makes me want to stay in Colorado.

medicalgrowman

medicalgrowman

I used to live in Denver.
I was homesick for Cali the whole time!
Now I'm in AZ and love-it here!

T

TooStonedAZ

When you get your ID card that says you can grow, everybody will be able to get one at first because there are no dispensaries, you can grow until that id expires in one year. When you renew your card they will look and see if a disp. is open within 25 miles of you and if not you can grow for another year. A cargiver can live within the 25 miles, it the patient that has to be outside the 25 miles.

KAL EL

KAL EL

If you are allowed to grow cuz there is no dispensary within 25 miles of you when you get your card, you will be able to grow until you renew your card if one pops up in the meantime.

mmjdo

mmjdo

There is a blog post from Will Humble found here.

http://directorsblog.health.azdhs.gov/?p=1270#comments

The question asked is as follows.

I found the caregive FAQ’s and am understanding the caretaker role much better now. However, I still have one outstanding question. If I, as a qualified patient, designate a caretaker to cultivate Marijuana for me before any dispensaries open up does that mean that once a dispensary opens within 25 miles of my home then my caretaker can no longer cultivate for me? Or will those of us who designate caretakers to cultaivate be able to keep that service once dispensaries start opening?

The answer from the name Will Humble was.

As long as the patient lives 25 miles from a dispensary, the caregiver can continue to grow.

KAL EL

KAL EL

It's not your duty as a patient to find the nearest dispensary.
The state will have to let you know if one is near you, and they will when you renew your card next year.

D

Dignan

Will Humble said in an interview last week that the ADHS does not have the funds it would need to track down every Growing Patient within 25 miles of every new dispensary that opens its doors this summer. They would need to identify every cardholder, then contact every cardholder in such a way as was legally verifiable (i.e. send it Certified Mail or visit them in-person), then they would need to be ready to process all the new cards immediately, incur the printing costs of the new cards, plus postage to deliver them to the Patient. They would have to cover those costs themselves, as there would be no fee for a card that needed to be amended for reasons outside of the cardholder's control. In a word, it would be expensive. And ADHS can't afford it.

So Humble has explicitly said that all patients that have their cards before July 2011 will have growing privileges for a full year.

After that, patients will be screwed because they'll be forced to buy from a dispensary for $300-400 per ounce.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

AZ is the most fucked up of all the medical states. Totally redonkulous. AZ serves as a prime example of what happens when douche bag politicians make laws regarding issues they are clueless about.

D

Dignan

It wasn't douchebag politicians who wrote this law; it was a gang of douchebags who have gotten wealthy on the backs of patients in California and Colorado. MPP, Andrew Myers, etc.

There are a LOT of d-bags in this cannabis world of ours, we've always known that. Having your state go medical just brings them all out of the woodwork. Deep pockets with shallow hearts.

If only it were as easy as blaming our politicians.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
It wasn't douchebag politicians who wrote this law; it was a gang of douchebags who have gotten wealthy on the backs of patients in California and Colorado. MPP, Andrew Myers, etc.

There are a LOT of d-bags in this cannabis world of ours, we've always known that. Having your state go medical just brings them all out of the woodwork. Deep pockets with shallow hearts.

word!

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

It's clearly both. Same shit happened here in CO with hb1284. Fake advocacy groups run by dispensaries hire lobbyists. But it takes an ignorant senator to buy the bullshit and put it in place. Teamwork. AZ lost me at, "fingerprints." Way too invasive.

Good luck when the Gingrich administration gives the nod to the dea to bring this house of MMJ cards down and they know where to come round everybody up. Scary.

S

smotpoker420

I wonder if when they do finally allow dispensaries, while in the "lottery" state of choosing dispensaries, if we as patients can just go and renew our card... thus giving us a full year to continue to grow?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Ya'll really shouldn't get to caught up in the minutia of the laws, one thing i know after going thru all this over the last four years. NOTHING they say is goin to happen actually will, there will be 200+ changes, adjustments, ordinances, rules, etc.....before they ever even get close to something solid.

Colorado as an example, today as the laws are, we do not really have any rules or regulations that we started with, not one, hell we don't even have the same rules as we had 60 days ago here...So to get all stressed about the ins and outs of the current law that doesn't really exist to be clear or help anybody at all is kind of silly.

What is the charge goin to be for a liscenced medical patient growing their own meds within 25 miles of a despensary? not a thing, there is nothing they can do at all..no criminal action here..move along..Probably what you will see is someone sue the state to provide transportaion to the despensaries, I mean if your goin to mandate that I shop a state run store two towns away, your goin to have to provide transportation at a state level to make it fly with the masses..the whole thing is just rediculous

My best advice is to get your card and do what you do, don't waste to much time and energy on stuff that will ultimately mean absolutely nothing to you in the end goin forward

Tex

D

Dignan

Great points TK. I agree. My MO has been to get as legal as I can on paper, but to continue operating as I have for decades... I still take the same precautions I always have. Just because I have my cards and state law is on my side doesn't mean I'm comfy sticking my neck out. I still change my carbon scrubber every 9 months and try to make sure nobody knows where my garden is.

Although I did make the mistake right out of the gate of registering my card with an Arizona mmj forum only to have a falling out with the site owner and have the guy tell me "I know a whole lot about you."

:fighting0085:

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

I was thinking of possibly moving to Phoenix or Tucson, are there any shops open for business yet? How long is it taking these days to get a card? ::wondering

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

Got to say the 25 mile rule is pretty stupid, end up paying full price just cause someone is unlucky enough to live close to one (or lucky depending on how you look at it).

Top Bottom