250 watt hps... help, please

• Thread starter pippin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

pippin

I bought a 250 watt hps lamp from a dude on Craigslist yesterday. the lamp/ballast are mounted in a steel box. I plan on mounting it in a closet and growing just two plants with it. I'm concerned about the heat it will generate. Should I take it out of the box and figure out a way to vent that heat? This is my first time but I don't want to overheat the plants or burn my house down.
Also, is hps for veg or metal halide?
Thanks for your input.
Pippin

T

Thickola Tesla

A 250 is pretty cool burning but can do alot. Don't mess with the box! You may cause yourself electrical problems or worst. Metal halide is great for vegging and can bud too. Hps is the best if you only have one choice. Try a full spectrum bulb like the hortilux eye. It's like having a hps with a lil' metal halide thrown in.
good luck and grow safe!
:flower

P

pippin

Thanks.

Thanks. I'm a small-time guy. After this grow, I think I'll purchase a stealth hydro kit complete with lamps, etc. Anyone use this set-up?

S

SkyHi

People on this site are always more responsive if you have pictures included. Most ballast can be remote mounted away from the reflector. Stealth hydro kit? is that a package setup?

P

pippin

Yes, package deal for about $400 you can grow 6 plants. They use cfl's.
I'm still new to this sight and not too tech savvy with photos.

B

BuddKlott

you could buy yourself a fan and have it blowing across the bottom of the light - it'll help to keep the temps down

Top Bottom