2kw Neville’s Haze - First Rdwc Grow

• Thread starter Sadturtle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sadturtle

I first posted over 2 years ago asking questions and trying to learn more about RDWC, since then I tried to do a lot of research on what to expect. I taught myself a lot, from building my own rooms to rewiring the circuit breakers even though I knew jack before this project (that alone made this worth it for me).

Here's the current system specs:

Genetics
Started with 6 seeds (NL #1, Skunk, AK-47, some more) but down to one now (Female Neville's Haze)

Rooms
Flower Room: 10' x 5' x 7'; Roxul-insulated walls (soon to be a negative pressure room)
Seed Room: 4' x 5' x 7'

System
Under Current UC6 XL13
100 GPD Reverse Osmosis/DI Filter
120 Gallon Vertical Water Tank

Lighting

Blockbuster Air-Cooled Reflector 6-Inch
1000w Apollo Dimmable Digital Ballast
Hortilux 1000w SHPS Bulb
Ushio 1000w MH Bulb
400w LED Light

Ventilation
Light Rail 5.0
S&P TD-200S 501CFM Fan
Phresh Filter 8" 750 CFM
Air King 18" Oscillating Fan
10" R6 Insulated Ducting
1/4 HP Water Chiller
500GPH Submersible Pump

Electronics
Sentinel MDT-1 Digital Timer
Hanna Instruments Meter

Tools
GH PH Control Kit
Fiskars Titanium Pruning Snips
Pressure Sprayer

Nutrients
Dutchmaster Gold Grow A & B Set
Dutchmaster Gold Flower A & B Set
Dutchmaster Silica
Dutchmaster Add.27
Dutchmaster Zone
Dutchmaster Gold Liquid Light
Dutchmaster Gold Saturator
GoGnats

Germination & Cloning
Heated Germination Station
Black Gold
Clonex Rooting Gel
Superthrive
Rockwool Cubes
Thrive Alive

First planted my mother around 2-3 months ago and have been taking it very very slowly since (I work 7 days a week now so time is an issue).

11/28/2014
First 6 seeds going into Germination
2kw nevilles haze   first rdwc grow

11/28/2014
The 400w LED Light
2kw nevilles haze   first rdwc grow 3

12/6/2014
Seeds have sprouted! Some died :(
2kw nevilles haze   first rdwc grow 2

12/26/2014
Most of the seeds have died by this point :(
2kw nevilles haze   first rdwc grow 4

2kw nevilles haze   first rdwc grow 6

12/31/2014
Neville's Haze still going strong!!
2kw nevilles haze   first rdwc grow 5

1/5/2015
Neville's Haze is super hardy, Skunk has died :(
2kw nevilles haze   first rdwc grow 7

2kw nevilles haze   first rdwc grow 8

When I have more time later, I'll try and upload the photos of the room construction as well. I would've rather started with those photos but its taking forever to upload!

H

happy b

Oooo some of them arnt looking to healthy.The be over watering?The soil looks pretty wet . is it Neville haze from the female seed co?

KushMan707

KushMan707

Damn bro sorry to see you lose your seeds like that. It looks like your light is way to close to your seedlings though. For seedlings I would keep a flourescent light at least 18" away.

H

happy b

Damn bro sorry to see you lose your seeds like that. It looks like your light is way to close to your seedlings though. For seedlings I would keep a flourescent light at least 18" away.
You would keep a cfl 18 inches away?sorry but iv got to strongly disagree with you there kush man . keeping flouro,s 18 inches away will only make the plants stretch to hell,kinda like the ones in the root riot cubes in the pic above . I keep my cfl,s as close to the light as I can without touching.maybe2/3 inches, 6 inches tops.

KushMan707

KushMan707

You would keep a cfl 18 inches away?sorry but iv got to strongly disagree with you there kush man . keeping flouro,s 18 inches away will only make the plants stretch to hell,kinda like the ones in the root riot cubes in the pic above . I keep my cfl,s as close to the light as I can without touching.maybe2/3 inches, 6 inches tops.
Seedlings need hardly any light to grow so keeping them 18" isn't going to make them stretch all crazy. Once they start showing real growth moving them down to 6in is fine but that's also gonna really cut your light spread. Seedlings are like babies, you want to let them adjust to their new world before you try and get them crawling/walking.

H

happy b

Not in my experience . if you give low light levels from the start your plants will stretch for the light . that is a fact not my opinion . Your average cfl isn't powerfully enough to giv enough light at 18 inches . and anyway he,s clearly using an led so i don't know why you even mentioned cfl . I think we,r going to have to agree to disagree.@sadturtle DONT move your light away further theyr already stretching . At least let someone else chime in theyr opinion.

KushMan707

KushMan707

Not in my experience . if you give low light levels from the start your plants will stretch for the light . that is a fact not my opinion . Your average cfl isn't powerfully enough to giv enough light at 18 inches . and anyway he,s clearly using an led so i don't know why you even mentioned cfl . I think we,r going to have to agree to disagree.@sadturtle DONT move your light away further theyr already stretching . At least let someone else chime in theyr opinion.
I don't have any experience using led but thought that maybe @Sadturtle could have used flourecents before so he could compare the info. Some plants are going to get really stretchy regardless of how close your lights are. And it doesn't matter if you give it low light levels from the beginning, if at any point during veg you give a plant low light levels it will stretch. Seedling growth and veg growth are different. By the way I was only making a suggestion to @Sadturtle for him to compare with others info. Honestly I don't think our info varies to much besides the fact you think that a seedling needs light right up in its face.

H

happy b

Not up "in its face" but I just thought 18" is way to far . didn't mean to giv offense or anything . Just calling it as I see it.

S

Sadturtle

Hey! Thanks for the reply guys. I have more photos (Nevilles Haze is doing great btw!) that I will upload when I'm home.

With LEDs (not CFL) I go as close as possible. Using the back of my hand as a guide to see how warm it is. The light was originally far away which is why you see the 2-3 babies that fell over; apparently the condition is called "falling over syndrome" and it means the light was too far away and plant grew too fast to it and fell over (resulting in dead babies) :( I tried to tie them to toothpicks and try to get them going again but the stem would just completely wilt. I pronounced them dead when they started to decay lol

This is my first setup using lights. Prior to this was a little outdoor and small bonsais ;)

Shamus

Shamus

Seedlings need hardly any light to grow so keeping them 18" isn't going to make them stretch all crazy. Once they start showing real growth moving them down to 6in is fine but that's also gonna really cut your light spread. Seedlings are like babies, you want to let them adjust to their new world before you try and get them crawling/walking.

Whaaaaat.

Did you see those seeds? They need more light.

@Sadturtle the LED you have is of low quality I hate to break it to you..

Also I've heard it's bad to switch spectrums from LED to a standard spectrum..

You'll want to invest into some CFL or use your dim able ballast and knock it down to 400 if it has that setting. If you pop more seeds

I'll tag along. Any questions just type @Shamus

Good luck man

Shamus

Shamus

That is the worst advice I've ever seen. Lol

Sorry not trying to be mean but.. Wut

KushMan707

KushMan707

Not up "in its face" but I just thought 18" is way to far . didn't mean to giv offense or anything . Just calling it as I see it.
for sure none taken I just havent had any issues with my lights being that high. when i want to stack the nodes i will drop the light down close but then bring it back up to let them grow out a little.

H

happy b

Yes but not with cfl,s . iv got mine as close as I can and theyr still not as tight as I'd like em to be . but hey,every ones got theyr own method.

S

Sadturtle

@Shamus thanks!

The Nevilles Haze that is currently growing is going to be a Mother plant only. I wanted to grow a few (4 total?) more mothers under LED only, is there any light you suggest? All mothers are grown in soil and 4" cubes; the goal was to make bonsai mothers for clones :)

I plan to grow the clones under MH/HPS lights, that shouldn't pose an issue should it? I'm assuming growing the clones under LED (& germination station) then switching over to the bulbs & RDWC = bad?

KushMan707

KushMan707

I guess not the worst.. But in context that was the exact opposite of what needed to be done.. The closer the light the tighter the nodes.

Sorry to come off like a dick
its all good man im not really saying i was right or anything bc we all do things differently. it was just a suggestion. imo his light looked like it was to close and thats why i suggested it. i mean if your seedlings are straight dying and your light is as close as possible why not try moving it away a little bit.

F

FooDoo

Never use led for anything other than home or automotive lighting. I can't wrap my mind around why people started using those and i don't want to even begin to start.

Get yourself a $60 4 bulb t5 fixture off eBay or something.

Didn't you say you spent two years researching? And after two years you arrived at "I need an LED for mom's and seeds? "

F

FooDoo

its all good man im not really saying i was right or anything bc we all do things differently. it was just a suggestion. imo his light looked like it was to close and thats why i suggested it. i mean if your seedlings are straight dying and your light is as close as possible why not try moving it away a little bit.

Because the light isn't what's killing it. Your logic makes no sense. Sorry

Latest posts

Top Bottom