2nd Attempt at hydro - DWC and some mystery seeds

• Thread starter sog1313
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sog1313

sog1313

Hi everybody I'm back for the next round.

Like last time I am growing in a modified 2 door cabinet running 2x 3gal DWC buckets under a 150W HPS and 2x 40W CFL.

Nute lineup will be Botanicare PBP Grow, Bloom, CalMag+, Hydroplex, and AN's Nirvana. Unlike last time I will be switching out the hygrozyme for some good old fashioned food grade H2O2. Towards the end of my last grow the hygrozyme was not helping to keep the root rot away so I'm going to try something else.

I have also decided to add a cloner area in the form of a converted PC case and a little 6 site bubble cloner.

I call the seeds I'm using mystery seeds even though I know where they came from. They are the result of my last soil grow when one of my ladies went herm and pollinated her neighbors. However, I have no idea what the result will be because the fathermother plant got the chop and heshe was the only one I was running. I'm hoping the result will be a stable, feminized, indica dom hybrid. But we shall see.

Seeds went into rockwool cubes on the 8th, sprouted on the 12th, and are now enjoying their 3rd day out of the humidity dome in the cloning/vegging chamber. Water pH moves between 5.3 and 5.9 over 24 hours, and ppm stays pretty constant around 170. I guess they arent eating much yet. Vegging chamber is warm and moist at 75-80 F and 45% RH. Pictures follow.

I know this is nothing spectacular compared to some of the grows I've seen on here but I would appreciate any feedback. This has been mostly a DIY project from the start and I like it that way. KISS. Thanks and good growing!

PS Plant 2 stretched to the light the first day out and got a little scorched :(

2nd attempt at hydro   dwc and some mystery seeds
2nd attempt at hydro   dwc and some mystery seeds 2
2nd attempt at hydro   dwc and some mystery seeds 3
2nd attempt at hydro   dwc and some mystery seeds 4
2nd attempt at hydro   dwc and some mystery seeds 5
2nd attempt at hydro   dwc and some mystery seeds 6
2nd attempt at hydro   dwc and some mystery seeds 7
sog1313

sog1313

Here are some planned changes I have for my setup in the days to come:

-line inside of chamber with mylar (bought the roll last week)
-make and install a cool tube and/or light hood
-after installing said cool tube, upgrade light to 250W HPS/MH switchable
-change airstones to 2x 6" microbubble stick per bucket
-plug in my babies and grow some dank!

peace!

sog1313

sog1313

thanks woody. I'm trying to master the basics before moving on to actually purchasing professional grade equipment and growing plants that have names.

I have mylared the inside of my room and built and installed the cool tube. honestly i'm not very impressed with its performance so far, but then again it has been the warmest season i can remember here. also it is only connected to one side of my chamber, the other end is open to the space. it could be more efficient if i ran a duct to the other side. i'm playing wait-and-see with the upgrade to a 250W system, ultimately depending on my cooling capabilities.

The babies spent their first day in the freshly renovated chamber today and seem to be liking it despite the raised temps. here is a breakdown of their situation:
pH rose from 5.3 to 5.9 overnight. adjusted back down to 5.4
ppm stayed constant at 200
added about 1.5 cups of water back to each bucket
so far no new roots have made it out the bottom of the net pot

pictures to come.

sog1313

sog1313

sorry about the delay on the pictures now that they're in the main chamber my camera can't take a good pic with the HPS running. I'll try to get some shots the next time they go to sleep.

Here is a quick update. We are now day 5 into true veg phase. The plant called #3 has taken a liking to her new home in the big buckets as she has put out lots of new roots and is working on her 5th node of true leaves. Her sister, the one called #2 is not liking it so much. I don't think she has grown any new roots into the bucket yet and she definitely has not grown any new foliage, still working on a 3rd node. I'm starting to get worried honestly. The buckets are prepared exactly the same way but I guess her pheno needs something different.

Here's a breakdown of their conditions:
For #2 pH swings from 5.3 - 6.3 overnight, ppm constant at 200. Water is a little warm at 73F.
For #3 it is mostly the same except she is actually eating as her ppm falls from 200 to about 170 overnight.

Both buckets get daily H2O2 treatments to fight off any growth caused by this hellish, unseasonably warm weather we have here. As far as the setup goes the cooltube seems to be working better, esp when i leave the door cracked. the 250W may not be possible although using the cooltube has allowed me to bring the light much closer than it was, from 18" to about 12" away.

Peace and Good growing!

sog1313

sog1313

Here are a couple quick pics I snapped after lights off. Sorry they suck, it was with my phone. You can clearly see that #3 is doing waaaaay better than #2. It turns out that #2 had a touch of root slime so I did some quick surgery and treated her water, hopefully that will fix it.

1127111149a
sog1313

sog1313

I managed to get some better pictures. Of all things a bit of scrap mylar over my camera lens allowed me to take some decent pics with the lights on. Had to play with the color and brightness a bit but i think they came out OK.

#3 is really starting to take off and seems to be getting along with her bending training regiment, a prelude to LST.

#2 is recovering and hopefully will produce some clones for me.

First 2 pics are #3, last 2 are #2.

Peace and good growing!

0106800003a
0106800003b
sog1313

sog1313

Rez change today! Here is my young veg recipe (for 1.5 gal): 5 mL PBP Grow, 2mL Nirvana, 1 mL CalMag+, 5 mL 29% H2O2, pH adjusted to 5.3. This comes out to roughly 250 ppm although i cant say exactly since the meter was jumping around between 230 and 260. I'll run this for a week and then up their ppm's closer to 500.

#2 had some serious gunk in her water although she had some healthy new roots showing, so I'm hopeful. She looks terrible and if she doesnt perk up in a couple days i'll have to toss her.

#3 is still liking the training and is pushing out lots of side branches from the lower nodes. You can't see them in the pics because her nodes are stacked close together. I hope its a girl this is one of the most vigorous plant i've grown to date and i'd really like to keep her. Just a week ago she was a tiny little sprout now her leaves touch both ends of the netpot :-D

Pics follow. First 2 of #2, second 2 of #3. Included a root shot of #3. They're white i promise its just a shadow.
Peace and good growing!

PS My girlfriend and I are wanting to move to a friendly state. We don't want to be near a big city. We like the cold. Any suggestions farmers?

1130111559a
1130111652a
Tank333

Tank333

Well, if you're looking to move to a MMJ state, may I suggest Washington? We have a decent plant limit at 15, and most counties are at least tolerant of patients growing a personal garden. Unfortunately, in order to find a dispensary, you'd kinda need to be at least close to a big city. King county has the broadest view on it in the state, imo.

sog1313

sog1313

Thanks Tank i'll add king county to the list.

Just a quick update everybody seems to be doing OK after rez change. the leaves on #3 are twisting a bit, I wonder if that could indicate a problem? I remember one of that plant's parents was a bit twisty, maybe its just genes. Any thoughts farmers? You can see it starting to happen in my previous post.

sog1313

sog1313

OK I think (hope) the twisting/curling problem #3 was having has been resolved. I believe it was because the light was too close thereby overexposing the plant to light and causing too much heat around the canopy. so i changed the rez to clear out some slime and moved the light up some. some of the leaves have started to spread out and sort of relax since raising the light and taking measures to increase humidity and decrease ambient temperature. thanks to everybody at the Infirmary who helped out with that one. #2 has made a full recovery as well and has really started to take off. making up for lost time i guess. secondary growth on both is good due to some bending training. more complete update with pics to come.

Latest posts

Top Bottom