2nd Attempt at QWISO Extract

• Thread starter emanresu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
emanresu

emanresu

Taking it more seriously this time. Goal is for the first rinse batch to not turn black. Using activated carbon to help filter this time as well. I am running a first rinse and second rinse batch. You can see the difference in the color. The second is way darker. I will let evaporate again. I don't like the idea of cooking it off.
Containers

2nd attempt at qwiso extract 2

Batches

emanresu

emanresu

I'm about 10 hours after I started. Had a lot of trim, I had to make multiple small batches of both the first and second rinses. That's all finished finally. And this is what it is looking like now. Not a lot of difference, but the plant matter pulling in the second rinse batch is starting. The first rinse looks ok, I guess. Looks better than my first attempt, so that's an improvement. Got a few weed flakes in it somehow. Kind of disappointed about that. Hopefully it won't affect it too much.
A long time later

emanresu

emanresu

About 20 hours after starting the second rinse is pretty well done. First still has some evaporating to do. I'll wait until tomorrow to try it. I don't think it's going to be the color I was shooting for. 😞 I don't think first rinse will be black, but it's not what I wanted. Next time I use bud no trim and nothing that has been sifted for kief. That will probably help out a lot.
Even longer still

emanresu

emanresu

Well, it's close to the color I wanted. Not black but more of a dark brown. There is some plant matter still in it unfortunately. It tastes a heck of a lot better than the first time and I can only take about 4 hits and I'm done. So, a big improvement all around. Next time just using bud no trim and nothing that has been sifted for kief. Going to use the Orian I have growing, I think.
Finsihed product

C

cronicoldguy

If you want clarity and remove the particulate, then a Buchner Funnel and vacuum flask at the least is what you want. Can be had relatively cheap. There are inexpensive options for a vacuum pump.

I dont do QW, or extract at sub zero temps. I extract at room temperature. I do several washes and combine them. I want it all. I can remediate most anything I dont want.

Use <=1.5um Slow filter paper. Filtering can get 'slow' and take a while, so be patient. You will be rewarded. I am presently waiting for some 0.45um membrane stock to arrive. I am excited to see the difference between solution filtered to 1.5um and 0.45um.

Using Carbon:
- Contrary to popular belief, new research has indicated that the the loss of important cannabinoids due to the use of carbon is negligible.
When I first started using Carbon, I was under the assumption that 'more is better'. So I was using it in excess. Then I read a few articals indicating Carbon will leach cannabinoids. So I began using Carbon very sparingly. Today, I use approx. 10g-12g Carbon for every 28g of flower/biomass.
- You will want to filter the carbon out thru DE (diatomaceous earth). Using DE will trap fine plant particulate and other undesirables as well. This is why you want to use a slow filter paper with very small pores.
- A lot of people say to make a 1/4" (+/-) 'cake' of Carbon above a cake of DE in Buchner Funnel. I found for best results, is to mix the carbon directly into the solution and allow to mix for approx. 5mins on magnetic stirrer. Then vacuum filter the solution thru a 1/4"-1/2" cake of DE, using a SLOW filter paper with a pore size of 1.5um or less.

When purged of solvent, the extract is almost the consistency of shatter. I purge the solvent inside my 2L rotovap. I evap off the bulk of solvent in a 500ml or 1000ml boiling flask. Then I filter one more time, and switch to a 250ml boiling flask to finish and purge. My batch size is typically 56g biomass. My biggest extractions being a QP. For me, 56g flower usually yields approx. 10g-11g final extract.

This extract results in a smooth, tastey, and mind bending dab. If using fresh stock, the final extract should taste similar to the flower's aroma.

I highly suggest vacuum filtering thru a Buchner Funnel. Yes, a bit of expense. But again, you will be well rewarded. I got 80% of my labware from Amazon. The rotovap I purchased from LeDab.

This knowledge should be free for all. I am no expert and I dont profess to be one. I am always learning. Just sharing what I have learned, right or wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong. I do not want to spread misinformation.

Top Bottom