2nd Grow. 20,000 Watt Room Help Me Out

• Thread starter Green miled
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Green miled

Hey guys how's it going. First post on here just wanted to talk about my new grow I'm gonna start. 20,000 watt grow. Does anyone know how much power Im gonna consume using 20 1000 watt lights, and it's full setup such as a 5 ton ac unit, a co2 generator and fans and scrubbers. Also if someone could shine some more light on how I should set this room up for maximum potential. This is my second grow, I'm not a professional at all and I have lots to learn. Any tips or advice would be great as I haven't built the rooms yet and I'm still trying to figure everything out. And also what kind of strains is everyone running. Looking for some great strains! Thanks guys

guymandude

guymandude

that's a really big set up for someone who's "not a professional". I in no way mean to insult you, my friend. I am just trying to inject some realism into this. I run 3K watts in flower, 9 different strains, usually about 10-20 clones in veg, 15 plants in flower and at times have trouble keeping up.

Start small and learn. when you know your strains and your nutrients like the back of your hand, then go big.

N

noone88

Theres already tons of advice. Just gotta do some searching. 20k watts is "small" in the legal/medical states.

However, if you want real-world advice, you'll need to pay a consulting fee heh.

guymandude

guymandude

my only worry is that there are way too many people just jumping in and producing substandard (at best) bud. We get the bulk of the crap here in Nebraska that won't sell in Colorado. There's literally tons of the shit and man it's sooooo bad. None of it's flushed. Takes 2 bowls to get a little buzzrd. I mean it's bad. Don't be that grower. Learn the art of growing amazing bud, then go big and apply it

N

noone88

my only worry is that there are way too many people just jumping in and producing substandard (at best) bud. We get the bulk of the crap here in Nebraska that won't sell in Colorado. There's literally tons of the shit and man it's sooooo bad. None of it's flushed. Takes 2 bowls to get a little buzzrd. I mean it's bad. Don't be that grower. Learn the art of growing amazing bud, then go big and apply it

It's only going to get worse. Even on this forum, we've had people come in asking for advice for small to medium size grows with very little to zero growing experience. And we are talking about sizable upfront costs when it comes to equipment and buildout.

Their "packs" would never find a home in the legal/medical states so their only choice is to send it out of state. Or it gets turned into wax / food grade oil.

I think about the shit I grew when I first started in 2009. At best, the shit I grew was "mids" (HAHA) and it was going for almost $3k/unit. Now, in 2016, none of that shit I grew would sell.

With almost 8 years under my belt and about a hundred-plus harvests, my concern when it comes to these "struggle" packs is the health of the consumer. Unflushed and oversprayed flowers is a danger to the smoker.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
It's only going to get worse. Even on this forum, we've had people come in asking for advice for small to medium size grows with very little to zero growing experience. And we are talking about sizable upfront costs when it comes to equipment and buildout.

Their "packs" would never find a home in the legal/medical states so their only choice is to send it out of state. Or it gets turned into wax / food grade oil.

I think about the shit I grew when I first started in 2009. At best, the shit I grew was "mids" (HAHA) and it was going for almost $3k/unit. Now, in 2016, none of that shit I grew would sell.

With almost 8 years under my belt and about a hundred-plus harvests, my concern when it comes to these "struggle" packs is the health of the consumer. Unflushed and oversprayed flowers is a danger to the smoker.
I'm with you, took me a long time to get to where I'm at in my grow. I started small made a lot of mistakes, shredded up a lot of harvests and I mean a lot. I couldn't imagine starting a grow the size a lot of these newbs are trying to build. Imagine firing up 20,000 watts and having no clue how to manage it.

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

The best advice I can offer is to spend every last moment you can on this forum and the other good ones reading everything you can.

The next option is to hire a consultant.

A well setup 20kw room could easily produce 40lbs on the first run if truly dialed from the start. This "dialing" comes at the cost of either your time in research or the time of a consultant. There is no way around that. The best use for a thread like this is to help trouble shoot issues after a start.

To get the most free advice post every single last detail about your grow you can short of where it is. Leaving it up to the people you want advice from to prompt you for information on your scene is a good way to get little help.

Be prepaired for failure. In most states a 1kw ballast cost about $50 a month to run on a 12/12 schedule, check your rates. So before A/C, veg etc you are at $1k in power a month.

What is your pest prevention plan?

Run the genetics you can grow well. I would stick to 4 strains TOPS and I would REALLY recommend running just 1 tried and true cut from a trusted source. At the very least run a cut you love to smoke, it will make you take better care of it.

Less is more. Always.

Soil or hydro? Nutes?

Going into storm season, what is your back up power plan?

S

SHIRDABZALOT

Best real world advice I could give you bro is read read read. I can guarantee you, that you will run into problems on a 20 lighter right out of the gate with little to no experience. I WOULD HIGHLY suggest you start smaller with 1 or 2 strains in soil and learn the fundamentals of growing and go from there. That being said the hardest thing to do in life is to change someone elses mind and it sound like you have yours made up. So for 20 lights your going to need a minimum of 4000 btu's per bulb cooling capacity. 20 x 4=80,000 btu minimum for just lights so figure a 100,000 btu with dehumidifiers and c02 burners. 100,000 ÷ 12,000 btu (1 ton of cooling)= 8 1/3 tons of cooling. At this rate just get (2) 5ton units and it will be 120,000 btu's of cooling and give you some room to grow in the future. Your going to need 10 grand in dehumidifiers at least 4 more like 5 205 dri eaze or Santa fe max dry models. Don't cheap out on those. All in all this will either be a hell of a learning curve for you or you will pull your hair out after failing a time or two. Good luck! The best part is your gonna realize the severity of the situation when you gotta trim out 20-40 units...and grow...and move it out...and transplant the next crop...and...and...and lol

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
20k watts and only your second grow? Bro, I've been doing this for 13 years now. I started with Two 1k's in my garage back then. I have worked my ass off to get where I'm at. There is no way you're going to be able to manage a 20k setup on your second grow. You either need outside help or start smaller.

G

Green miled

The best advice I can offer is to spend every last moment you can on this forum and the other good ones reading everything you can.

The next option is to hire a consultant.

A well setup 20kw room could easily produce 40lbs on the first run if truly dialed from the start. This "dialing" comes at the cost of either your time in research or the time of a consultant. There is no way around that. The best use for a thread like this is to help trouble shoot issues after a start.

To get the most free advice post every single last detail about your grow you can short of where it is. Leaving it up to the people you want advice from to prompt you for information on your scene is a good way to get little help.

Be prepaired for failure. In most states a 1kw ballast cost about $50 a month to run on a 12/12 schedule, check your rates. So before A/C, veg etc you are at $1k in power a month.

What is your pest prevention plan?

Run the genetics you can grow well. I would stick to 4 strains TOPS and I would REALLY recommend running just 1 tried and true cut from a trusted source. At the very least run a cut you love to smoke, it will make you take better care of it.

Less is more. Always.

Soil or hydro? Nutes?

Going into storm season, what is your back up power plan?

Thanks for the reply I appreciate a real answer back. I've consulted and have decided I'm gonna run a 10,000 watt set up if i do something. And I do have expierience in growing I have some buds who grow.
I plan on running soil, probably heavy 16 nutes.
Maybe I'll post some of my nuggs;)

G

Green miled

Best real world advice I could give you bro is read read read. I can guarantee you, that you will run into problems on a 20 lighter right out of the gate with little to no experience. I WOULD HIGHLY suggest you start smaller with 1 or 2 strains in soil and learn the fundamentals of growing and go from there. That being said the hardest thing to do in life is to change someone elses mind and it sound like you have yours made up. So for 20 lights your going to need a minimum of 4000 btu's per bulb cooling capacity. 20 x 4=80,000 btu minimum for just lights so figure a 100,000 btu with dehumidifiers and c02 burners. 100,000 ÷ 12,000 btu (1 ton of cooling)= 8 1/3 tons of cooling. At this rate just get (2) 5ton units and it will be 120,000 btu's of cooling and give you some room to grow in the future. Your going to need 10 grand in dehumidifiers at least 4 more like 5 205 dri eaze or Santa fe max dry models. Don't cheap out on those. All in all this will either be a hell of a learning curve for you or you will pull your hair out after failing a time or two. Good luck! The best part is your gonna realize the severity of the situation when you gotta trim out 20-40 units...and grow...and move it out...and transplant the next crop...and...and...and lol

Haha thank you for the great advice, do you think I could run a 7 ton ac unit for 20 lights or is it too hot? What's some good systems to run. Like when I say that I mean what kind of equipment would you recomend. I have a buddy who owns a hydro store so I'll get a nice discount on stuff. Hoods, ballasts, controllers, co2 generators, just tryna see what people are using

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

Good call man. 10k will be hard, but it wont breaak you off. Make sure you run at least 2 lights of a plant you know and love. It will most likely save your ass.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

If you got the AC covered and the height, I'd go with gavita's all day no question. 10k is going to cost you a couple grand a month to run on the grid.

guymandude

guymandude

I haven't flushed in 4 yrs. So please don't use that bs excuse. Flush toilets, NOT your plants, unless you fucked up.

if you've ever tasted the garbage bud that comes here from Colorado, you'd change your tune. The shit tastes spicy and, well, like chemicals, the ash in the bowl is gooey black and makes you hack. it's gross. don't be that guy

i give plain water the last week and half and my buds smoke like you're drinking a fine wine. And yes, I've been growing for 10 years - I don't buy into your sarcasm

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Flush buds for a start on your curing and drying, and gives that much coveted fade. There is NO argument on this matter. I have done both and the one I didn't flush was harsh garbage. Flush= professional.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Synonym: Evil Trichomes, suiting. Because it's pretty evil to those precious Trichomes to let the sit on top of unflushed bud. LOL:cry::kiss:

Top Bottom