2nd time I've had this problem post transplant with AC infinity bags what am I doing wrong

• Thread starter simonkay
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
simonkay

simonkay

Hi all, I'm using these AC infinity breathable 1gal pots that can be dropped into the next pot directly, they say for less transplant shock & I'm re using some of these pots as they don't bio degrade that quick, you can see the roots have grown through an old pot.

Problem is this my 2nd run & both times plants have drooped a lot then the leaves start drying up quick & falling off. I figured I wasn't feeding enough plus the watering without nutrients during transplant probably made the soil even weaker for PPMs so I since given it a good feed but still 6days after transplant they look like this.

I'm in soil with GH flora nova with calmg plus some pre amendments in soil like lime, myco, bone, feather meals under 150w LED @ 18" (not directly centre but side of light)

Can anyone advise why both times this has happened, is it lack of food, water, or light intensity

2nd time ive had this problem post transplant with ac infinity bags what am i doing wrong
2nd time ive had this problem post transplant with ac infinity bags what am i doing wrong 2
2nd time ive had this problem post transplant with ac infinity bags what am i doing wrong 3
2nd time ive had this problem post transplant with ac infinity bags what am i doing wrong 4
2nd time ive had this problem post transplant with ac infinity bags what am i doing wrong 5
2nd time ive had this problem post transplant with ac infinity bags what am i doing wrong 6
ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

I've never tried this, so just thinking out loud: I'm not a fan of anything that holds additional water/gets in the way of drainage. I wonder if the "pot-in-a-pot" approach contributes to over-watering, by keeping more water in the pot longer. The texture in your fan leaves suggests over-watering to me.

simonkay

simonkay

I've never tried this, so just thinking out loud: I'm not a fan of anything that holds additional water/gets in the way of drainage. I wonder if the "pot-in-a-pot" approach contributes to over-watering, by keeping more water in the pot longer. The texture in your fan leaves suggests over-watering to me.
Thank you for feedback, just to add 1st transplant I bottom watered & even though it was heavy it drooped for a week until I top watered & it got ok, so I figured you need time for roots to grow out so 2nd time I top watered & first day or 2 didnt look so bad, 3rd day was drooping more so top fed 200 ml next 2 days leaves got brown real quick so figured it must be hungry as i hadnt given nutrients for 7 days so top fed it on Wednesday (yesterday) with 475 ml of feed as pots felt half light
Today still drooping and pots don't feel too heavy but the soil looks wet so maybe I should just wait a couple days?

simonkay

simonkay

Also to add, since last week I've gone from average temps of 25-30c to 22-26 last night which has made the Rh go up for a couple days till I switch off the cool mode on a/c so beginning to think it's drying back slower?

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

In soil, I water slowly to runoff and don't water again until the pots are very light. How long that takes will depend on the relationship of the plant size to the pot size. I'd expect your plants in those pots to go 8 or 10 days between waterings. I run amended soil in veg, so my first real feeding is usually a few weeks into flower. There are lots of ways to grow...that's just how I do it.

simonkay

simonkay

In soil, I water slowly to runoff and don't water again until the pots are very light. How long that takes will depend on the relationship of the plant size to the pot size. I'd expect your plants in those pots to go 8 or 10 days between waterings. I run amended soil in veg, so my first real feeding is usually a few weeks into flower. There are lots of ways to grow...that's just how I do it.
Thanks I was watering every 2-4 days during the summer as the fabric pots dry out quick here thinking it might be closer to 4-6 now I've also put up the lights as I had them turned down for a few days thinking the plant was stressed from the transplant

simonkay

simonkay

I'm still trying to figure out why the bottom leaves turned brown & died in a few short days, does that usually indicate hunger?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Did you use the two bag approach on your first grow? I don’t like the looks of it and wouldn’t even consider it! I think fear of transplant shock is vastly overstated! I haven’t transplanted all that many, but well over 100! And I don’t ever remember them ever skipping a beat! In my opinion is the easiest thing you can do! Just my two cents! Good luck! Fear not, the transplant!

simonkay

simonkay

Did you use the two bag approach on your first grow? I don’t like the looks of it and wouldn’t even consider it! I think fear of transplant shock is vastly overstated! I haven’t transplanted all that many, but well over 100! And I don’t ever remember them ever skipping a beat! In my opinion is the easiest thing you can do! Just my two cents! Good luck! Fear not, the transplant!
Yeh I might skip it on the 3rd and see how it goes, I'm guessing it takes a few days for the roots to stretch out the bag

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
Yeh I might skip it on the 3rd and see how it goes, I'm guessing it takes a few days for the roots to stretch out the bag
When going from 1/4 gal to 5 gal pot it’ll take me about 3 weeks of constantly upping my inputs to get to the point where the root mass will take up 1 gal every 3 days. Personally, I’d steer clear of the double potting and bottom feeding. I know people who feed from the bottom but I’ve seen it cause issues for quite a few of them. Let them dry out thoroughly. Once you think they’re bone dry, wait until the next day and then water. Definitely not if the soil looks or feels wet. As far as feeding after transplanting, I feed lightly but not with salt based nuts. With those you could probably water a few times before feeding. Any decent soil will allow you that latitude. Best of luck!

P

Putthataway

Did you separate half the roots from the plant on the second to last picture?

simonkay

simonkay

Thanks @Neuro
I usually dont have issues with bottom watering it's just for the transplant. I'm guessing with the double pot i need to soak the 1gal degradables first before they grow into the 3 gals. But I'm probably gonna cut away with scissors and just transplant normal next time.
I usually wait to see some lower leaf droop before watering, do you think I should wait for the whole plant to droop and would it be wise to feed half strength synth nutes when doing the up pot. Tia 🙏

F

fishmon

I usually go from solo to 1 gal nursery then to 5 gal so 2 transplants per plant. I always sprinkle mikorhizza on the root ball and in the hole. Haven't seen any negative effects except one. It drooped a bit for a day and was off to the races. Nothing to it really. Some of the myko powders are pretty pricey and maybe justifiably so but I've had satisfactory results with the brand mykobliss and it's considerably cheaper.

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
Thanks @Neuro
I usually dont have issues with bottom watering it's just for the transplant. I'm guessing with the double pot i need to soak the 1gal degradables first before they grow into the 3 gals. But I'm probably gonna cut away with scissors and just transplant normal next time.
I usually wait to see some lower leaf droop before watering, do you think I should wait for the whole plant to droop and would it be wise to feed half strength synth nutes when doing the up pot. Tia 🙏
I would go half when uppotting. Different strokes for different folks but when going up from solo or 1/4 gallon I prefer to start with about a cup of water at that size and increase at about one cup or 8oz. every other 3 day period, gradually working outwards from the stem and root mass. It really depends on your environment and genetics. You'll learn what underwatered looks like a lot faster and with less problems than overwatering imho. As with anything, you can always add more.

BB22

BB22

OP

No way . Bag inside a bag. Because of transplant shock ? Dude

Edit to add , Sorry that sounded way more helpful in my head , you can do better. ✌️

Top Bottom