2nd was a bust... Third Time Is A Charm!!! 3rd Hydro Grow

• Thread starter AnselAdams
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Oh Shit!

so much for trusting the stat sheets.... The ones on the left may be alright They are tied to the scrog net for about 18 in (except for the very center). The girls on the right are going to be an issue for certain. Outside is not an option, and I don't have lights to just put them in a DWC bucket in the open room. Gonna have to thunk on it for a day or two.

Well to say things are over crowded is an understatement. As can be seen in the photos, i am completely out of room and have no way to move them. I have performed some LST magic but that only went so far. I was able to lay down about 6 healthy main stem which now have long full buds. It is a good thing i decided to leave the five late comers alone and not top them (Thanks Aquaman!). 3 of them have a single main cola, so i am going to promote those by trimming most of what is below the primary bud. The fourth is just too short and will probably fall to the knife. All it has is small buds and it falls in the lie of the taller ones mentioned above.

As for the rest of the jungle.... i think i am just going to pray and hope for the best. I have about 6-8 main cola's that are of respectable size and the canopy is dense. No light penetrates beyond 18 inches max, so every thing below that is coming out.

I have placed extra fans in the bottom to force air up through the canopy as well as a couple blowing down.

As luck would have it, i lost an entire bank of LED's in one of my lights. 😏 Contacted the vendor and they started they the RMA and said i could wait until the grow was finished.

On the last plant that was topped. It was late & slow so i simply cut off the main stalk (a beheading) to hopefull force grow to happen on the remaining branches lower down. We'll see. lol (i will probably do the same to those touching the light. The sooner, the better i think).

Bottom line here is that it is a real shit show. I will get some large buds, but there will also be a lot of waste, I will milk them all i can and cut only when each is ready. However this will delay the start of my next grow. So be it.. I have learned my lesson; i have been humbled... again!

20191108 155437
20191108 155446
20191112 165643
20191112 165707
20191112 165726
20191112 165755
20191112 165802
20191112 165812
20191112 165827
20191112 165829
20191112 165927
20191112 165936
20191112 165959
20191112 170039
2019 11 09 18 39 39
2019 11 09 18 40 21
Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well to say things are over crowded is an understatement. As can be seen in the photos, i am completely out of room and have no way to move them. I have performed some LST magic but that only went so far. I was able to lay down about 6 healthy main stem which now have long full buds. It is a good thing i decided to leave the five late comers alone and not top them (Thanks Aquaman!). 3 of them have a single main cola, so i am going to promote those by trimming most of what is below the primary bud. The fourth is just too short and will probably fall to the knife. All it has is small buds and it falls in the lie of the taller ones mentioned above.

As for the rest of the jungle.... i think i am just going to pray and hope for the best. I have about 6-8 main cola's that are of respectable size and the canopy is dense. No light penetrates beyond 18 inches max, so every thing below that is coming out.

I have placed extra fans in the bottom to force air up through the canopy as well as a couple blowing down.

As luck would have it, i lost an entire bank of LED's in one of my lights. 😏 Contacted the vendor and they started they the RMA and said i could wait until the grow was finished.

On the last plant that was topped. It was late & slow so i simply cut off the main stalk (a beheading) to hopefull force grow to happen on the remaining branches lower down. We'll see. lol (i will probably do the same to those touching the light. The sooner, the better i think).

Bottom line here is that it is a real shit show. I will get some large buds, but there will also be a lot of waste, I will milk them all i can and cut only when each is ready. However this will delay the start of my next grow. So be it.. I have learned my lesson; i have been humbled... again!
Feel your pain bro I vegged almost 1.5 weeks to long last grow ... Fucking stressful.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
UPDATE:

It looks like we are in the final lap. The girlls are growing nicely and the fan leaves are beginning to turn. I will be spending all of the weekend trimming the fan leaves and thinning where i can to give the tops all of the light possible these last two weeks.

I have also started to top off only with RO with no additives; I will continue this to harvest which i estimate to be in about two weeks for most of the plants. Of course that can change. I believe the most effective method of harvest is going to be a rolling harvest where I clip those that are ready about every three days. Again, the timing can always be changed depending on conditions.

I apologize for the Blurple light, but i could not get white light that far back.

20191122 172102
20191122 172115
20191122 172127
20191122 172132
20191122 172140
20191122 172152
20191122 171621
20191122 171652
20191122 171659
20191122 171918
20191122 171953
20191122 172004
20191122 172013
20191122 172023
20191122 172042
2019 11 22 17 25 12
2019 11 22 17 31 22
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Update!

Today I spent 4.5 hours thinning out my plants. I must say the look much better than I expected. The canopy went from being passing no light through to where not the light reaches down to the rez again. Some of the larger colas had not developed well because of the over-crowed conditions did not allow the light to penetrate more than about 12-14 inches. I expect there will be a greening of the lower/shorter plants.

I have 3 colas on the left/older plant that are as big around as my wrist and longer than my hand (tip of forefinger to wrist, and I'm 6'3") and about 5 more on that plant about half that size. That is the plant that was topped. The younger girls 3 small undersized plants (crowded conditions did not give them enough room or light) each have a single main cola that are currently about 2 fingers wide and almost as long as my hand.

Looking at their conditions, i think a two week flush and the older plant will be finished. As for the younger ones, i think i am going to check the cola in two weeks. If they are ready i will take them and let the other branches continue to grow just to see what I can get out of them.

The first two photos are the BEFORE shots and the last three are AFTER shots.

🍻

20191112 165643
20191112 170039
20191124 005906
20191124 005931
20191124 010201
Last edited:
Indiva710

Indiva710

U should of lst and super cropped ur plants and actually utilize that scrog...Also you might want to add another layer to ur scrog just change the attachment points on it and ratchet straps work great for them..Not sure if the screws in your net get in your way but if they do you could just finished drilling the holes all the way thru the net and then thread them thru as that's how I did mine the 2nd time and it's much much better the screen is more even and square and tought too which is nice. As I have dreads and mine kept getting caught in the screws which just wasn't working for me...
If you used 3/4 PVC for your scrog you could use 1in cross for the 2nd level scrog and it will be adjustable...
20190606 222038

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
U should of lst and super cropped ur plants and actually utilize that scrog...Also you might want to add another layer to ur scrog just change the attachment points on it and ratchet straps work great for them..Not sure if the screws in your net get in your way but if they do you could just finished drilling the holes all the way thru the net and then thread them thru as that's how I did mine the 2nd time and it's much much better the screen is more even and square and tought too which is nice. As I have dreads and mine kept getting caught in the screws which just wasn't working for me...
If you used 3/4 PVC for your scrog you could use 1in cross for the 2nd level scrog and it will be adjustable...View attachment 913874

Thank You, I like that idea.! Along with limiting myself to two plants in that cabinet, should allow me the room to do it correctly.

I am going to be using the same seeds, from the same vendor; however i will only attempt to germ three (playing the odds that one won't pop). I will also raise the first level to about 18 above the rez top and strip off every thing below. Now that i have been through this a couple of times, it is not so traumatic then the clipping and cutting begins.

I did use LST but i did it too early. I was able to get a couple more colas per plant but not what i was hoping for when i started this grow. However my dumb ass germ'd too many (rookie-itus) and over populated the cabinet. So I paid the price.

Live & Learn... God willing, there will be another grow. 🍻 🍻

Indiva710

Indiva710

You saying you popped too many beans all depends on the beans fem,regular,autos etc..How are you liking your superponics setup...I have the 2x2 well it's actually 24x21 I.d of it...However I use it for propagating and if I get a male stud I like and don't have anything else going in it I'll flower males in it or I set up my other 2x2 and that one I can fit 4 5gal buckets which is really nice as dwc buckets fit in there perfect...
Also there really isn't a specific height for scrogging it mainly depends on ur grow room..Like how much height you have to play with..And the plant itself..See I supercrop mine so I scrog that way and the 2nd and or 3rd layer of trellis is strictly for bud weight I also like to make the scrogs a diff size from the top and bottom ones but not always my nets I have now uses both 4in squares I have a 3rd net too I can use if needed...
Ya lollipop trimming is a must have IMO esp indoors not only does it give the ladies airflow under their skirts lol but u dont have all that larf trash and the plant can put her energy into the top colas fuck the edible material vs top grade...
the buds being that close to the lights is pretty concerning maybe lst them and get them away from that light before it gives unrepairable damage....If it hasn't already...Also depends what week ur in too..
. Not sure if ur cabinet has the shelf on the top or the bottom as they used to be on top and now the new ones are on the bottom which I would much rather have but o well it is what it is. But u could move the shelf if yours is on top and get you a extra 16in or so which your ladies would thank-you for tremendously...If that's a 2x4 you flower in you could do 4 plants too if not and do a lil more pheno hunting for a plant u love and want to breed with lol...
. However I believe u run autos since u were talking seeds from the same breeder instead taking clones which can't happen w autos...I've seen ppl with auto who grow their plants to about 12in tall and they will supercrop about 4in from the bottom and it worked really well for them that way...
. I've also seen ppl grow them in a spiral and just lst them about the hole time wait til the plant will make it to the end of the pot lst and just have it grow around the pot and u end up with a nice manifold and some nice colas for autos might want to give it a try..
. I'm not a auto guy tho I like being able to take clones and breed anything I want.

Indiva710

Indiva710

You saying you popped too many beans all depends on the beans fem,regular,autos etc..How are you liking your superponics setup...I have the 2x2 well it's actually 24x21 I.d of it...However I use it for propagating and if I get a male stud I like and don't have anything else going in it I'll flower males in it or I set up my other 2x2 and that one I can fit 4 5gal buckets which is really nice as dwc buckets fit in there perfect...
Also there really isn't a specific height for scrogging it mainly depends on ur grow room..Like how much height you have to play with..And the plant itself..See I supercrop mine so I scrog that way and the 2nd and or 3rd layer of trellis is strictly for bud weight I also like to make the scrogs a diff size from the top and bottom ones but not always my nets I have now uses both 4in squares I have a 3rd net too I can use if needed...
Ya lollipop trimming is a must have IMO esp indoors not only does it give the ladies airflow under their skirts lol but u dont have all that larf trash and the plant can put her energy into the top colas fuck the edible material vs top grade...
the buds being that close to the lights is pretty concerning maybe lst them and get them away from that light before it gives unrepairable damage....If it hasn't already...Also depends what week ur in too..
. Not sure if ur cabinet has the shelf on the top or the bottom as they used to be on top and now the new ones are on the bottom which I would much rather have but o well it is what it is. But u could move the shelf if yours is on top and get you a extra 16in or so which your ladies would thank-you for tremendously...If that's a 2x4 you flower in you could do 4 plants too if not and do a lil more pheno hunting for a plant u love and want to breed with lol...
. However I believe u run autos since u were talking seeds from the same breeder instead taking clones which can't happen w autos...I've seen ppl with auto who grow their plants to about 12in tall and they will supercrop about 4in from the bottom and it worked really well for them that way...
. I've also seen ppl grow them in a spiral and just lst them about the hole time wait til the plant will make it to the end of the pot lst and just have it grow around the pot and u end up with a nice manifold and some nice colas for autos might want to give it a try..
. I'm not a auto guy tho I like being able to take clones and breed anything I want.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

I love both of my closets. I have the 2x2 and a 2x4 i use the 2x2 for germ and veg. Then i move them to the 2x4. Auto Train Wreck was not supposed to get above about 3 feet. Well that didn't happen. I had only one of the seeds grow to about 24 inches and budded nicely. However the other plant overshadowed it and stunted the growth of all but two of the colas. I removed the shelf in the 2x2 after my first grow. (Running Out Of Room, Need Suggestions Please!!). Then i made further mods to make the cabinet more useful. ==> Let's Do It Again!!! 2nd Hydro Grow .

Based on experience to date, i think i can get two plants to grow to full potential in the 2x4. I intend to move up to 6" net pots and will cluster 6 airstones in about a 12-14 inch diameter circle directly under the 6 inch hole. If the third bean does pop; I plan on using the 2x2 with a single 6 in net pot. The rez on the 2x2 is 10 gallons so it should be fine.... I hope, at that point all i really have is a single bucket dwc.

The 2x4 used for flowering, has a 40 gallon res so I am hoping to see some explosive root growth. My expectations could be too high, but it give me something to shoot for. The exploring of the options is part of the fun of doing this. My ultimate goal is to get to the point where i can run two sets of two of a good producer. This auto train wreck seems like a good place to start.

If these actually harvest in two no later than three weeks then, and IF i can get the beans to pop the first time out; then i should be able to get the next batch started and finished before my March 20th to New Zealand.

We'll see 🍻

Indiva710

Indiva710

I imagine your 40gal res is a top off for bloom as having a top off and the plants keeping constant levels they really appreciate..
So for seeds tbh I really like the superponics dwc top feed esp the top feed for early on makes it as a set it and forget it just about which is great..As I was using that however I built a lpa/fogponics cloner / pre veg and early veg as it's a 17gal commander tote it has about 5gal in it tho and so far it's been working great.. However having a seal on the lid is a must have for lpa...
Do you have any pics of the back of your bloom tote on how it's all hooked up thanks
IMG 20191124 212923
IMG 20191124 212928

These clones are getting tossed they was just a experiment I was running with a few things there was more plants in there too doing diff plant training like manifold and mainline and doing it diff variations too like how many branches etc ..Also lighting schedule of 4hr on 2hr off x4 a day however I had to cut it short I only did it for a few wks and have mixed results so will have to do it again some other time def not doing that shit on a fire strain and a seed of all ...As clones aren't really a big deal and all...

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I imagine your 40gal res is a top off for bloom as having a top off and the plants keeping constant levels they really appreciate..
So for seeds tbh I really like the superponics dwc top feed esp the top feed for early on makes it as a set it and forget it just about which is great..As I was using that however I built a lpa/fogponics cloner / pre veg and early veg as it's a 17gal commander tote it has about 5gal in it tho and so far it's been working great.. However having a seal on the lid is a must have for lpa...
Do you have any pics of the back of your bloom tote on how it's all hooked up thanks
View attachment 914032View attachment 914033
These clones are getting tossed they was just a experiment I was running with a few things there was more plants in there too doing diff plant training like manifold and mainline and doing it diff variations too like how many branches etc ..Also lighting schedule of 4hr on 2hr off x4 a day however I had to cut it short I only did it for a few wks and have mixed results so will have to do it again some other time def not doing that shit on a fire strain and a seed of all ...As clones aren't really a big deal and all...

I have a suggestion for you. You can gain about 18 inches of headroom by moving the canisters to the outside of the cabinet. You will have to reverse the canisters to the other side of the fan unit (so that they extract warm, humid air from the cabinet out through the filters).

20190122 214316 1
2019 11 25 17 28 05
2019 11 25 17 28 29
2019 11 25 17 28 52
2019 11 25 17 29 24
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
HARVEST UPDATE!!!

Well it looks like the first large cut will be next weekend. I will take the largest 4 colas and leave the others for another week and see where we end up.

These photos were taken ten days apart. The top photo was taken today; the second was taken on Nov. 24. This is the oldest of the 4 surviving plants.

Still topping off with just plain RO water. Over the Thanksgiving holiday I was gone for 5 days. Concerned that I had no one i trusted to enter the grow room; I set up three 5 gallon water bottles, each with a pump attached leading to a pvc manifold, then into the res. each pump was plugged into a single three out wi-fi timer on which each outlet could be triggered individually. I could top-off on schedule by simply using my phone. 🍻 😎

here is the link to the unit. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3KSKN...colid=IZTXWOF2S7GC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The other photos are of the huge fist size buds that I intend to cut next Sunday.

20191203 170429
20191124 005931
20191203 170246
20191203 170254
20191203 170407
20191203 170519
20191203 170530
20191203 170541
2019 12 03 17 46 55
2019 12 03 17 50 06
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

HARVEST UPDATE!!!

Well it looks like the first large cut will be next weekend. I will take the largest 4 colas and leave the others for another week and see where we end up.

These photos were taken ten days apart. The top photo was taken today; the second was taken on Nov. 24. This is the oldest of the 4 surviving plants.

Still topping off with just plain RO water. Over the Thanksgiving holiday I was gone for 5 days. Concerned that I had no one i trusted to enter the grow room; I set up three 5 gallon water bottles, each with a pump attached leading to a pvc manifold, then into the res. each pump was plugged into a single three out wi-fi timer on which each outlet could be triggered individually. I could top-off on schedule by simply using my phone. 🍻 😎

here is the link to the unit. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3KSKN...colid=IZTXWOF2S7GC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The other photos are of the huge fist size buds that I intend to cut next Sunday.

Huge budz!!! Nice work.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Update!

Things got dicey on Friday. Came home and found the rez was leaking badly. When i found it, things must have just failed (luck) as it was a rapid drip, but only about 2 gallons in the spill tray (res holds 45 gal). I quickly moved the plants back to the other cabinet where the nuits were at half strength in anticipation of the new arrivals (Better than nothing). I figured out what parts i needed and got the Amazon bots moving. Delivery was supposed to be Saturday morning, which was fine because it was going to take some time to dry and paint the wooden base before I added the new & improved plumbing connections.

As it turned out my plumbing parts were coming from a metal shop in Midland, Texas; Enough said. Delivery was not made until 2pm today.

I got the rez repairs completed and pumped the 45 gallons of saved water back into the rez and did my total leak check. Checked the PH & other metrics and all were good. I added Life+ root protector which raised my PPM to 880

The sprouts were not affected, except to be moved from one cabinet to the other. I kept on only the T5's.

Now for the bad news. The center growth on both plants looks good (no spots or discoloration) however the larger leaves appear to be TOAST. Seems it did not like the drop in nuits, even if it was only for 2-3 days. I suspect a week of growth and these "leper" leaves will shrink and die off.

Hey buddy, Primary leafs are the first top show signs of health issues, and those are not looking good.

Come by my thread to see my newest method to get lots of DO as well as circulate the nutes.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
UPDATE: First Harvest, Largest buds.

As planned, I took the largest colas so as to provide more light to the lower/less developed buds.

I will be bringing the RH down to the 50-55% range for the next two weeks of lights out. Christmas is looking very, very good for the first smoke report.

Stay tuned 🍻 😎 😁

20191208 074359
20191208 074421
20191208 074502
20191208 074526
20191208 074643
20191208 074718
20191208 074729
20191208 074753
20191208 074803
20191208 074810
20191208 074827
20191208 075634
20191208 075641
2019 12 08 8 10 49
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
The photos show that i appear to have been successful in my plans for increasing the amount of light reaching the other colas.

20191208 082432
20191208 082442
20191208 082451
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
These finally fell over; so i took it as a sign that it was time to chop'em. Adding three more buds to the drying cabinet (DDRE aka the grow cabinet).

Total wet harvest weight so far approx. 1100g lets see what it is like on Christmas Eve. 😲

20191209 165622
20191209 165646
20191209 165711
2019 12 09 17 53 12
Last edited:
Top Bottom