2x4 Tent for Mothers, what type of lighting and medium?

• Thread starter djcronos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

djcronos

Hi all,

After 2 years of growing from clones in a hydro grow box, I've decided to grow from seeds. I found the seeds I want and are getting them shipped as we speak. I'm excited! :banana:

I've read on some of the different ways to grow them, and I have a few friends who tell me I should grow my mothers in soil, as it is less maintenance.

The goal is to get a 2x4 grow tent to house 2 mothers for my personal cloning. That should be enough space and mothers to clone for up to 32 clones, right? I will be transferring the clones to an AquaMist system.

I've been told to germinate the seeds, then transfer them to small cups with soil and place them under florescents. Once they are big enough, put them in 5 gallon pots and place them under Metal Halides. I don't know what nutrients to use though, or how much light I need without going overboard.

Would a single 400W MH bulb be enough? Is that too much for two mothers?

How long should I grow my mothers until they are ready to clone, given the amount I am looking to clone?

Since I'm looking for a low maintenance system, would soil be the best way to go? What about getting some rubbermaid bins and building a small aeroponic/hydroponic system for both of them? Would that be more hassle than soil? Do I even need to use nutrients for mothers? If so, how basic of a feeding schedule can I have without sacrificing results?

Do any of you have any links you can throw my way? After writing this post it sounds like I don't know as much as I thought I did on this aspect of growing :)

Thanks a bunch!

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Soil and a 4foot/4 or 6 bulb T5 fixture is probably your easiest hassle free, heat controllable setup goin...a 400w is way over kill for maintaining a couple mothers and takin a few cuts here and there.

I like Subby's super soil alot these days...

Tex

D

djcronos

Thanks TK, it's an honor for you to comment on my post :)

2x4 is too small, eh? Would 2x4 work for one?

D

djcronos

I'm looking at the 4' 6 bulb Tek-Light and it's 15" wide. The reason I'm pushing for a 2x4 is space limitations, but if a 4x4 is recommended then I'll find a way.

JH420

JH420

Also don't transplant straight from the cups to the 5 gallon buckets...actually I wouldn't got that big at all I'd use 2-3 gallons then you'd have room for a couple extra mothers, nice to have some variety imho..

L

livinglegend

i would go 600w digital.
during this time of year its really easy to cool lights too.
im also a strong believer in root structure too. I go from cups, to 1 gals, to 3 gal and finish in 5's.

goodluck.

J

Joe Blow

Save yourself some money and buy lumber and build a mom room. Tents are the shits to grow in.( notice i didn't say THE shit) I just sold mine and bought lumber. A good sealed room is much easier to work than any tent on the market.

D

djcronos

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the great comments!

If it's better to start off in cups, then go to 1 gal then 3 gal then 5 to develop strong root structure, I'm all for that. I too am a believer of strong root structure as I've noticed the differences in my previous hydro grows from clones.

Let's say I get the seeds, then grow veg under a 6-8 bulb T5 fixture. How long from seed to mother (before I can take cuttings) would it take? 2-3 months? How often do I water them throughout their lifespan? Since I want these mothers in soil, 6.5 is the pH I should look for, right?

TK mentioned Subby's Super Soil, anyone else have any recommendations? What about Fox Farms? I have a buddy who swears by that stuff, but since I've never done soil I'd like to get other people's opinions on that.

s4m - thanks for the link. Those are definitely cheaper than the Tek-Lights I saw, but there's 2 more bulbs. Looks like I have to research these a bit more :)

You guys rock!

D

djcronos

Oh and the reason I want to get a tent is because I love the idea of an air/light tight area that will (hopefully) allow me to control temperature (and help mask the smell compared to my previous setup) a little better. The tent will be placed in a room that I normally put a portable A/C unit in, but I'm hoping with using a tent, I'll be able to keep the excessive heat from the lights exhausting out the room.

I've read up on building my own boxes, and I even priced them out, but for some reason I keep drifting back to these grow tents.

Top Bottom