3.75" net pot into 8" net pot

• Thread starter babyhughie586
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
babyhughie586

babyhughie586

i have a uc8xl and i have been wanting to make a small pre-veg unit out of a 25 gallon storage tote with 12- 3.75" net pots in it... My question is does anyone or has anyone done this before??? Did it work good?? My problem is that im not sure if I can transplant the whole 3.75" net pot directly into the 8" net pot once i have a nice root system.. It seems as if the holes in the 3.75" wouldnt be big enough for the roots once they are rockin and rolling in the UC...

Any comments and or experience/help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks Fellas

Greeneye04

Greeneye04

I have done a similiar setup for veg... The problems I ran into were when transplanting.. It's seemed the larger the root mass the harder it was for them to adjust once transplanted into 8 " basket.. Worked pretty well if i only vegged for a week or two max in smaller baskets before root mass was to big and just had tails hanging out of baskets an inch or so ...

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

i found the best thing to do is scrap the 3.75 net pots , and veg directly in 8 inch net pot . then when veged put the 8 inch pot right into the uc .

sky high

sky high

I'm with Big daddy. I set up a ebb/flow system that all of my 9" mesh baskets would fit in and transferred them directly into the UC when the time was right. Tried smaller mesh baskets and transplanting.....and it did work but they stalled a lot more.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Same as Greeny over here as well.....UC has lids for the 5-1/4" inch net pots and I have used those all the way thru from the veg tables right into the UC but I didn't get the same size and vigor from the plant as I did in the 8"

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I have been working out what works best for me and so far I have veged them in the 8" pots on a flood and drain table but that takes up too much room. I have grown in 4" rockwool and and than into the pots and I have started them in 6" net pots than when ready to go put them in a 10" net pot with the center cut out (1 1/2" hole) to drop the roots through, this appears to be working well.

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

I have been working out what works best for me and so far I have veged them in the 8" pots on a flood and drain table but that takes up too much room. I have grown in 4" rockwool and and than into the pots and I have started them in 6" net pots than when ready to go put them in a 10" net pot with the center cut out (1 1/2" hole) to drop the roots through, this appears to be working well.
ideally i would get a nice big 4x4 flood table and make it into a custom dwc but like you said that takes up to much room that i dont have at the moment.. your idea for vegging in 6in and then cutting out the centers is a great idea but how do u keep the hydroton/growstones ect. from fallin through the 1 1/2" hole??

Greeneye04

Greeneye04

Current culture is releasing there own bubble tray or veg system of sorts. Soon .., not sure the details but i saw a pic of it at the store the other day.they are 8" baskets so u can place them directly into uc. I just built a 4x4 tray like the one q9 has in his thread. Gonna give that a whirl... Seems veggi g in the 8" basket is key. Just avoid the transplanting to different pots all together .. Just pick up and put into uc.

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

the new cloner that current culture has commin out is pretty sweet.. Its one of their big UC Pro buckets with a lid and i think 8 8"net pots in it...You can check out pics on their website if you click on the catalog on the right side of their homepage...

I would love to have one or even make one similar to that but as i said before i dont have the space for it i have like a 2x4 area to work with.. Anyone else try the transplant with smaller net pots into the 8" with any success??? Right now i am going straight from my DWC cloner to the UC and it takes atleast 1.5 weeks before they grow at all... It drives me crazy because i feel like im wasting power... I have 2x1000w lights over these tiny little clones in the system.....

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

what about a 2x4 rez bucket that would be tall enough for the net pots?? i did a brief search with no success... it would have to be long/wide/tall enough for 8 8"net pots... it doesnt have to be a rez as long as it has a lid and fits the requirements id make it work... If anyone has any ideas let me know... As for now im off to bed its 4am and ive been racking my brain about this setup all day...

Also wanted to give a heads up to anyone that wants to buy the new CC netpots i just ordered mine along with CS nutes from hydrobuilder.com $8 each is a decent price

Camnibus

Camnibus

I've tried it with ten, the roots tangle. So now I veg in solo cup hempys under fluorescents, they transplant without much shock/stall into whatever size net pot. They take up almost no room, and there's no seperate system to watch. I know, they're to small for most, but after a week in the system you'd never know they came out of party cups.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

I used to top feed mine throughout veg 3 times a day, I do the same for the first week in the UC. I kept my water level 1-2in below the net pots for about 3-4 days of that week, until my roots popped and made its way towards the UC stew, then I raised to the bottom of the pots. For the last week before they hit the UC and the first week in I try not to hit the cubes while watering. This worked very well and I really had no complaints other than having to use my room to veg instead as a straight flower room, as I always needed that week for my roots to become UC style roots. My plants continued to grow as they did when I was top feeding and after 4-6 days they were at UC growth speed.

For my last two runs I have been running bubble trays. They work great, but you still will have the sane entry into the tray as you will the UC. Beating that stall goes for the tray just as it does the UC. One thing I did with my bubble trays lid is instead of drilling holes for the net pots I made ny lids with cut out rows so I can keep my net pots in my lid. This helps in a couple ways, I don't have to squeeze roots out of a hole and back into the hole in the lid and I also use the lids to cover each cut row keeping light out but a simple lift or slide to check roots. Depending on what size I want to veg tells me how many per tray. I start out with 16, four rows of four, while clones. I only need 12 so by the end I run two tray with 6 in each, but grown big for trees. This allows me to bypass vegging in the UC , which also saves me on the amount of lighting used in veg. I still will veg a week in the UC before flower but that will only be to get them used to lighting and train for space. I really like these set ups but it does all come down to having enough space to run a table or two while your UC is steadily making flowers.

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

I've tried it with ten, the roots tangle. So now I veg in solo cup hempys under fluorescents, they transplant without much shock/stall into whatever size net pot. They take up almost no room, and there's no seperate system to watch. I know, they're to small for most, but after a week in the system you'd never know they came out of party cups.
This is a total newb question but what is hempy?? i know about the solo cups but i was under the impression hempy was like coco?? if so how do u transplant into the system without getting the coco too wet all the time?? do u just keep the water level very low? also doesnt the coco get all in the bottoms of your buckets?? i Guess im just a little confused i see coco in like the same was as dirt i guess i see it drying/flaking away and drying out.. please let me know how you do this... pics would be a plus to

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

I used to top feed mine throughout veg 3 times a day, I do the same for the first week in the UC. I kept my water level 1-2in below the net pots for about 3-4 days of that week, until my roots popped and made its way towards the UC stew, then I raised to the bottom of the pots. For the last week before they hit the UC and the first week in I try not to hit the cubes while watering. This worked very well and I really had no complaints other than having to use my room to veg instead as a straight flower room, as I always needed that week for my roots to become UC style roots. My plants continued to grow as they did when I was top feeding and after 4-6 days they were at UC growth speed.

For my last two runs I have been running bubble trays. They work great, but you still will have the sane entry into the tray as you will the UC. Beating that stall goes for the tray just as it does the UC. One thing I did with my bubble trays lid is instead of drilling holes for the net pots I made ny lids with cut out rows so I can keep my net pots in my lid. This helps in a couple ways, I don't have to squeeze roots out of a hole and back into the hole in the lid and I also use the lids to cover each cut row keeping light out but a simple lift or slide to check roots. Depending on what size I want to veg tells me how many per tray. I start out with 16, four rows of four, while clones. I only need 12 so by the end I run two tray with 6 in each, but grown big for trees. This allows me to bypass vegging in the UC , which also saves me on the amount of lighting used in veg. I still will veg a week in the UC before flower but that will only be to get them used to lighting and train for space. I really like these set ups but it does all come down to having enough space to run a table or two while your UC is steadily making flowers.
This would be the method i would love to try... im now searching for a 2x4 rez/tray/or anything about that size that would fit 8 8"pots.. I am not sure what you were trying to say about how you cut the lid for the net pots though ive read it a few times and still having a hard time visualizing it.. If you could post a pics for me it would be greatly appreciated..

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

I won't have it going till after the weekend. I reread what I wrote and man I was tired.. Pretty much I start with a solid lid I make out of foam panels from home depot. Instead of drilling holes I cut out solid rows from end to end, leaving some support at the ends where it sits on the tray. I cut my rows 10in wide so my rooted net pots can easily be removed. I keep my net pots in their lids and they easily cover the 10in cut outs. I use black and white poly to cover any part of my rows that don't have a net pot lid covering cut out on trays top, keeping light out... I will post pics this weekend when I get her up and going

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

I won't have it going till after the weekend. I reread what I wrote and man I was tired.. Pretty much I start with a solid lid I make out of foam panels from home depot. Instead of drilling holes I cut out solid rows from end to end, leaving some support at the ends where it sits on the tray. I cut my rows 10in wide so my rooted net pots can easily be removed. I keep my net pots in their lids and they easily cover the 10in cut outs. I use black and white poly to cover any part of my rows that don't have a net pot lid covering cut out on trays top, keeping light out... I will post pics this weekend when I get her up and going
ahh i see what you mean now... That is a really good idea cutting out a larger area because i would imagine the roots would get pretty big depending on how long u leave them in for...

For everyone else lets make this thread a pre-veg thread.. I woukd love to hear and see some pictures of what everyone is doing before they put their ladies in the UC... I will be adding pictures of whatever it is that i will be making in the coming weeks... Right niw im leaning towards a 2x4 dwc tray that can hold 8 8" net pots... now i just have to find a tray it may be even a couple trays that would fit in that area.. I do have a bunch of 15gal brute roughneck totes so a couple of those could be a possibility if i cant find a tray suited better for my needs..

Greeneye04

Greeneye04

looks like botanicare makes a 2x4 tray and lid >>> u would just need to cut your own holes and get baskets from CC... and some air pumps/stones, water pumps (fractioned) for circulation i just built one similiar but 4x4 with 16 sites.. check q9's thread.. i replicated the same thing more or less q9 deserves the credit!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I made this a couple years back for my MPB. It has some massive airstones in it running off an alita. I used the drip until the roots hit the water and then killed the drip and let them drink.

Its a 110 gal res and I had the top piece custom cut at a plastic shop from starboard. The whole thing sat on another res and was running like a giant MPB with an overflow drain and 1800 GPH pump running 24/7. 1/4HP chiller.

IMAG0015

Now I use chow mix in my net pots and veg in a 2 gallon smart pot. When they go to the big girls room I cut the smart pot off and put them in the net pot. They fit perfect and the roots hit water in 2 days.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

ideally i would get a nice big 4x4 flood table and make it into a custom dwc but like you said that takes up to much room that i dont have at the moment.. your idea for vegging in 6in and then cutting out the centers is a great idea but how do u keep the hydroton/growstones ect. from fallin through the 1 1/2" hole??

I put the 6" right on the bottom of the 8" pot and that stops it. Remember the 6" has hydroton in it also. I cut the hole to droop the roots from the 6" through 8" and into the water. If you don't cut the hole you need to coil the roots on the bottom of the 8" and that does not work as well. Here are a couple shots.
IMGP8584
IMGP8585

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

I'd avoid the smaller pot transplant into the larger at all costs. Upon post harvest root autopsy, I've found the smaller pots restrict root growth in my experience.

If you go this route, be certain to physically cut the smaller basket in multiple spots to allow the root crown to swell unobstructed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom