3 Plants 6 Sq Ft Close To Flower - What Would You Do?

• Thread starter Gardenholic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gardenholic

Gardenholic

I kind of play it by eye.

The week before flower the Bush only gains a 3.5" or so. So I would strip from below the "15 below canopy mark.

As the weeks of stretch followed and the vertical height increased. I slowly removed flower sites below the "15 of depth threshold.

A couple every other day or so. Until one day stretch is over and you have slowly trained your gal in flower lowering stress.

So it's easier to keep an eye on it and do it on the fly. No need to carve your plant up prematurely especially since those extra leaves help promote new vegetation during stretch before they get removed (if they are not in the light threshold set by you)

The closer eye you keep on them the less energy early on is wasted on flowering sites too low.

But also a mild defoliation of the cores fan leaves can also help promote lower flower development. I leave the top 3 fans on each top cola. Then remove the fan leaves from there all the way down. But I leave the fans on the deepest nodes at "15 depth. This keeps a nutrient store along with helping soak up any light that passed the canopy.
So basically leave the big one the fuck alone, and if I DO trim up the smaller ones, just a few shoots at a time, starting at the bottom and working my way up every couple days?

Would you trim anything off the Critical Kush or Blue Dream at this point? Maybe the very bottom nodes where the branches curve upwards?

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

IMG 2802

I'd say the stretch had definitely begun!!

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

So, I did a little clean up today, and when I moved the plants around, I definitely noticed that the big Jack Herer was still heavy and wet, while the other two smaller ones were practically dry. I fed all 3 exactly the same Saturday night.

This leads me to believe that maybe I have some root issues going on with this bigger one that's causing her not to drink anywhere near as much.

Anyway I can confirm this?

Bannacis

Bannacis

just keep doing what your doing, different strains drink and feed differently. Do keep an eye on the Jack H, and let her dry out good. If it takes a while for this to happen, you can water just the top surface some. not a lot, just enough so the top roots don't dry out too much. Be patient.

PLUS... after a "bush wack" trim she will take some time to recover, and will drink less. once she has healed she will take off again.

Last edited:
Gardenholic

Gardenholic

The JH is going to be the death of me.
IMG 2825

She is stretching and budding, but 80% of the leaves are affected by the same problem I had a few days ago. Hopefully it's not tobacco mosaic!!
IMG 2827
You can see the brown spotting on almost all of the leaves.
IMG 2829

I can't tell if this leave is getting better or getting worse, but you can definitely see the brown spots,

Back of the leaf looks healthy besides the brown showing through
IMG 2830

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

I did more research and it definitely isn't tobacco mosoaic. Looks like severe calcium deficency. Can calcium be locked out from overwatering or overfeeding?

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

I'm a little disappointed, but that space is cramped with 3 anyways. Hopefully I can spread the other two out and get some light down to the lower bud spots and still keep the width of the closet pretty full with canopy. Still hoping to pull 3-5 oz from
The CK and BD *fingers crossed*

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

What a bummer. Maybe a blessing in disguise? Keep the other ones healthy and you should pull more than 5. Good luck bud
Eh, things happen for a reason. It's all a learning experience. I definitely learned a shit ton transplanting, topping, LST, supercropping that I was able to use on the two seeds that I actually paid for.

It would be awesome to let it do its thing and have 1000s of seeds from some really dank crosses (JHxBD and JHxCK. Such a nice bushy male to let go to waste.

Oh well, I think that's a project for another time. It's just going to hurt killing this one off after 9-10 weeks of babying it

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

Consider me on team critical kush! Looking forward to watching this, I want to run that strain eventually. They look happy
I've heard great things about the Critical Kush. I chose the Blue Dream as a co-strain so I could have a Sativa heavy hybrid for mornings and the CK for the heavy hitting 100% Indica after work.

Flowering time for the Critical Kush is 50-60 days, and I suspect it could go a few days longer. Blue Dream on the other hand is advertised at 70-77.

I suspect this is why the Critical Kush has such a head start, and count on the Blue Dream really stretching over the next 2-3 weeks.

They are definitely looking healthy, and with the Jack Herer out of the way, the water feed schedule is really lining up. Week 2 bloom nutes going in tomorrow!

40-50 days on CK and 60-67 on the BD.

My 30x/60x magnifier will be here tomorrow! I didn't realize how much I checked on the plants until I switched them to 12/12....

And I thought they were going slow before

visajoe1

visajoe1

Sounds like its about to get to the fun part @Gardenholic! The days will fly by. My ladies are just beginning puberty, lol. Flipped them 5 days ago, I'll make a thread for them in a week or two when the action starts. Sunset Sherbet and Agent Orange. Keep up the good work bud, doing great!

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

Sounds like its about to get to the fun part @Gardenholic! The days will fly by. My ladies are just beginning puberty, lol. Flipped them 5 days ago, I'll make a thread for them in a week or two when the action starts. Sunset Sherbet and Agent Orange. Keep up the good work bud, doing great!
Sweet can't wait to check it out! I am going to start 2-3 more in the next few days to go in once the CK comes out. They may have to sit up on something for the first few weeks until the BD comes out. There's going to be a lot of room in less than 2 months.

Already behind!! I need to buy a grow tent before I start. I don't think I could handle 18 hours of blurple in my living space, and that's my easiest option for lighting right now. I guess I could probably get a 4' 4 bulb t5 fixture and get them started under there until I get the tent.

Gotta figure it out soon

visajoe1

visajoe1

Sweet can't wait to check it out! I am going to start 2-3 more in the next few days to go in once the CK comes out. They may have to sit up on something for the first few weeks until the BD comes out. There's going to be a lot of room in less than 2 months.

Already behind!! I need to buy a grow tent before I start. I don't think I could handle 18 hours of blurple in my living space, and that's my easiest option for lighting right now. I guess I could probably get a 4' 4 bulb t5 fixture and get them started under there until I get the tent.

Gotta figure it out soon

I hear you on the creativity, I have zero available ground space. Flower tent is on my dresser, veg box/tent is on my table. I basically live in a grow tent, lol. I highly recommend getting a tent, easier to mount lights and fans. Plus, they are designed for proper air flow, bottom to top. Also, skip the T5 and set yourself up with another cob light. You'll spend about the same for a 4 bulb T5 and get less output.

You can build a 2 cob veg light using a Roleadro, or similar, and just switch the cobs out for any 36v cob you want. I did it with some 1212's, works great.

Lights that can be upgraded easily:

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

I hear you on the creativity, I have zero available ground space. Flower tent is on my dresser, veg box/tent is on my table. I basically live in a grow tent, lol. I highly recommend getting a tent, easier to mount lights and fans. Plus, they are designed for proper air flow, bottom to top. Also, skip the T5 and set yourself up with another cob light. You'll spend about the same for a 4 bulb T5 and get less output.

You can build a 2 cob veg light using a Roleadro, or similar, and just switch the cobs out for any 36v cob you want. I did it with some 1212's, works great.

Lights that can be upgraded easily:
That's definitely the next COB build. Still deciding between 3500k and 4000k. Hoping to get a 2x4 tent and build another similar COB fixture. At that point, the tent would actually be more square ft, and I'd probably switch. Just can't get in another $500 deep before I go back to work.

I have that mars hydro 600 kicking around, and that's actually what I started these three plants under, and they did surprisingly well in VEG. I might just break down and get a 2x2 and use that. It will be the most cost effective and plenty of space to get two more going for the next 4-6 weeks until I can harvest and really start saving

visajoe1

visajoe1

Oh ya, that Mars will be fine for veg now. Even cheaper than a tent, is a box. Thats what I used for my veg spot, for size reasons really. But it was also free, best price. I just lined it with panda, added a clip fan, and hung a piece of panda over the open end like some sort of door, but with plenty of air flow. Maybe that could work for a month? Save the cash

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

Oh ya, that Mars will be fine for veg now. Even cheaper than a tent, is a box. Thats what I used for my veg spot, for size reasons really. But it was also free, best price. I just lined it with panda, added a clip fan, and hung a piece of panda over the open end like some sort of door, but with plenty of air flow. Maybe that could work for a month? Save the cash
I like your thinking! I used cardboard to reinforce the doorway of this closet to make sure no light got in. I think I have a box from a computer chair we bought that might actually be perfect for a few weeks. I have the perfect corner for it! lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom