3 tents w/ ac

• Thread starter tedsprogz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tedsprogz

I have a 5x5, 4x8, and a 5x10 tent.
I'm putting 1K in the 5x5 and 2 in each of the others for a total of 5 1k's.
I'm looking to seal each for co2 enrichment.
should i go with vented hoods to take some of the load off the a/c?
This would be ideal, I have 5 vented hoods already along with inline fans,ducting,splitters, etc...
The problem is the garage these tents are in has no access to the outside air....
So the condenser/compressor would need to be outside with refrigerant lines running to the the garage with the evaporator and air handler, with supply and return going to each tent?
Is there an easier way? i've seen the 3 zone mini-splits, which is the way to go?
central or mini?
The redneck in me also thought about buying 3 separate window units and running a fan across the condenser of each? would it be efficient?
or even 1 large window unit with an air-handler(cardboard box+duct tape) attached...
(remember my garage has NO exhaust(except when the door opens) so this would eventually need to purge the hot air as the heat is drawn off the condenser or the condenser will not cool correct?
any suggestions?

I

instantkarma

Here's my ghetto solution.

Find a box to fit around the rear of the ac unit (not blocking top or side holes)

Cut a hole in the top of the box and use a duct starter collar to attach the ducting. Mine goes from the top of the box, then into the tent through two hoods, then through an 8"centrifugal fan then exits the garage through one of the small vents towards the bottom of the wall.
ACBox

N

NorCalGrower

you are venting the hot air from your AC through your hoods?

I

instantkarma

you are venting the hot air from your AC through your hoods?
Yeah, I only have one small access hole for ventilation. It seems to work alright, when the lights are on the hoods stay warm but not hot.

Now that I think about it more though, it is probably still adding a significant amount of heat to the room. I'll try separating them and see if the ACs cycle less.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Yeah, I only have one small access hole for ventilation. It seems to work alright, when the lights are on the hoods stay warm but not hot.

Now that I think about it more though, it is probably still adding a significant amount of heat to the room. I'll try separating them and see if the ACs cycle less.

So far, I kinda like your idea. Try putting your exhaust fans downstream of the hoods and pulling the hot AC exhaust air through them, at as high a rate as you can get with fans that will fit the ducting.

I

instantkarma

So far, I kinda like your idea. Try putting your exhaust fans downstream of the hoods and pulling the hot AC exhaust air through them, at as high a rate as you can get with fans that will fit the ducting.
That's how it's set up. Starts with the 2 ducts at the ACs, then each go into the tent through 2 hoods, then back out of the tent, into a 8" tee which a 8" valuline fan is pulling through.

ttystikk

ttystikk

That's how it's set up. Starts with the 2 ducts at the ACs, then each go into the tent through 2 hoods, then back out of the tent, into a 8" tee which a 8" valuline fan is pulling through.

Very nice! The valuline fan is not the highest flowing unit available, but if temps are in check, there's no need to upgrade. This works because bulbs don't need- or want- to be running in a cool breeze, they need to be pretty warm to operate properly. This just reduces the number of heat outlets to deal with.

I'm guessing the AC units don't run continuously, right? So when they're not running, the air that comes through the hoods is room temperature?

I

instantkarma

Very nice! The valuline fan is not the highest flowing unit available, but if temps are in check, there's no need to upgrade. This works because bulbs don't need- or want- to be running in a cool breeze, they need to be pretty warm to operate properly. This just reduces the number of heat outlets to deal with.

I'm guessing the AC units don't run continuously, right? So when they're not running, the air that comes through the hoods is room temperature?
Exactly.

A

aRiv

if it was me an the room the 3 tents are placed in can be closed up into a sealed room id put a mini split AC. and vent the tents into the room. you'll be able to keep the "lung" area enriched with co2 an it will flow through your tents.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I get the idea that InstantKarma has limited funds, which may explain why there is no minisplit. Building a growrom with an unlimited budget is no challenge; any schmuck can do it. What separates the real engineers from those who merely throw money at the problem is being able to get the desired results with less inputs- be they money, electricity, space or whatever the limitation might be.

Top Bottom