30 amp 240 to 120

• Thread starter boston
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

boston

i have a 30 amp 240 plug that use to control a wall ac that i want to convert to 120 volt

how do i go about this safely

do i neeed to install a sub panle

i am looking to run 2 1000 a small ac,2 6" inline fans and have this 30 amp plug aswell as 20amp120 avail

i already have my eqipment and my ballist are set up for 120

thanks for any anwsers

F

farmerjohn

Rewire the plug for 110. Once it's safely done, ur equipment will operate. The 2 1000Watters on the rewired 30 amp. Try everything else on the 20 amp, but check your draw on the a/c, to see if the fans can be on that circuit without overloading the amperage. Current draw should be plainly printed on the fans & a/c. If they don't surpass 20 Amps, ur golden. If they do, you may need another circuit or one fan on each to spread out the draw to avoid bad visits from the fire marshal & his friend, Johnny Law. This actually happened to a grower friend, who experienced an electrical fire so close to his grow, that sweat poured off of him like Niagra Falls! He escaped with only a burned wall & some wet stuff. They didn't discover his dirty little secret!

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Boston,
If you are not familiar with wiring, I would just get one of the plug in panels that are out there. Some of them will give you some 220 and some 110 outputs.

Or,
you could just run a 220v AC that is not more than 15A 220, and run 220v 1000w ballasts. That should safely run on that 30A 220v circuit. Then you have the 110 circuit for the other stuff. That would be my preference.

B

boston

so after some more investgation i discover that the breaker box (a tf30r) controls the ac (7.1 amps) and the 120 outlets in my outbuilding

i took a pic of the box (tf30r) it is in my gallrey i could not figure out how to put in this post

the ac does work well and i would like to keep it in my setup
from the box it runs to a 3 prong 240 that the ac plugs in to later i will pull the box apartand see how it hooks into the 120 outlets if i can

i guess i am looking at the easyiest way to cover running 2 1000 ,2-6 " fans and the ac aswell as a couple more small items maby 3-5 amps

i have ran alittle electric b4 but have never delt whith 240

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

boston,
do you already have the lights that you want to use? are they 220v compatible? if so, make a box right next to that box in your pics. that will be 220 for the 2 lights. if the circuit is 30a, the ac is 7.1, you have plenty for 2 1k ballasts.

B

boston

boston,
do you already have the lights that you want to use? are they 220v compatible? if so, make a box right next to that box in your pics. that will be 220 for the 2 lights. if the circuit is 30a, the ac is 7.1, you have plenty for 2 1k ballasts.

thanks that is the golden answer i was looking for.

so simple i completly overlook this option.

one thing thatdoes have me a bit worried is when i pulled the fuse in the box it shut off power to my 120 volt outlets
whitch leads me to belive there may be a half ass wire job in there as where i am there is no building codes whatsoever.

thanks a lot

i am off to home cheapo now

B

boston

i uploaded some more pics of how they have the 120 hook up inside the box

do youthink this will cause me problems

i am sure it is not code

Top Bottom