30 amp dryer circuit. Best way to use?

• Thread starter mrbong73
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hiboy

hiboy

Yes on the double box, one outlet red, the other black, the white sharing on both.(white is the silver screw, not the brass color, its also the larger blade if your looking at the front of the outlet).
Remember your cord from your dryer outlet has to have 4 wires in it (black,red,white,green). Not very common.
Someone showed a pic of a black cord earlier on this thread, thats calls S -0 cord. That wire is actually called 12/4 S-0 cord, they count the ground, not like romex which is 12/3 and has the same amount of wires in it. It would work well.
h

M

mrbong73

Ok so I need to change the dryer plug to a 4 prong so the replacement cord will have the correct # of wires.

I picked up some 12/3 romex to run between the j boxes. I assume that will still work?

Also, if I'm going with 120v for the ballast can I use a regular 20amp recp.? instead of the 6-15R.

I don't have the ballast yet but i am planning on a Quantum 1k. I think it comes with cords for 120 and 240.

Thanks for the help, big time.

hiboy

hiboy

Yes a regular plug works, but i would install a 20 amp plug. its got a horiz blade attached to the vertical one. 12/3 romex works. but its meant to be installed in walls.
u dont need a dryer plug, just wire nut the new wire to the old
h

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I would say if you aren't too knowledgeable about electric get a pre made box that plugs into the outlet. Hydrofarm sells them I think. Just one ballast is all you want to run off of it? Run an extension cord for your 1k. Be the cheapest and easiest route.

M

mrbong73

Yes a regular plug works, but i would install a 20 amp plug. its got a horiz blade attached to the vertical one. 12/3 romex works. but its meant to be installed in walls.
u dont need a dryer plug, just wire nut the new wire to the old
h

Yeah I was thinking I could ditch the plug and cord (dryer) and hook up direct. Maybe attach an extension box to the drywall over the plug box and do the make up and shove everything into the existing plug box. Just to have it be a little more secure with the box and connectors etc.

I might get the SO cord for the drop into the tent. I may use it for a port. AC.

The MC lite 12/3 was similar price to romex. Better?

M

mrbong73

I would say if you aren't too knowledgeable about electric get a pre made box that plugs into the outlet. Hydrofarm sells them I think. Just one ballast is all you want to run off of it? Run an extension cord for your 1k. Be the cheapest and easiest route.

Yeah I hear ya. Those boxes are like $300 or so I think and I need to go about 25-30' from plug to tent.
I think I can get this handled just looking for some help on the specifics. I've wired up house lighting, ceiling fans, fart fans, etc. but never converted a 240 back to 120.
I'm almost there.
Thanks.

hiboy

hiboy

Mc is legal to run outide of walls cause of the metal sheathing over it.
Buy a 4s box to 1 gang, thats the term to use for your j box over the laundry plug. plenty of room for connections.
h

M

mrbong73

Buy a 4s box to 1 gang, thats the term to use for your j box over the laundry plug. plenty of room for connections.
h

Damn I've never heard or seen one of those. can't find any info on it either.
It's a 4" box that mounts to a single gang/handy box?

hiboy

hiboy

Yes 4s box to handi or 4s box to 1 gang.
you can find em , all my supply houses carry them, even seen em at home depot.
h

M

mrbong73

Ok so I got most of this work done today. The only thing left is to change out the circuit breakers.
The box in the last pic will have 2 dedicated 20amp circuits in it. One will be used for my 1k ballast and maybe a small fan to cool it. The other for fans and maybe a portable ac in the tent.
I still need to decide how I want to drop power down into the tent.

hiboy

hiboy

Looks awesome amigo.
For shitz and giggles,
The only thing i ever got called on was the no bolts and nuts in the outlet mounting brackets to the industrial raised cover on the top and bottom of the outlet. Reason is that the center screw isnt that strong, doubt it will ever affect you. Nice one hole strap 3/8" mounted within 12"!!!!
Bonus points!!!
h

M

mrbong73

Looks awesome amigo.
For shitz and giggles,
The only thing i ever got called on was the no bolts and nuts in the outlet mounting brackets to the industrial raised cover on the top and bottom of the outlet. Reason is that the center screw isnt that strong, doubt it will ever affect you. Nice one hole strap 3/8" mounted within 12"!!!!
Bonus points!!!
h

Thanks hiboy for all your help!
I do have the nuts and bolts so I might as well put them in.
I ran the one hole straps at 24" on center just to keep everything tight and clean. and yep within 12" from the j boxes.
Just gotta wait for my girl to finsh her tv show(s) so I can kill the power and do the breakers. lol

M

mrbong73

So far so good. Everything is working perfectly.
Thanks to hiboy for the help. :rock

For now I wired a mc drop with both circuits into a box w/ industrial cover that I am using for a couple fans etc. As soon as I get the tent into it's final resting place I will redo a portion of it.

you can see the new 20amp circuit breakers that I changed out from the 30amp dryer breaker.

hiboy

hiboy

" I love it when a plan comes together"
sits back and takes a puff of his cigar, make that a joint
h

Latest posts

Top Bottom