315 Watt Cmh! Enough For A 4 X 4 Tent?

• Thread starter snoplow20
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
snoplow20

snoplow20

So im currently running 2 kind l300 led lights in a 4 x 4 tent. They pull about 240 watts each. I want to switch to cmh/lec. Im worried that one 315 watt fixture will not be up to par with my leds. Should i try just one fixture. Will 2 of them be too much? I have sufficient ventilation. Would i need air cooled hoods? Also, does vertical or horizontal mounting of the bulb matter? Any suggestions on the best hoods? My tent is about 6 foot 6 inches tall.

Rcubed

Rcubed

So im currently running 2 kind l300 led lights in a 4 x 4 tent. They pull about 240 watts each. I want to switch to cmh/lec. Im worried that one 315 watt fixture will not be up to par with my leds. Should i try just one fixture. Will 2 of them be too much? I have sufficient ventilation. Would i need air cooled hoods? Also, does vertical or horizontal mounting of the bulb matter? Any suggestions on the best hoods? My tent is about 6 foot 6 inches tall.
I'm not experienced in LED lights but I do use cmh. You can get by with one fixture but the real footprint is is 3X3 so it's a bit of a tweener. I use 3 in an 8x4. It's a good light. I run an input and an output fan. Temps will be higher with a cmh than an LED but lower than a Metal Halide or HPS. You don't need air cooled hoods and vertical cmh are better than horizontal. I bought fixtures with self contained ballasts that can run at 120 or 240v and run them on an Apollo controller. Just out of curiosity what don't you like about the Kind LED lights?

snoplow20

snoplow20

I'm not experienced in LED lights but I do use cmh. You can get by with one fixture but the real footprint is is 3X3 so it's a bit of a tweener. I use 3 in an 8x4. It's a good light. I run an input and an output fan. Temps will be higher with a cmh than an LED but lower than a Metal Halide or HPS. You don't need air cooled hoods and vertical cmh are better than horizontal. I bought fixtures with self contained ballasts that can run at 120 or 240v and run them on an Apollo controller. Just out of curiosity what don't you like about the Kind LED lights?
Ive had great success with my kind leds. I hear so many great things about the cmh though. My unkle has recently purchased one for a 3x3 and i have seen his current crop and it looks to be a very productive light. Idk though. My 2 kinds pull 480 watts and i have not pulled a gram per watt yet. Came close though.

snoplow20

snoplow20

Im looking at the sun system vertical hood. Should i be worried about cheap ballast. For instance, the kit im looking at comes with the sun system hood, phillips bulb, and a ballast made by a company called prism light science. Any opinions?

Rcubed

Rcubed

Im looking at the sun system vertical hood. Should i be worried about cheap ballast. For instance, the kit im looking at comes with the sun system hood, phillips bulb, and a ballast made by a company called prism light science. Any opinions?
Sun Systems are good. I haven't had any issues with my ballasts. Mine are internal and I haven't taken off the cover to see who makes them, but I think they're Chinese. I use the Phillips bulb myself and I'm real happy with them. I used to run MH and HPS and the CMH is a much more efficient light. I think the only thing that may be better are the COB leds but I can't tell you that for sure because I've never run them. I haven't had any problems getting 1g/watt with cmh. They flat out produce.

snoplow20

snoplow20

Hey @Rcubed do you use both bulbs or do you run only one for the whole cycle. 3100 or 4200?

Rcubed

Rcubed

Hey @Rcubed do you use both bulbs or do you run only one for the whole cycle. 3100 or 4200?
I'm just using the 3100K for the whole cycle. I've heard of success adding the 4200 bulb for bloom

Westie

Westie

I'm running 2 sun system 315's, neutron reflectors, 3k and 4k Philips.
Good warranty on the ballasts. Nice having 2 separate lights, in case of bulb or ballast failure.
Amazing, the reflectors only get warm to the touch!
Grow on!

Ps. I wanted vertical hoods, go for vertical if you can swing it!

Nayhay

Nayhay

One 315 is good, two is better. If you go for two (winter only for a lotta folks), get an air-cooled hood. I like vertical and horizontals, verticals definitely have a more even spread, from little I've seen. Hydrofarm Phantoms work great, BUT the first time you fire up the bulb leave it on for 8 uninterrupted hours. Sales rep said this avoids the problem of bulb or ballast early burnout. (Can't remember which, but I walked in on an argument between shop owner and sales rep about defective CMH units. Apparently a few regulars had ones that died on the second fire-up.)

snoplow20

snoplow20

Im gonna run 1 cmh and 1 of my kinds and see what happens. For now anyways.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Your hood is the main determining factor of light spread in any light source. How do you think I get away with running 4x 315 cmh in all BIG kahuna hoods in an 8x12x7 room thays offset 2.5" from center and pull HUGE numbers. I keep my canopy 2' or less in flower, 2.5-3' in veg.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Give me a little while. I' gonna make a 1000w killer thread tonight with my current run.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

So do you feel that one 315 cmh in a 4 x 4 will perform just as well or better then a 1000 hps.

Well not exactl, but doable. Only with 5 of 17 strains I run, if I run 4 plants under 1x 315 in my big kahuna hood, I can get 20oz dried and cured (55% max stable) or average 5oz per pot. But only if I run 4 pots of those 5 strains. Reason why I pull weight with inly 1265 cmh watts.

2nd pic is for all you non-believers, not that i give 2 shits if you believe it or not.

The big guys I pull their rooms down all run the strains i run. Then do 20 gal coco smart pot each with a 1k bulb. They pull 2lb per pot on average. But have LOTS of light trying to grow the bare floor, meaning they can put more plant in to utilize the light.

20180211 195749
20180211 194845

Top Bottom