315w CDM lights

• Thread starter Xinmat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Xinmat

Xinmat

Hi, I have had so much conflicting advice on using the above.
I use a Maxibright Daylight 315w CDM ballast
I have Philips TM-MW 942 & 930. I also have a couple of 210 Elite 930 (More blue than the 315w version)
I've been experimenting with this system for 6 months, with a couple of bloody amateurish mistakes.
I've had a variety of advice.
i.e. use the 930 for the entire growing period (I have been using the 942 for vegetative state & a week or 2 into 12-12 switch over, then the 930.
Does any experienced CDM users have advice for me. I've been practising with cheap feminised seeds, although one plant did homogenise, out that came immediately I saw it begin to change.
I've received a variety of advice, however I'm using a metre square & 2m high tent.
Some say use the 930 throughout.
Can the 210 version be used advantageously?
If you have any decent recommended tips, I would be eternally grateful.
I use Canna Coir & nutrients, and a P-K 9-18 "Platinum" additive for the last 4 weeks before flushing for harvesting.
My recent crop had the lamp too close to the plants, as they are short & have developed 7-9 pronged leaves.
I'm all for being advised & chastised, as long as the experience of a CDM master would be great

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hi, I have had so much conflicting advice on using the above.
I use a Maxibright Daylight 315w CDM ballast
I have Philips TM-MW 942 & 930. I also have a couple of 210 Elite 930 (More blue than the 315w version)
I've been experimenting with this system for 6 months, with a couple of bloody amateurish mistakes.
I've had a variety of advice.
i.e. use the 930 for the entire growing period (I have been using the 942 for vegetative state & a week or 2 into 12-12 switch over, then the 930.
Does any experienced CDM users have advice for me. I've been practising with cheap feminised seeds, although one plant did homogenise, out that came immediately I saw it begin to change.
I've received a variety of advice, however I'm using a metre square & 2m high tent.
Some say use the 930 throughout.
Can the 210 version be used advantageously?
If you have any decent recommended tips, I would be eternally grateful.
I use Canna Coir & nutrients, and a P-K 9-18 "Platinum" additive for the last 4 weeks before flushing for harvesting.
My recent crop had the lamp too close to the plants, as they are short & have developed 7-9 pronged leaves.
I'm all for being advised & chastised, as long as the experience of a CDM master would be great

I ran a sun system remote reflector and a galaxy 315 lec ballast in a 3x3 tent. I only used the phillips 3100k bulb from seeds to finish. The plants were plenty compact and bushy in veg. I would not want more blue. Even in 12/12 they stretched far less than under my 600hps. And yielded less but that is to be expected.

Xinmat

Xinmat

I ran a sun system remote reflector and a galaxy 315 lec ballast in a 3x3 tent. I only used the phillips 3100k bulb from seeds to finish. The plants were plenty compact and bushy in veg. I would not want more blue. Even in 12/12 they stretched far less than under my 600hps. And yielded less but that is to be expected.
Thanks for your response, it seems to concur on using the 930 throughout, I'm interested in the 210 (2011) light, all the Philips range have similar spectrum readings, how near or far from the plant is optimal?, the stretching and smaller yield is to be expected. I'm wanting to grow the plants higher, it seems that the 930 encourages quick development tbh.
That must be the distance between the two subjects
Xinmatt

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks for your response, it seems to concur on using the 930 throughout, I'm interested in the 210 (2011) light, all the Philips range have similar spectrum readings, how near or far from the plant is optimal?, the stretching and smaller yield is to be expected. I'm wanting to grow the plants higher, it seems that the 930 encourages quick development tbh.
That must be the distance between the two subjects
Xinmatt

Seedlings were at 42” and mature flowers 18”.

The university of utah says the phillips 3100k cmh is the best full cycle light in the industry. Closest to sunlight they mean.

Xinmat

Xinmat

Ok, I'm sold on that light then.
Now the distance, I imagine (as there's very little heat emitted)
That too close is the major f*** up here atm.
I shall keep the light a good 60cm-100cm away? What's your experience?
I thank you for such a rapid response 🙏

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I didnt convert to metric. You get to. Seedlings were 42 inches and mature flowers 18 inches.

And the light is plenty hot. Hotter than a 400 metal halide in my experience.

Xinmat

Xinmat

I promise you that the temperature is practically 0 compared to HPS or MH ballast & bulbs. Due to the ceramic development and the gasses within the bulb. I know how hot an old Skool system gets, I'm lucky if my tent reaches 20°C, therefore I use a mini radiator.
I had the lamp 16" high, no burning nor any heat/humidity problems.
They would be very difficult to get a heat map centred on my room, the ballast gets as warm as the emitting heat of the bulb.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I promise you that the temperature is practically 0 compared to HPS or MH ballast & bulbs. Due to the ceramic development and the gasses within the bulb. I know how hot an old Skool system gets, I'm lucky if my tent reaches 20°C, therefore I use a mini radiator.
I had the lamp 16" high, no burning nor any heat/humidity problems.
They would be very difficult to get a heat map centred on my room, the ballast gets as warm as the emitting heat of the bulb.

I ran mine right next to a 400 and 600w hortilux blue and 600w super hps.

The better spectrum comes from burning the gasses hotter. The ceramic lets it do that.

I say its in between a 400 and 600 for heat and light intensity.

At 315 watts its pretty impressive.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Oh and the ballast runs cooler than my 600 hps solis tech ballast. You can tell just touching them.

Xinmat

Xinmat

The better spectrum comes from burning the gasses hotter. The ceramic lets it do that.

Oh and the ballast runs cooler than my 600 hps solis tech ballast. You can tell just touching them.
The beauty of the CMD system is that the bulbs lumens and PAR ratings are equivalent to a 600w HPS or MH system, around 4000 lumens.
Using 315w, after initial investment, the savings and discretion are ultimately able to pay for itself, I only grow for personal pleasure of the whole process & the smoke, gives me a smug sense of self satisfaction.
With the spectrum range & the size of my tent is perfectly matched for one bulb.
It's a real eye opener tbh

Top Bottom