350 ppm tap ok for living soil?

• Thread starter ImpulsiveGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Hey fam I had a local RO water supply company do a basic test on my water and it’s at 350 ppm. I grow in living soil and I’m wondering if I could just use my tap. I thought about cutting it as well. I plan to get a more thorough lab analysis done but just wanted some input from the farm! Maybe I won’t have to supplement the cal mag anymore 🤷‍♂️
350 ppm tap ok for living soil

Homesteader

Homesteader

The PPM is most likely in calcium carbonate or magnesium carbonate but stupid question as it may, is it being treated with a water softener before coming out of the tap? Your plants aren't going to pull any of those carbonates apart and you wont get enough calcium most likely but salt is what will kill it quicker.

So any softener? if no.
You'll need extra calmag IMO. It seems odd but again the plant isn't going to take up calcium carbonate. It needs the carbonate freed up first with an acid. Extra peat moss may help if you are in soil but you'll need to keep adding it cause your water is going to bump up whatever you are using.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
are those ppms all cal and mag? water test? sodium, chlorine, etc...

350 isnt killer, but i would want to know how that 350 breaks down to individual elements
I got just a basic test done no lab analysis yet. I’m pulling from a well too I should’ve added.

Homesteader

Homesteader

You don't have to worry about chlorine if it is well. Salt maybe but most likely its all in carbonate.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Nice but I’m pulling from
A well that’s older so I’m not sure of the chlorine content but I’ll keep this one in mind.
My source is a community well that serves about 100 homes. It goes through a treatment system before it hits our meters. It has chloramine in it which ain’t good for my soils microbes. So I run it through that filter. Anyway I’m sure you’ll get it sorted. Was just suggestion. It doesn’t remove much else beside chloramine and chlorine.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
My source is a community well that serves about 100 homes. It goes through a treatment system before it hits our meters. It has chloramine in it which ain’t good for my soils microbes. So I run it through that filter. Anyway I’m sure you’ll get it sorted. Was just suggestion. It doesn’t remove much else beside chloramine and chlorine.
Ya I’m all about those microbes we can’t have any of that. Thanks for the input fam 🙏

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

only way 350 hurt you in soil is during seedling stage and germ and germing the seeds, i run 250 until i get 3 sets of true leaves
once im at 4th set time to top and give the real deal water,mine is 315 from tap and my aquafier is a limestone base,in soil i dont feed anything up to about flower time and then if i feel like it i top dress and scratch in a dry amend every couple weeks if i remember to hahaha.
soil is a filter it can filter nuclear waste look at russia, look how mother nature has reclaimed many lost towns, houses grow right threw a trunk lid on a car haaha.
soil really doesnt require all the glory most claim ,let it do it thang ,if your looking at force feeding plants for that extra yield i guess maybe coco or water be better but a lot of nutes arent required and most kill the colony below

fishbuds

fishbuds

Mine is 110ppm out of the tap and I still filter it through a carbon filter. It comes out of the filter at 100ppm but minus the chloramine. That’s what you don’t want in living soil.
chloramine, the silent killer :O

otoh, he's on well water, so almost certainly no added chems in there.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
only way 350 hurt you in soil is during seedling stage and germ and germing the seeds, i run 250 until i get 3 sets of true leaves
once im at 4th set time to top and give the real deal water,mine is 315 from tap and my aquafier is a limestone base,in soil i dont feed anything up to about flower time and then if i feel like it i top dress and scratch in a dry amend every couple weeks if i remember to hahaha.
soil is a filter it can filter nuclear waste look at russia, look how mother nature has reclaimed many lost towns, houses grow right threw a trunk lid on a car haaha.
soil really doesnt require all the glory most claim ,let it do it thang ,if your looking at force feeding plants for that extra yield i guess maybe coco or water be better but a lot of nutes arent required and most kill the colony below
Well
Maybe I’ll experiment with a plant next run and maybe lay off any cal mag and just see how it goes. Appreciate the input

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
How’s it goin impulsive
It’s going good I just pulled down my first 5x5 and the herb is dry and ready for some trimming and curing! I
Hoping for atleast a lb but I had a lot of problems dialing in this setup. 5 plants all cinched together with garden tie to make this “bouquet” possible with 5 massive plants.
25A560BA 752F 4BE8 BFC6 7A4028D53CFB

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Well
Maybe I’ll experiment with a plant next run and maybe lay off any cal mag and just see how it goes. Appreciate the input
you will find that more times than not that the majority of time you have problems with your plants it doesnt come down to what you need to give them but oinstead it turns out to what you did give them.
when you feed nutes ,bottle or dry think how many times you could just water and get same results,those dry amends are still in the soil same as the bottle stuff,just cause it was wet once doesnt mean it is gone instead you can just water and then feed every other week,salts are the killer, when they are abundant you have problems,your water will be fine im sure ,like i say im on a 500 ft well with a limestone aquifer,when i pop seeds or have seedlings,i just cut with ro water and i use the hannah feed scale to feed my plants. i do check my ph and ppm of my inside plants ,i dont like getting complacent,when you do how do you know what you did wrong right. my outside garden i never check nothing,straight from the tap outside is just a huge filter,if you need anything lime or sulfur takes care of all and that only once a year.
so ya take a single plant and just forget about pampering it and see what happens when you make it survive or die id almost bet you will find that plant live to smoke another day lol

SwishaSweet

SwishaSweet

I use tap water and my plants turn out fine... I think mine is around 200-230

Top Bottom