~350ppm Groundwater rich in natural calcium and magnesium. Can I use this and skip the Cal-Mag?

• Thread starter optical
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
optical

optical

Hi all

I'm in a part of Canada where the townships water website even boasts about the natural Calcium and Magnesium richness of our hard water. The thing is, it's 315-345ppm out of the tap, when I've used my meters.

Here is a screenshot of the water report stats:

My questions are:

1. Should I dilute with RO or rainwater, and down to what PPM? Curious about both soil, and coco

2. If the water is usable, and with the stats shown above, would I be able to use the naturally occurring dissolved Ca and Mg and skip a synthetic additive?

I thought I had like 5 more questions but suddenly forgot them after a big dab so let's roll with this for now lol

THANK YOU !!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hi all

I'm in a part of Canada where the townships water website even boasts about the natural Calcium and Magnesium richness of our hard water. The thing is, it's 315-345ppm out of the tap, when I've used my meters.

Here is a screenshot of the water report stats:

My questions are:

1. Should I dilute with RO or rainwater, and down to what PPM? Curious about both soil, and coco

2. If the water is usable, and with the stats shown above, would I be able to use the naturally occurring dissolved Ca and Mg and skip a synthetic additive?

I thought I had like 5 more questions but suddenly forgot them after a big dab so let's roll with this for now lol

THANK YOU !!
that water is fine to use,but take in consideration the over all ec value your trying to feed ,as in 315 right off and your going to 400 ,not much feed right ,so in soil no problem,in coco problem ,but easy to fix,when i start my seed and to i get to veg state i run with ro water ,were i can control my ec or ppm value form stage of growth,once i get to the point were im using a little feed for a total number im looking for ,i start using the straight tap water,mine is 315 from tap so until i get about 2 weeks in veg i use ro water with 150ppm of cal mag per gallon used,when i get to full veg 450-700 i go to tap water with no cal mag ,you get what im saying

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
You would prob want to mix your own nutes with something like that water. Reason being the Ca/Mg levels. Any addition of Ca/Mg would prob cause you a world of trouble with lockouts. Most off the shelf nutes will have both most of the time. You will have to be real selective. Your sodium is actually on the lower side and that can be a concern sometimes so good there.

Is it usable? Yes. Can you use it? Yes w/ caution.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
The other thing about that is you need to find out if the source changes through the year and keep a close eye on PPM of the water and if it fluctuates over the months (like summer vs winter) out of the tap. My buddy has that problem where he will get a swing of about 400 ppm from summer to winter since they change the source. He uses RO because of this.

Top Bottom