372 watss for a 150 watt HPS???

• Thread starter stupidthing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
convex

convex

Well crap! I don't have the cash or the space for a digital ballast.
Can you guys recommend a system that will fit in 22 x 27 space? Or better 150 watt ballasts? My "utility room" is only 4" high also. That's why I went with two 150 watters instead of 1 400w. ...

Well I can get a 400w hps for just a few dollars more than the 250. Seems kinda silly to buy a 250 when a 400 is close in price.
Also, the 250 is more expensive than the 90w LED. Aren't they supposed to be similar in output? Or I can get 3 of the 45w LEd for the same price.

A 250 is ample light for the space, a 400 might be difficult to cool in such a confined space.

A 90 watt LED does not have the penetration of a 250.

cheers

F

Fishbud

Yes your light dose burn about 370 but it doesn't have too. Check the wiring diagram on the transformer inside your light. 150 watt lights can be wired 2 different ways. With out a capacitor they use 320 watts, with a capacitor the use 180 watts!

420Gator

420Gator

A 250 is ample light for the space, a 400 might be difficult to cool in such a confined space.

A 90 watt LED does not have the penetration of a 250.

cheers

yep, its all about the penetration

S

stupidthing

Just an update. I've purchased a switchable 250w ballast and cord. I cut the cord and hooked it up to one of the 150w lamps, keeping my home made hood. as soon as I can get a mogul socket I'll re-wire it for the 250.

Is this super lumen thing for real. I'm sure it will reduce the life span of the lamp, but is it worth it?

J

Jsän

wait what?!?!?!?!?

you bought a 250w New Digital Ballast, cut the cord and connected it to one of your old "150w lamps"?:confused0054:

i read where your old ones were pulling 3+ amps, but surely this isn't safe.
(edit)my 250w only pulls 2.2 at ignition, but it is with its standard designed equipment.

be safe bro.

Bumping this in hopes someone with more knowledge than me sees it.

S

stupidthing

I just bought an extra $10 cord that plugs into the ballast. I cut it and used twist connectors (only temporary) until I get a new lamp socket for the 250w.
Remember the balast is switchable. So it has a 150w setting, 175w MH, 250w, and "super lumen", which is supposed to increase lumens 10%.
When I get the new socket, it will be soldered and get that heat shrink tubing.
I didn't alter the ballast at all. just the extra cord.

L

Lost

So you are refering to the cord that goes from the ballast to the Mogul bulb socket (the huge lightbulb socket). If so you saved yourself about 8 dollars as I think the proper cord and mogul soceket is 18 bucks for a 15 foot cord. Anyway, it should work, but I would solder and shrink the connections :)

S

stupidthing

saving money wasn't the main consideration really. It was time. I don't have the time to track down a socket until Monday. I didn't need a hood since mine is built for the box. So, with this ballast i can still use the (1 of) 150w lamps I have currently installed in the hood. So i didn't have to keep burning those inefficient ballasts. Then, Monday can fetch a socket and install it with little hassle.
Then a couple years down the road i can replace this with a bigger one and still use this for seedlings or a new micro grow. It was his last one. the rest were 400 watts or bigger. But I really didn't want one of this cheap hoods. I never would have used it. And I couldn't justify paying $90 for a socket even though it had a hood attached. The light house has everything I need.

Latest posts

Top Bottom