3'x6'x8' Space, Whats the best use

• Thread starter Weekend Farmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Weekend Farmer

I'm putting some thought into converting a 3'x6'x8' space into a new flowering area. The space is 3' deep, but I recently had to rip that whole wall out and haven't replaced it yet, so it could easily be 3.5'-4' deep. Right now I'm using a make shift area for tinkering and learning, but it can't be anything permanent.

I've looked into making my own ebb and flow tables that would be 2'x3'. I could put 2 side by side. I really only want to run one 1000w light. I've done a bit of reading here and know 1000w would work well for this setup. Framing the 2 tables with posts and wrapping them in mylar or something of the sort. Could this be run off 1 large reservoir? 2 pumps and 2 returns going to the same reservoir.

I just want to know if I'm on the right track for the most productive way to use this spot. Any ideas would be appreciated.

WF

M

Mindbender

WF,

On the right track? of course......

The idea of running 2 pumps out of 1 res is good and doable. The wierd part is only one 1000 watt light, you can get a 3' x6' tray with a single pump. It will work if you go either ebb & flow or Drip. I res, one tray = 1 pump. To get the coverage with only one 1000 watt I would consider putting the hood on a light mover. This way you will get more coverage across the 6 feet. It will be a stretch without one and you would have to move the plants around since I believe its safe to say the girls in the middle will grow higher than the outside.

I was surfing Craigslist today. Found a guy selling 3x6 trays and 70 gallon resivoirs for $50 each. 3x6 trays do not work for me. no light movers. I use 4x4 trays, but I am going to get 2 of the resivors on Friday. 1000 watt works perfect with 4x4 trays. 62 lummes per sq, foot.

What ever you do will work for your situation and what you believe is best, just my 2 cents. Happy growing!

W

Weekend Farmer

Well, the trays wouldn't use the entire 3x6 area. Two 3x2 trays would use 3x4 of the area leaving me a couple feet to get inside and work, as well as leave room to keep my scrubber on the ground. I cant say I've actually looked for 3x4 trays, and if I found some that weren't that expensive I wouldn't be opposed to buying it premade. Just a little sketch on having things of that nature delivered to my house, and our local shop is busting heads on the prices. Figured it would be cheaper and safer to construct something myself.

D

Dubsta

I made a decent 3x4 table with 2 3x2 tub's from lowes for mixing concrete and some 2x4's..

Cheap 4x3 DIY Table
W

Weekend Farmer

Those are actually the same tubs I've been looking at, with a similar table setup. I was thinking about keep the trays about where you have them, but letting the 4 legs run an additional 4'-5' up so it could be wrapped in mylar.

L

LEBDOG

Hindsight is a funny thing right? Oh, I am not complaining, only retrospective and with your idea to use those Concrete tanks; I have an idea.

Do you have your light and ballasts yet?

If not, I would go for 2x1000's if I had the power (or you have the power), I would get 2 Lumatek adjustable digital ballasts that, "Go to 11" (have 10% switch), 600 or 1000W. You can run the 1000W setup as 500W, 750W, 1000W and supposedly 1100 effective lumen watts. I think that's a joke cool and will give you dank! You want dank don't you? Then I would get a CO2 setup to fatten things up all through the growth, that's kinda key to the super kind. Lastly, I would get what they call the, "Ocho" MagnumXXXL Reflectors, but you can run the 6" also and be just as cool. Those Ocho's get the best light coverage you can have in a sealed environment these days.

I hope I was helpful, and I hope that things work out where you can show some proud pictures of your results here later!

W

Weekend Farmer

I this 2k lighting would be a tad overkill for a 3x4 table. As I am just getting started I do have some of the basics, but I still have a long way to go with just the basics. I have a 400w and 1000w ballast and light. I only have 1 hood, which is probably the cheapest thing ever made. I still need to sink money into an air cooled hood, and a chiller first before I think about doubling my wattage. I still need a better way to manage heat and humidity in my grow space. This economy has got me pinching pennies these days, but over time I hope to get everything put together.

WF

L

LEBDOG

I would go 3x6 not 3x4. You are right that in the case of 3x4 the lights you have are more than good. It would be cool to put that 400 in a light moving circle around the table. That would get you the right amount of supplemental lighting.

Anyways, I was going for the gusto! You are gonna do fine!

W

Weekend Farmer

I was only going to go 3x4 because the space is literally only 3x6. Framed walls on all four sides. if the table were the same size I would have no room for anything else. I figure I need a little room to be able to get in there and work, and a little floor space for other items I may need/want in there.

WF

C

couchlock

nice setup...

:rollj:Those concrete mixing tubs work great. 1 1000 seems to work fine (for 3x4) if you can deal with the heat. Heat seemed to be the only issue. Some people use a 400 for each 2x3tub. This works great for clone,veg room..good luck with your adventure...:harvest:

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
I this 2k lighting would be a tad overkill for a 3x4 table. As I am just getting started I do have some of the basics, but I still have a long way to go with just the basics. I have a 400w and 1000w ballast and light. I only have 1 hood, which is probably the cheapest thing ever made. I still need to sink money into an air cooled hood, and a chiller first before I think about doubling my wattage. I still need a better way to manage heat and humidity in my grow space. This economy has got me pinching pennies these days, but over time I hope to get everything put together.

WF

Some guys swear by chillers, personally I don't use one and have no need to. Water in resv.'s never gets hotter than 72. Just depends on your situation, mine are on a concrete floor in a basement. Point is start up top with the ventilation. Get your air flow, temp and humidity under control first, then put money into a chiller it needed. Keeping the resv. out of the grow chamber helps considerably.

You've got all the light power you need for the space, get a hood and vent your area next and you'll be growing some dank real soon.

peace,

jj

J

jigglybones

You really should do some research on the Lumatek ballasts. I found some good info on this site. Made me rethink buying a Lumatek. I'm now looking at a Galaxy ballast. Any farmers out there care to comment on the Lumatek or Galaxy ballasts?

L

LEBDOG

Don't want to give a product a bad name.

Thanks for that link. Always good to know potentially dangerous products.

That is outdated information (relative to what Lumatek makes today)... I wouldn't buy a used old Lumatek, but the adjustable new ones rock!

I know for certain that the adjustable new Lumateks don't have this same issue. I wish I had the new Lumateks. If my grow room was super hot, I would be concerned about any ballast.

I own 2 quantum 600's and they have performed perfectly! The quantums have fans which control their internal temperature somewhat and so far... They aren't loud at all considering fan noise (for my lights and air filtration).

I have a friend with a couple quantums and they supposedly zapped (shocked him when he touched 1) so he discontinued using them. I am not sure I believe him though...

I have a friend who just finished up flowering a crop of plants with his almost demo model adjustable Lumateks and he couldn't be happier.

I am sorry for the problems people had with the early not adjustable models, but the new one seems pretty solid and doesn't run that hot either. My quantums with fans inside seems to feel hotter to me...

U

ugmjfarmer

use 1000w per 3x4 like me. I like my results. Picture is day 15 from clone. The strain Hindu Kush shot up from 6" clones to 3' tall plants in about 20 days. Right now they cannot hold their own weight. Should come down in a few days but I don't have any recent pictures.

Day 15
Top Bottom