• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tubby

Tubby

what do you guys think is better
I've been thinking about running 6 600 watt lights but not sure what to do

MidniteGardener

MidniteGardener

Six 600s is more $$$ on equipment, more bulbs to replace, and 400 watts less to grow with. It depends on the dimensions of your grow area, but most people would go with the 1000s. The 600s would allow a better spread though, and would be better if you have low ceilings or grow lots of small plants under 3 feet.

I'll tell you what. Get 4 adjustable 1000w Lumatek ballasts and you can test out the 4k setup, or turn them down to 750 or 600 if it gets too hot. If you want more then you can buy two more ballasts and switch them all to 600w and get the 600w bulbs. If you ever change your mind at least you aren't stuck with a bunch of 600w ballasts, and you can change it up however you want.

los0420

los0420

Go with the (4) 1000's you will be happier in the end ,I ran six 600's before switching to 1000's and finished product is better in my opinion

thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
I think it depends on the application.how much space do you have?how will you cool it?is your climate a factor?anything extra like co2?how's your power situation? is your overall budget looking like?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
1000's for sure - way back when I tried the 600 route and all that nonsense about more efficient is just that - nonsense

plus all the downside of the more parts you have the more things that can break - more bulbs to change etc

if your trying to light a tent or closet a 600 is fine

if I was buying new gear I would look into gavita and/or phillips 400v de lighting

SKUNK420

SKUNK420

1k's if you got the room and can keep it cool
Currently got a 4 x 600w and I wish it was 1k's cause temps are low no a/c needed

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Depends if were talking about the new DE systems or the old school HPS.
^^^^^ Welcome to the future,lol.While it may have been true with old 600/1000 SE technology it is definitely NOT true with DE technology.I dont think you really get it until you have grown with both,I have and ill take the 600/750 DE over any se 1000,i think id even take the 600 SE gavita over a 1000 after seeing MWD and others killing it with the gavita 6s.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
^^^^^ Welcome to the future,lol.While it may have been true with old 600/1000 SE technology it is definitely NOT true with DE technology.I dont think you really get it until you have grown with both,I have and ill take the 600/750 DE over any se 1000,i think id even take the 600 SE gavita over a 1000 after seeing MWD and others killing it with the gavita 6s.

good point here

i want gavitas so bad - but with barely 8 feet of cieling height there is no way I could run the 1000 and I am hearing now (that just like any switchable voltage ballast) the spectrum is off if you run the 1ks on 600

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

good point here

i want gavitas so bad - but with barely 8 feet of cieling height there is no way I could run the 1000 and I am hearing now (that just like any switchable voltage ballast) the spectrum is off if you run the 1ks on 600
That is the exact reason they made the 6/750 motherlode.I have 8' too and the gavita 1ks had to be dialed way back all the time but i didnt know any better at the time i bought them.From gavitas facebook page,

''The Gavita Pro 750W DE EL lamp for our Pro 6/750 DE FLEX fixture. It is a unique lamp in its class, the first 750W electronic HPS lamp to hit the 1500 micromol level. Many climate rooms do not have the height you need for 1000W lamps, or the crop is too high. A 750W lamp works much more efficient in the 600-825W range than a dimmed 1000W lamp.''

Just about the time we figure it out the new latest and greatest something else will come along,Im already jonesing for CMH's to play with after seeing growers here use them,lol.

Skuna Tuna

Skuna Tuna

That is the exact reason they made the 6/750 motherlode.I have 8' too and the gavita 1ks had to be dialed way back all the time but i didnt know any better at the time i bought them.From gavitas facebook page,

''The Gavita Pro 750W DE EL lamp for our Pro 6/750 DE FLEX fixture. It is a unique lamp in its class, the first 750W electronic HPS lamp to hit the 1500 micromol level. Many climate rooms do not have the height you need for 1000W lamps, or the crop is too high. A 750W lamp works much more efficient in the 600-825W range than a dimmed 1000W lamp.''

Just about the time we figure it out the new latest and greatest something else will come along,Im already jonesing for CMH's to play with after seeing growers here use them,lol.

if i could double like ur past 2 posts i would lol. Fish to fish, you know whats up! spot on in my book, couldnt have said it better myself. sküna

P

Pimples

I have 8 Gavita 6/750 flex fixtures in my 6.6 foot basement. No problems. Its the reason they made them. Granted...i have to keep plants short and wide. And no real drain tables. I have to use saucers with a shop vac for drain to waste runoff. But the plants are on a simple drip system in coco coir. Anyways...yeah. Gavita 6/750's and Nanolux 600's are a low clearance growers best friend if your tryi g the double ended route.

T

TimeLord

Could this light be used to grow anything it came from a saltwater fish tank in person the light is purple I'm an apprentice grower it's my second plant only first that's actually survived it's already like a foot in height

KIMG0328
Top Bottom