4" Rockwool Cubes or Long Rooted Clones from Cloning Machines ???

• Thread starter UC Quest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
UC Quest

UC Quest

What do fellow UC users prefer. Rooting up a 4" Pargro Cube and then placed in a 8" net pot or placing long rooted clones from a cloning machine placed in a 8" net pot ?

What are your experiences and preferences?

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Smaller cubes seem to make for a best transfer and seem to give a good start to a well established buckets of roots.. While transferred into the Uc you need to make sure cubes stay dry. I found this a bit easier and with better results running smaller cubes..

UC Quest

UC Quest

This is great info guys, thanks so much :)

Would welcome hearing other's experiences and thoughts too :)

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

i start with smaller rockwool cubes in growstones .
bring the water up to the bottom of the net pot .
crown feed till the roots grow into the water .

then drop the water level 1to2 inches below the net pots .
and maintain that level till the latter part of the run .

were i slowly drop the water level down as low as i can get it running the water pump .

and the last week fill to the bottom of net pot with water and turn off air pump .
then harvest 7-10 days latter .
opinions are like assholes everybody got one . and this is what works for me !

Capfan

Capfan

i start with smaller rockwool cubes in growstones .
bring the water up to the bottom of the net pot .
crown feed till the roots grow into the water .

then drop the water level 1to2 inches below the net pots .
and maintain that level till the latter part of the run .

were i slowly drop the water level down as low as i can get it running the water pump .

and the last week fill to the bottom of net pot with water and turn off air pump .
then harvest 7-10 days latter .
opinions are like assholes everybody got one . and this is what works for me !

You Dont over Saturate the small rockwool cube from bubbles ? How do you not keep from over watering the cube as you train the roots down ? Seems Aero cloning would fix this.

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

no, they do not get over saturate from the bubbles .
roots will eventually all be in the water.
why would aero cloning fix this ?
aero cloners i have seen you put a disk around your cutting something spins water around the base of the cutting and roots grow out .
now what do you ?
i am sure that would be fine for growing in soil .
i would want my roots growing out of rockwool cubes or some type of media before transplanting into coco or growstones .

Capfan

Capfan

Seems without the cube, you can bring the water level up, get more lateral root development , with the cube, you have to keep water level at the bottom of netpot, any higher, you keep the cube wet, no ?

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

i am just trying to share the way i do it . have been doing it for 2yrs without a hitch .
you have to figure out what your going to do , and what works best for you ?
i explained what i do in an earlier post . (experiences and thoughts) !

Capfan

Capfan

Deff, i use rockwool cubes (1inch) and got hit with the problem i posed to you, i had my cuttings in cubes (1inch) , freshly watered cubes placed about half of the cube into the hydroton, and have the water level about an inch into the netpot and my cubes never seem to dry, try to top feed to get roots to go down, but i think the cube never drying is kickin my ass.

I was looking for advice if anything, lol.

Capfan

Capfan

Going to the Aero cloner would just solve my issue at hand, i like the RW cube, but this is the second time i feel its stallin on me, if i went the aero cloner route, i could never over water, so to speak.

I also have 10 inch net pots ( to big possibly? Takes forever for roots to pop out ) was thinking of going down to the 8" to allow more root space.

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

Deff, i use rockwool cubes (1inch) and got hit with the problem i posed to you, i had my cuttings in cubes (1inch) , freshly watered cubes placed about half of the cube into the hydroton, and have the water level about an inch into the netpot and my cubes never seem to dry, try to top feed to get roots to go down, but i think the cube never drying is kickin my ass.

I was looking for advice if anything, lol.

i didn't notice you weren't the one who started this thread .
yeah, shit man . that rockwool cube should always be moist . why, you think the cube should dry out like soil between watering's ?

Capfan

Capfan

from what ive gathered, if i always keep the small cube wet, it could create stem rot, and pretty much just suffocate the cube, not allowing the roots to grow, your cubes stay soaked throughout the whole grow?

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

Going to the Aero cloner would just solve my issue at hand, i like the RW cube, but this is the second time i feel its stallin on me, if i went the aero cloner route, i could never over water, so to speak.

I also have 10 inch net pots ( to big possibly? Takes forever for roots to pop out ) was thinking of going down to the 8" to allow more root space.

how deep are you planted in the net pot ? i don't think 8or10 inch pot will really make that much difference ?
i like to put one inch of grow stones at the bottom of the net pot and plant .

Capfan

Capfan

Wow, so your cube is Submerged in the hydroton .. i have about half the cube exposed above the pot...half of it in the hydroton at the top.

Capfan

Capfan

Damn dude, i mean..i would be worried about choking out the rockwool, ill ask again, your cube is wet throughout the whole grow?

Capfan

Capfan

Yea, i dont think there would be a difference, only difference would be the roots would come out of the netpot sooner...less hydroton.

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

from what ive gathered, if i always keep the small cube wet, it could create stem rot, and pretty much just suffocate the cube, not allowing the roots to grow, your cubes stay soaked throughout the whole grow?

with the circulation and aeration of the system i have never had a problem in the uc with growstones.
they absolutely stay moist . until the roots get into the buckets and lower the water level .

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

Yea, i dont think there would be a difference, only difference would be the roots would come out of the netpot sooner...less hydroton.

its the depth you plant to get the roots to the water sooner .

Capfan

Capfan

How much of a Gap would you say is between the water level, and the rockwool cube?

Top Bottom