This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?"

The Kent State shootings which are also known as the May 4 massacre or the Kent State massacre) occurred at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio, and involved the shooting of unarmed college students by the Ohio National Guard on Monday, May 4, 1970. The guardsmen fired 67 rounds over a period of 13 seconds, killing four students and wounding nine others, one of whom suffered permanent paralysis.

Some of the students who were shot had been protesting the Cambodian Campaign, which President Richard Nixon announced during a television address on April 30. Other students who were shot had been walking nearby or observing the protest from a distance.

There was a significant national response to the shootings: hundreds of universities, colleges, and high schools closed throughout the United States due to a student strike of four million students, and the event further affected public opinion—at an already socially contentious time—over the role of the United States in the Vietnam War.

We will give you two questions about this. 1: Do you remember what your thoughts were when you first heard about the shooting, and B: Did you know the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young song "Ohio" was about the events of that day when you first heard it.

46 years ago today. A very sad day in US history.

Those who lost their lives that day were (the numbers after each name are their age and the number of feet away they were from the National Guard)

Jeffery Glenn Miller 20, 265 feet
Allison B. Krause 19, 343 feet
William Knox Schroeder 19, 382 feet
Sandra Lee Schener 20, 390 feet.

RIP to all.

Mogrow

Mogrow

remember it like it was yesterday. still remember where i was and what i was doing. the girl in the photo and I are the same age. 4 dead in o h i o...

N

Nomadic

This event was my first wake-up call and realization that our government really had no interest in listening to public opinion and no tolerance for peaceful demonstration.

.....and yes

Latest posts

Top Bottom