48 hours of darkness?

• Thread starter MasterDsKush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MasterDsKush

MasterDsKush

So i just finished my Zkittles auto from berneys farms and i have a bunch of plants still in flower but i want to do 48 hours of darkness can i just stick her in closet or will that create mold?

Anthem

Anthem

So i just finished my Zkittles auto from berneys farms and i have a bunch of plants still in flower but i want to do 48 hours of darkness can i just stick her in closet or will that create mold?
It could create an environment for mold to grow. What is the humidity level of your closet? If it is below 50 percent at all times you should be good. But to be honest, doing 24 to 48 hours of dark does not really do all that much. You might see a slight improvement, like 1 to 3 percent so just chop in IMO!!!!

MasterDsKush

MasterDsKush

It could create an environment for mold to grow. What is the humidity level of your closet? If it is below 50 percent at all times you should be good. But to be honest, doing 24 to 48 hours of dark does not really do all that much. You might see a slight improvement, like 1 to 3 percent so just chop in IMO!!!!
Yea it says under 40 for the most part

MasterDsKush

MasterDsKush

Btw it’s an auto flower do you think dark period would even matter?

Madbud

Madbud

Well, you dry and cure in the dark so whether the science is there or not it makes sense to start removing chlorophyll while shes alive.

Moshmen

Moshmen

After a dark period is best but it can be your normal lights out

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
This is interesting. I myself have never been a believer in darkness or letting them die on the vine. However recently I quit using a grow tent. It’s got active ventilation as that is how I keep negative air pressure in my grow space I’m currently using to keep the smell out of the house. Now that being said when I was shutting down the tent I had two plants that just finished. I chopped one down and let it dry before trimming and jarring. The other plant I just left in there for a month or so. The other day I decided to check on it and throw it away. I don’t need the herb as I’ve got plenty and so I was just going to chop it down and toss it in the garbage (or compost) and reclaim the pot it was in. When I brought it out into the light I was shocked. Frosty as hell and ready to trim. I took a stalk and trimmed it up to see if it would be worth my time. Sure as shit it looked spectacular and smelled even better. I decided I’d trim up the big buds and throw away the small popcorn buds. After a couple days in jars it looks and smells amazing. I’m not sure what to make of it yet or if I’ll start doing this from now on but the smoke is smooth as silk and as powerful as anything I’ve grown recently. I’m really going to have to consider this moving forward but figured I’d share my experience.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
This is interesting. I myself have never been a believer in darkness or letting them die on the vine. However recently I quit using a grow tent. It’s got active ventilation as that is how I keep negative air pressure in my grow space I’m currently using to keep the smell out of the house. Now that being said when I was shutting down the tent I had two plants that just finished. I chopped one down and let it dry before trimming and jarring. The other plant I just left in there for a month or so. The other day I decided to check on it and throw it away. I don’t need the herb as I’ve got plenty and so I was just going to chop it down and toss it in the garbage (or compost) and reclaim the pot it was in. When I brought it out into the light I was shocked. Frosty as hell and ready to trim. I took a stalk and trimmed it up to see if it would be worth my time. Sure as shit it looked spectacular and smelled even better. I decided I’d trim up the big buds and throw away the small popcorn buds. After a couple days in jars it looks and smells amazing. I’m not sure what to make of it yet or if I’ll start doing this from now on but the smoke is smooth as silk and as powerful as anything I’ve grown recently. I’m really going to have to consider this moving forward but figured I’d share my experience.
FWIW, I'm a fairly lazy grower after all these years. The harvest and trimming are the pain in the ass parts of the grow, especially the trimming. Do it for 30+ years and it gets tiresome. Anyhow, After taking the major branches off of the plants (I don't uproot the plant to hang upside down and remove the branches instead), there is usually a fair amount of larfy buds but some good ones as well. After finishing the trimming and everything, the lights and fan get shut off and the remaining buds and plants slowly dry out. After a few months, they turn golden and have a fairly strong hash-y taste, as well as the unique taste of the parent. During times of no smoke (I think Fat Freddy mentions something about this!), I'd go a scavenge some of them and they were great and kept me going until reinforcements arrived. Maybe I'll try to leave a few branches on this time and see how a larger sample of multi month dried in darkness smoke goes.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I was rather surprised. I won’t say it was any more potent (even tho it seemed like it) I will say the smoke is silky smooth and the terps are fantastic. Bag appeal is off the charts and I’ll be damned if it’s not some of the best smoke I’ve had. I’m going to give it another go with a plant or two of different strains to see how they turn out. I’ve got more than enough to experiment with and if it does prove to be beneficial I’ll prolly start singing it’s praises and encouraging others to do it as well if they have the space and time.

ThisReckless

ThisReckless

No dark period towards the end, if you’re trying to get her to fatten up I’ve had success with putting the plant into veg room 18/6 under MH. You only do it briefly because the plant will start to reveg; which is exactly how I figured it out because I wanted to reveg a strain.

Top Bottom