4kw Rw Dtw Ftw!

• Thread starter WhoopDeeDoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WhoopDeeDoo

WhoopDeeDoo

I've been running a 2kw setup for a few years now and have been very happy with the way things have been going. But I've recently taken on a couple new folks to caregive for and so unfortunately, i have been running out of meds faster then I can grow them.

Basically between harvest, there's usually a 2-3 week period where I can't provide anything for them because i already ran out….so in order to keep this from happening again and again, and me losing out on potential money, I am planning to ditch my 2kw grow tent that is in my back room and convert the entire room over to a 4kw flower room.

Then, I will convert our hallway bathroom into the new Veg room since it much bigger then the small tent i've been using to veg in.

I have a feeling i am going to be needing to purchase a mini-split since my 9000btu wall unit A/C just won't cut it for a 4kw set up.. In all honesty, Its getting kinda old anyways as I have had it on 24/7 for the past 3 years now so it needs to get exchanged before it takes a shit on me in mid cycle.

*I guess my question for now is, what size mini split should I go with?

*Is a mini split my best option for effectively cooling the room?

I plan on using air cooled hoods since I have super low ceilings…otherwise I'd go open parabolic hoods to get the best bang for my buck but that just isn't possible for me at this time.

The room is already wired for both 120v as well as 240v so I won't need an electrician to come back out …..hopefully.

Anyways, if I missed anything or if anyone here can offer any more advice, I'd much appreciate it.

Oh, and fwiw, the room dimensions are 11ft long, 9ft wide, 7ft tall.

Going to start this rebuild as soon as i'm done harvesting here in a couple of weeks so I need to start ordering everything I'll need to get going so again, all help is appreciated.

thanks

WhoopDeeDoo

WhoopDeeDoo

I've been running a 2kw setup for a few years now and have been very happy with the way things have been going. But I've recently taken on a couple new folks to caregive for and so unfortunately, i have been running out of meds faster then I can grow them.

Basically between harvest, there's usually a 2-3 week period where I can't provide anything for them because i already ran out….so in order to keep this from happening again and again, and me losing out on potential money, I am planning to ditch my 2kw grow tent that is in my back room and convert the entire room over to a 4kw flower room.

Then, I will convert our hallway bathroom into the new Veg room since it much bigger then the small tent i've been using to veg in.

I have a feeling i am going to be needing to purchase a mini-split since my 9000btu wall unit A/C just won't cut it for a 4kw set up.. In all honesty, Its getting kinda old anyways as I have had it on 24/7 for the past 3 years now so it needs to get exchanged before it takes a shit on me in mid cycle.

*I guess my question for now is, what size mini split should I go with?

*Is a mini split my best option for effectively cooling the room?

I plan on using air cooled hoods since I have super low ceilings…otherwise I'd go open parabolic hoods to get the best bang for my buck but that just isn't possible for me at this time.

The room is already wired for both 120v as well as 240v so I won't need an electrician to come back out …..hopefully.

Anyways, if I missed anything or if anyone here can offer any more advice, I'd much appreciate it.

Oh, and fwiw, the room dimensions are 11ft long, 9ft wide, 7ft tall.

Going to start this rebuild as soon as i'm done harvesting here in a couple of weeks so I need to start ordering everything I'll need to get going so again, all help is appreciated.

thanks

Lurkin4yrs

Lurkin4yrs

I'd say 18000 for air cooled hoods and 24000 for non air cooled, are you using co2? What's ur growing style?

-lurkin

WhoopDeeDoo

WhoopDeeDoo

Hey Lurkin….. I went ahead with the 18k btu split and already had it installed last week.

Also got a 4kw Titan light controller and also had it hard wired to 240v.

Today, I will hang the hoods and cut the hole for my intake….only I'm not 100% sure if I should go through the wall or cut a hole in the floor and bring in cool air from there?

I haven't been under the house in 4 years so I know it's gross under there….but am willing to crawl under there if need be. just not sure yet.

Also, I went ahead and bought a 50g Co2 tank along with a regulator and Fuzzy logic which I'll try and get set up today as well.

The dehumidifier, I ordered from Sears………….still unsure of where i'm going to house that either.

Wish this room was a few feet wider and the ceilings were about a foot or two higher.

GR1

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

Very Nice,
Indeed,
I can only dream I had the room Maybe down the road some day
May your Quest be fulfilled.
I do have a ?
Having the ballast in the room will add to your AC having to work a bit more wont it?
Or is that also so you have some heat for the Winter, Just wondering.
It dose look Very Clean
FlyJ

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
Very Nice,
Indeed,
I can only dream I had the room Maybe down the road some day
May your Quest be fulfilled.
I do have a ?
Having the ballast in the room will add to your AC having to work a bit more wont it?
Or is that also so you have some heat for the Winter, Just wondering.
It dose look Very Clean
FlyJ
FlyJ..I keep my ballasts in my room, and run m on 240. they don't seem to throw much heat on 240. I might just be getting lucky on them throwing too much heat

WhoopDeeDoo

WhoopDeeDoo

Thanks guys…. still learning as I'm going as this is my first "real" grow room.

As for the ballasts…….I would like nothing more then to house them outside this room but unfortunately there is nowhere else for me to hang them.

The only other option I have really is to hang them in the Veg room which is going to be the bathroom directly on the other side of the wall from the Growroom….but the problem with that is that I am planning on recirculating the air from the veg room back into the flower room so no matter what….that heat will eventually make its way into the flower room.

This is a VERY small house that we live in so I am trying to make it work.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

Well your doing a great job Brother
Keep at it
yes its a small amount of Heat as you said No worries.
I have a Very small place too so I get it,
I do Like that Split unit..... Very VERY nice.
Be watching the fine set up.......
Hope you keep us UP on your 1st round in the new space.
and the Next next. ect.....

+Vibes
FlyJ

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

just a heads up, be very careful with that titan light controller or any cheap light controller. from everything ive read and asked professional electricians about it, its a FIRE hazard!!!!!! made with cheap internals that cant handle the load. even grow stores that sell them told me to stay away. you can get a professionally built one for 50-75.00 more than the price of a made in china junk brand.

and im in the same boat. I grow under 3x600's and always run out 2-3 weeks before my harvest, which means 4-6 weeks after dry and cure time. and I HATE securing meds from other as they grow SHIT!!!!!

Lurkin4yrs

Lurkin4yrs

Damn bro that's a lab haha, if you seen my setup you'd laugh(especially my veg) lookin good brotha.

As for the intake for the lights I wouldn't worry about it being cool air, you just want to pull the air(excess heat) away from the reflector not cool the bulbs(I would go thru the floor if your tring to cool the room instead). My dehumidifier I hung on my air handler(which is in a shitty spot) lol kinda up and out of the way, but it's still in the way lol. Everything in my rooms had to be contained in them besides the ac condensing unit(I hate this being outside aswell) as my space is in a trailer.

Also on the co2 start low (350-400) til you get a feel for it, if you start high you will have a bunch of problems dialing it in in the beginning from my experince (seems like problem magnifier lol)

Good job so far, I expect some top shelf coming outta there!

-lurkin

four20 bliss

four20 bliss

Gonna be glued to this. Have a 4x4 and 4x8 in sane room been curious on changing to one flower room too!

WhoopDeeDoo

WhoopDeeDoo

Trying to figure out where I should house my dehumidifier…… does it work best in our situation if hung up high near the ceiling?

The unit I bought is from Sears and it looks like it wasn't designed to be hung but I can still easily do so if need be.

What do you guys think?

Lurkin4yrs

Lurkin4yrs

Mine was a pain to hang, I just slapped it up to my air handler lol

You can see it here. I used plumbers strap to hold it up, I also plumbed the line out the back so I don't have to empty it.
20150917 233506 1

WhoopDeeDoo

WhoopDeeDoo

Right on Lurkin….. I ended up making a swing for mine out of materials I had laying around.

Pretty stoked how it turned out!

Also, i didn't like where the ballasts were originally housed so I rehung them up high and out of the way.

Still much that needs to be done but I'm getting there!

Gr2
Gr3
Gr4
Gr5
Gr6

Dunge

Dunge

I need to do this too, same reason.

Few questions.
Does anybody make an affordable ducted dehumidifier?
I hate having my heat machine blowing exhaust into the room.

And mini-splits.
Do they come dry and need charging after install?

Ignorance may be bliss, but it never makes better buds.

Grow more brother.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Most of the high end dehueys(santa fe/quest etc)can be ducted,never saw a cheap one that could but you could probably jerry rig something.
Mini splits come pre charged for a certain amount of lineset,usually like 30-50 ft,However you still must vacume the lines/leak check before releasing/adding the refrigerant.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

All dehueys blow hot air,thats how they work, but You can locate the dehuey outside of the room and use the ducts to intake and exhaust back into room if its an issue.

Lurkin4yrs

Lurkin4yrs

Right on Lurkin….. I ended up making a swing for mine out of materials I had laying around.

Pretty stoked how it turned out!

Also, i didn't like where the ballasts were originally housed so I rehung them up high and out of the way.

Still much that needs to be done but I'm getting there!

View attachment 538467 View attachment 538468 View attachment 538469 View attachment 538470 View attachment 538471

Looks good bro! I had mine hung from the ceiling with chain at one time, I kept slamming my head into it lol.
-lurkin

Top Bottom