4x4/480watt vs 5x5/650watt?

• Thread starter ImpulsiveGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Hey farmers looking to expand yet again so my question is, is it really worth it to run a 5x5 with 650 watts compared to a 4x4 with 480 watts? Is the return on investment there with the little bit of extra room and couple hundred extra watts of light? What kind of harvests can you pull from one as opposed to the other?

This grow will be more focused towards selling for extra profit instead of for myself. Me and my dad have had a vacant house for some years now fully furnished and the laws here state as long as it’s 5 plants or below there can’t be any charges only a 200$ fine. So I intend to do the 5 plants in either a 4x4 or 5x5 with the above mentioned wattage lights to crank out as much high quality cannabis as I can. So please help me out fam with what I should do and what kind of harvests can I expect from each. Thanx fam

growsince79

growsince79

I guess that would depend on the price of weed. 5 x 5 is 50% bigger than a 4 x 4. The 650 would be 26w/sf compared to 30w/sqft with the 480. Taking that into account, I think you'll get 40% more out of the bigger tent. I always figure 1oz/sqft is a success and 2oz/sqft is a home run.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I guess that would depend on the price of weed. 5 x 5 is 50% bigger than a 4 x 4. The 650 would be 26w/sf compared to 30w/sqft with the 480. Taking that into account, I think you'll get 40% more out of the bigger tent. I always figure 1oz/sqft is a success and 2oz/sqft is a home run.
Wow a potential 40% more seems worth it to me Forsure. Appreciate the input! Looking forward to this project and what it will bring this fall/winter.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah 16sq ft vs 25 sq ft. Imo 30w per sq ft is a bit out dated with the increases of efficiency over the last couple yrs. The boards also use to be closer together and needed to be hung a bit higher.

Without co2 I'd say at 25w sq ft your maxing your potential in a tent

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Do not buy this light
You’ve always seemed pretty knowledgeable I don’t plan to but what’s your take on it? What light would you recommend for a 5x5? Pic below of my 240 watt led bar build I’m working on for my 2x2 and it’s already wall to wall in there and this light is gonna be finishing that tent.
3598F1C6 C29F 45BC B4CD 97B09C927E3A
12BCE7C2 B34C 452E BAA1 513D995FBBA5

Anthem

Anthem

You’ve always seemed pretty knowledgeable I don’t plan to but what’s your take on it? What light would you recommend for a 5x5? Pic below of my 240 watt led bar build I’m working on for my 2x2 and it’s already wall to wall in there and this light is gonna be finishing that tent.View attachment 1164450View attachment 1164451
Gavita 1700E, Fluence Spyder 2I, or HLG Diablo. All three are great lights. Easiest for you would probably be the Fluence. If you hunt around you should be able to find for under 1K. The Gavita's are also great a couple hundred more but you will want to buy the E series adaptor with those. The best one of all is the Diablo as far as output. Spread might be better with the fluence or gavita because of bar style but to be honest all three are great lights.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Gavita 1700E, Fluence Spyder 2I, or HLG Diablo. All three are great lights. Easiest for you would probably be the Fluence. If you hunt around you should be able to find for under 1K. The Gavita's are also great a couple hundred more but you will want to buy the E series adaptor with those. The best one of all is the Diablo as far as output. Spread might be better with the fluence or gavita because of bar style but to be honest all three are great lights.
Bang on... you can get refurbished HLGs also. Saves a few hundred that's what I did for my scorpion diablo ir even the Scorpion is a decent light. Strip lights are a bit better for spread depending on the height limitations

Anthem

Anthem

Bang on... you can get refurbished HLGs also. Saves a few hundred that's what I did for my scorpion diablo ir even the Scorpion is a decent light. Strip lights are a bit better for spread depending on the height limitations
AM I am in the process of getting a quantum sensor so I will have real numbers for the Fluence and Gavita stuff in the coming weeks. I was told that the Gavita's perform better than advertised but I want to see it for myself. So we shall see.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

AM I am in the process of getting a quantum sensor so I will have real numbers for the Fluence and Gavita stuff in the coming weeks. I was told that the Gavita's perform better than advertised but I want to see it for myself. So we shall see.
I hear that also but also heard that when used with a controller the wattage is reduced. Not sure if that was fixed?

Anthem

Anthem

OK so here we go again. The LED lights for Idiots thread. Mammoth is a knock off company, one of the ding dongs at the local hydro store talked the owner into stocking them. They are no longer selling them. Why? They failed and the quality it not as advertised. Yes they make all kinds of claims and maybe their new 8 bar folding light is a better knock off of the Fluence Spyder 2I than the last go around. It is the same cost or more than the Fluence Spyder 2I for me to purchase. I just went on their website and I think it was the Future Proof light. They show a picture of the light and a sphere testing devise around it. So here is my rub, if you are going to show the light in the sphere for testing, why would you not publish the data from the company doing the sphere test. Take a look at HLG, they have an independent company do their sphere testing and freely publish the results on their website.
I know someone is going to come back and say "BUT IT IS THE SAME BLA BLA BLA" So go ahead. I will not go down that rabbit hole again.

ChesterCheeba

ChesterCheeba

I upgraded this year to a 5x5 from a 3x3. I’m now running a 600 hps and a 315 CMH philips and it’s rocking the hell out at the moment. Initially I was only going with my 600 hps, but had a extra 315 to throw in and what a difference in my quality. Looking for a cool tube now to drop temps a few more degrees, currently around 77-80.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
If you have a vacant house and this is for profit I would suggest not worrying about the tent and panda film a room, just use a carbon filter to scrub the air of that sweet stink.
I’ve been thinking about this bc yes it is a vacant house but I will be living between both houses. The reason I wanted maybe to pop a tent inside a bedroom is to have the reflective walls which will give me higher ppfd on the outsides compared to an open area with panda film covering just a corner. I plan on staying close to plant count which is 5 or I would’ve just converted a whole bedroom and put multiple big bar fixtures. I plan to just take clones off whatever strains I’m running at my main house to run over in the 5x5 or open room. It’s a 5 bedroom ranch style home with a basement as well.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I’ve decided to do this bc of a loop hole in Illinois marijuana laws. If you have a medical card you can grow 5 plants. However if you don’t have one and are caught growing 5 plants you face a fine of 200$. Yep that’s it 200$ and no charges will be brought to you. The fed aren’t concerned with marijuana growers so being under the radar is a lot easier and this makes it so I can legally operate without worrying so much as I was in alot of trouble over a decade ago for being involved. So it’s a different landscape and I plan of taking full advantage!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Whether or not 650w would be sufficient in a 5 x 5 tent really depends on several factors. The first, and most obvious is the quality of your light. However how you grow also plays into it too. I have two 5 x 5 tents. In one, I have 960w of quantum boards... They do an excellent job lighting my tent. However, in my other 5 x 5 tent, I have a Grower's Choice ROI E720. The bar light design allows me to get the same yield with 720w as I do with 960w of quantum boards.

You can grow with 650w but you probably would be happier with your yields if you had more light. If you decide to stick with 650w, consider scrog or other training methods to best utilize the light you have. Also, some people prefer multiple lower watt lights over 1 higher watt light so they have more flexibility in where to place the light. For example, using three 240w fixtures instead of one 720w fixture.

Latest posts

Top Bottom