5 ton ac's with condenser 25ft above evap?

• Thread starter gettogro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gettogro

Hi ac guys. I am getting started on a new buildout. I am purchasing a 5 ton split system in the next few days. I have it narrowed down to a couple units available on ebay with free shipping. I got a couple questions before I make my purchase.

These are the units I have in mind..
All 5 ton r410
Haier 13 seer $2000
Goodman 13 seer $2180
Rheem 15 seer $2600
Rheem 16 seer $2866
Goodman 16 seer $3179

My install has a few concerns.
The condenser unit is going to be mounted on the roof of a industrial building aprox 25 feet above the evap unit.
Will this cause any trouble being so high above with the compressor or pressures? I know we will have to add more refrigerant to fill the lineset.

Also, we get a lot of snow where I'm at and the temps can easilly get below zero a few times a year.I dont have any trouble with my minisplits but, will I need to add a compressor heater or something to prevent damage? if so any brand purchase links? Do the outdoor units have a low temp safety to cut them off??

Im thinking the rheem 16 seer at $2866. Is the extra $900 really worth the higher seer rating?? If I only save 10 or twenty bux a month than I will go with the cheap one and spend the money elsewhere. Thoughts on this?

I want to make sure I get it done right the first time because there isnt going to be easy access to the roof for repairs.

Thanks

g

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hi ac guys. I am getting started on a new buildout. I am purchasing a 5 ton split system in the next few days. I have it narrowed down to a couple units available on ebay with free shipping. I got a couple questions before I make my purchase.

These are the units I have in mind..
All 5 ton r410
Haier 13 seer $2000
Goodman 13 seer $2180
Rheem 15 seer $2600
Rheem 16 seer $2866
Goodman 16 seer $3179

My install has a few concerns.
The condenser unit is going to be mounted on the roof of a industrial building aprox 25 feet above the evap unit.
Will this cause any trouble being so high above with the compressor or pressures? I know we will have to add more refrigerant to fill the lineset.

Also, we get a lot of snow where I'm at and the temps can easilly get below zero a few times a year.I dont have any trouble with my minisplits but, will I need to add a compressor heater or something to prevent damage? if so any brand purchase links? Do the outdoor units have a low temp safety to cut them off??

Im thinking the rheem 16 seer at $2866. Is the extra $900 really worth the higher seer rating?? If I only save 10 or twenty bux a month than I will go with the cheap one and spend the money elsewhere. Thoughts on this?

I want to make sure I get it done right the first time because there isnt going to be easy access to the roof for repairs.

Thanks

g

Should not be a problem but you need to check with the manufacturer. You may have to install oil trap in line for that height or other things. Find install instructions online and check their requirements before you buy. Also most make cold weather kits that are purchased and installed separately. The higher SEER unit will save you more money the more it runs so it is hard to say exactly how much it will save you per month. A guesstimate would be 15-25% per month over a 13 seer unit. Again only a guesstimate.

blazer

blazer

Gettogro I would go with the rheem out of those hands down.I would definetley get a low ambient kit for the low temps and like cannabisjohn said you probably will have to put a oil trap or two which is no big deal u buy them as a one piece trap will tell u in install manual what they want as far as traps! Higher the seer the happier you will be but you will pay upfront for high seer unit but worth every penny.carrier is actually making full size inverter split systems now very costly at the moment,good luck hope it helps!:stonedsmilie:

G

gettogro

Thanks guys, I think Im going with the rheem 16 seer for 2900. I emailed the seller directly and asked them about the height and the temps. Said wouldnt be a problem with a trap and the a low ambiant kit for $130

G

gettogro

Which lineset should I use, 1 1/8, or 7/8. I was told that 7/8 might be better for the oil flow back up to the condenser on the roof. Any thoughts??

Top Bottom