5 Watt Vs 3 Watt

• Thread starter dnewsome2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Hey guys, comparing equal watts does a 5 watt generat alot more heat than a 3 Watt? I know that a 5 watt has more penetration. my question is if I take a 3 Watt and a 5 watt light with the same wattage will the five watt produce a lot more heat? And if so approximately how much more of a percentage would it be?

Hoptastic

Hoptastic

First: what kind of light are we talking about? 3 or 5W is really low for anything.

Second:
Let's say our goal is to use a total of 15W incandescent. 5x3W and 3x5W will put off "approximately" the same heat and light.

Really you should look at the efficiency or lumen rating on the specific bulbs. Some types and manufacturers have a peak W where they are most efficient. A single 1000W HPS, for instance might be more efficient than running 2 x 500W HPS - meaning more light and less heat for the same watts.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

First: what kind of light are we talking about? 3 or 5W is really low for anything.

Second:
Let's say our goal is to use a total of 15W incandescent. 5x3W and 3x5W will put off "approximately" the same heat and light.

Really you should look at the efficiency or lumen rating on the specific bulbs. Some types and manufacturers have a peak W where they are most efficient. A single 1000W HPS, for instance might be more efficient than running 2 x 500W HPS - meaning more light and less heat for the same watts.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Yeah good luck finding those specs even if you do it will more than likely be a lie anyway.

Hoptastic

Hoptastic

Um... okay.

Seems like your only option then is to get some bulbs, a thermometer, a lux meter and do the analysis yourself.

Good luck and please report back with your findings.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Lumens are for humans, a measure of how bright the light appears to your eyes.
I would go with cree led and just buy one at a time if thats all I could afford, or buy a rapidled kit.
You get what you pay for.

Top Bottom