5'x5' Led Tent First Timer Help

• Thread starter cottageman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cottageman

cottageman

I have some grow experience but I have decided to construct a 5x5 foot tent with LED's as my light. I am thinking of putting somewhere between 1200-1500 watts of cod led's. Any idea on how many plants this would be able to grow, or any tips on what kind of lights I should buy? The companies of lights I am looking at are Mrhura cree led and Morsen max4. Like I said I have grow experience but in a commercial setting, and never with LED lights before. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Monster762

Monster762

I have some grow experience but I have decided to construct a 5x5 foot tent with LED's as my light. I am thinking of putting somewhere between 1200-1500 watts of cod led's. Any idea on how many plants this would be able to grow, or any tips on what kind of lights I should buy? The companies of lights I am looking at are Mrhura cree led and Morsen max4. Like I said I have grow experience but in a commercial setting, and never with LED lights before. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Depends on what style you want to approach. There’s a dude on here showed me 16 in a 4x4 and nicely setup. Best answer I can give as I’m no pro is you got to weigh out the options and pick what suits you. You can grow trees and only fit 3 in there or you can run a bunch of smaller plants keep em trimmed right n trained to maximize use of your light at end the yields supposedly come out close. Obviously a mister plant will yield more than a little one but by sq footage it evens out. And running smaller more controlled plants will also allow you to get better bud. Just because you won’t have all that center and lower bush getting no light. I did the bush thing. Loved how they looked but it ends up a mess. Also depends how limited seeds are or do you plan to clone at some point? If only a few seeds I’d veg monsters n clone em if seeds are no issue I’d run a lot of smaller plants.

Monster762

Monster762

Depends on what style you want to approach. There’s a dude on here showed me 16 in a 4x4 and nicely setup. Best answer I can give as I’m no pro is you got to weigh out the options and pick what suits you. You can grow trees and only fit 3 in there or you can run a bunch of smaller plants keep em trimmed right n trained to maximize use of your light at end the yields supposedly come out close. Obviously a mister plant will yield more than a little one but by sq footage it evens out. And running smaller more controlled plants will also allow you to get better bud. Just because you won’t have all that center and lower bush getting no light. I did the bush thing. Loved how they looked but it ends up a mess. Also depends how limited seeds are or do you plan to clone at some point? If only a few seeds I’d veg monsters n clone em if seeds are no issue I’d run a lot of smaller plants.
Monster not mister plant dumbass smartphone

Desertdweler

Desertdweler

I think 1500 watts is too much for a 5 x 5 tent. IMO I wouldn't go any higher than 1000.

As far as plant count... Monster is spot on.

DGP

DGP

I use 750w of COBs in a 4X5 area (12 COBs). Probably 40-50W per square foot should be more than enough. Don't buy a commercial system the power ratings are outright lies. Get some good COBs or Quantum boards and make them yourself it is super easy.

There are only a few commercial plug and play LED COB systems I would trust like Timber. DIY is the least expensive and best performance. Rapid has a kit that is almost plug and play and is about as cheap as DIY.

Some Farm Threads:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/diy-led-with-cobs-small-medium-and-large-grows.64252/
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/sixstrings-led-cob-builds.85163/

Vendors I have used:
www.cobkits.com
www.rapidled.com
http://timbergrowlights.com/cob-led-grow-lights/

3bar

cottageman

cottageman

Thank you guys for all the replies so fast and all of the knowledge. I knew that it was too many watts but I figured since the plug n play versions aren't the same as a quantum board or cob set up, I figured more watts would at least help but I can see how that would go wrong. What would you guys recommend if you are on a budget, I have looked at building a cob setup myself but even building it seems like it would cost hundreds of dollars more than any plug and play system.

cottageman

cottageman

I use 750w of COBs in a 4X5 area (12 COBs). Probably 40-50W per square foot should be more than enough. Don't buy a commercial system the power ratings are outright lies. Get some good COBs or Quantum boards and make them yourself it is super easy.

There are only a few commercial plug and play LED COB systems I would trust like Timber. DIY is the least expensive and best performance. Rapid has a kit that is almost plug and play and is about as cheap as DIY.

Some Farm Threads:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/diy-led-with-cobs-small-medium-and-large-grows.64252/
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/sixstrings-led-cob-builds.85163/

Vendors I have used:
www.cobkits.com
www.rapidled.com
http://timbergrowlights.com/cob-led-grow-lights/

View attachment 784298
If you dont mind how much did the light set up cost you? I am on a bit of a budget so do you know of any led plug and play fixtures that are relatively cheap and dont completely suck? thank you in advance for the replies.

DGP

DGP

Tent

20180226 204534

If you dont mind how much did the light set up cost you? I am on a bit of a budget so do you know of any led plug and play fixtures that are relatively cheap and dont completely suck? thank you in advance for the replies.

I guess I would choose the RapidLED kits for plug and play. They are about as reasonable as DIY and I think they were smart business people to try and hit that price point. You could buy a 3 light bar and then acquire another one as budget allows. One of the things I like about the DIY route is I could build some fixtures and expand as money was available.

I believe my 3 light Luminous COB fixture with all the parts, driver and all was around $200 and takes care of my 2X4 veg tent with actually too much light, I have to turn it way down most of the time. BTW get a driver that you can dim in case you want to be easy on some clones or seedlings.

I used 3 rows of 4 COBs (65w max each) in my 4X5 flower area but again built them a bar at a time. I think that array cost me about $700-750 total ready to run. The cool thing is I run 3 drivers (one per bar) so if I do a continuous grow I can adjust the light levels in 3 zones. Very handy at times. My COB bars are built on a strip of 80/20 aluminum so I can slide the bars closer or farther apart as needed.

I would budget around $65-75 per COB to cover the chip, heat sink, wiring, holder, some aluminum angle strips, screws etc. and LED driver.

Dee

Last edited:
DGP

DGP

Also, in my 4X5 area I have settled on 6-8 plants. Why?: The veg time is reasonable and in the end it is about canopy management not plant count. Plus we are regulated here in Oregon by a bunch of morons that don't know sh:t about cannabis and canopy management. I can have 6 medical and 4 rec and that is it.

The other reason I settled on 6-8 is I can get monster roots on plants that size which makes the buds bigger and more prolific. Doing a sea of single cola plants doesn't suit me as well but I know it works, its just different. Here that style would get me potentially arrested. Already had the cops in the grow once and not to fond of that event. I follow the rules. Although one of the detectives whispered in my ear on the way out "smells good in here".:)

Dee

Just out of a 5 week veg.....Color is a little yellow cause of the 3000k COBs but they are actually a little deeper green.
UC21

cottageman

cottageman

Also, in my 4X5 area I have settled on 6-8 plants. Why?: The veg time is reasonable and in the end it is about canopy management not plant count. Plus we are regulated here in Oregon by a bunch of morons that don't know sh:t about cannabis and canopy management. I can have 6 medical and 4 rec and that is it.

The other reason I settled on 6-8 is I can get monster roots on plants that size which makes the buds bigger and more prolific. Doing a sea of single cola plants doesn't suit me as well but I know it works, its just different. Here that style would get me potentially arrested. Already had the cops in the grow once and not to fond of that event. I follow the rules. Although one of the detectives whispered in my ear on the way out "smells good in here".:)

Dee

Just out of a 5 week veg.....Color is a little yellow cause of the 3000k COBs but they are actually a little deeper green.
View attachment 784349
thank you for responding again man, really appreciate it. I live in California and we have a small limit here as well so thanks for the tip. About the lights, I have been looking at something like this to start at least, they seem pretty good: https://www.amazon.com/Adiding-Ligh...ons&keywords=led+4000k+industrial+light&psc=1 or this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YL98KB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1V01UN4QERLUT&psc=1 thoughts?

Westie

Westie

FYI.
A quality single cob option. These are plug and play, out of San Fran.
(10% off first order, but.....plus tax.)

LabCan

LabCan

I think 1500 watts is too much for a 5 x 5 tent. IMO I wouldn't go any higher than 1000.

As far as plant count... Monster is spot on.
I agree that over kill all yoiu really need is 4 to 600 watts for that size

cottageman

cottageman

thank you everyone for the help and advice. I decided to start out with 2 vero cob lights, and will buy more as my budget allows. I have also changed my tent size to 8'x4' because of where I have to place my tent. I will be doing a complete grow journal as well with me LED lights and using Perfect Grower nutrients. Once again thank you guys for the advice, otherwise I would have wasted a lot of money on crappy LED lights!

Top Bottom