6 or 8 inch hoods in a 4x8?

• Thread starter anti
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

anti

planning on doing a 4x8 tent with either 1200 or 2k watts and im not sure to get 6" or 8" hoods?

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I ran two 6" Magnums on my last run with hoods, in retrospect I wish I would have gotten the 8" hoods instead. Better airflow, cooler glass.

hiboy

hiboy

Celtic has it right on, more air flow with them biggies, and i noticed much larger buds under my xxl than the regular hoods, noticably bigger.

I

ibTheMan

go with 6" better imo and i have 4 in ah row with ah 460cfm 6" fan and there cool to the touch. everyone was buyn the xxxl 8" lately the shops r selln mostly xxxl 6".

trust me youll b happier with 2 xxxl 6" run 2 1000w ers.

B

boston

go with 6" better imo and i have 4 in ah row with ah 460cfm 6" fan and there cool to the touch. everyone was buyn the xxxl 8" lately the shops r selln mostly xxxl 6".

trust me youll b happier with 2 xxxl 6" run 2 1000w ers.

agreed

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
i would also go with the 6 inch as the 8 inches will try and spread the light farther then the 6 inch and if ur area is locked to a 4x8 ur not gonna want and try and push 5x5. id rather have it go deeper then wider. if ur gonna run 3 or less hoods together i would go with the 6 inches. if ur gonna need to cool more then 3 u will need the air flow of an 8 inch fan.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I'm a bit confused. Why would an intake/exhaust port have anything to do with spreading the light out? The Magnum's 6" and 8" are basically the same hood, the only difference is the size of the ducting that hooks up to them.

As I stated earlier, and I guess I should have gone deeper into it, I ran two 6" Magnums on a 4x8 table before and I didn't have any problems with them at all. The issue that I have with the 6" is that if I wanted to add more, I would basically have to add more fans. Whereas if I had bought the 8" I would be fine.

I

ibTheMan

I'm a bit confused. Why would an intake/exhaust port have anything to do with spreading the light out? The Magnum's 6" and 8" are basically the same hood, the only difference is the size of the ducting that hooks up to them.

As I stated earlier, and I guess I should have gone deeper into it, I ran two 6" Magnums on a 4x8 table before and I didn't have any problems with them at all. The issue that I have with the 6" is that if I wanted to add more, I would basically have to add more fans. Whereas if I had bought the 8" I would be fine.

the xxxl 8's r ah little bigger then the 6's, i swear to yah, get the xxxl 6, best reflector u can get.

one good 6 inch fan will cool 4 xxxl 6's, if there in ah row, 6's will work best anywhere, get um.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I stand corrected. The 8" is bigger. Huh. Just checked on the Sunlight Supply page.

I have the 6" ones, but I am moving away from hoods.

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

running 3 6" xxxl hoods in a row with one 745 cfm 8" fan reduced down to 6" on them and my last lights glass is so cool i have a bud that touches the glass and zero heat burn.

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

I really wanna try to use the right amount of cfm to cool the lights w/o overkilling and wasting electricity but I don't want to be stuck w/ inadequate cooling and have to spend more. I really wanna try 8 inch through 4 lights but I'm not sure temps where I live will let me get away with it. hey IBtheman and rest of you that have it setup that way or condone it, what are the temp ranges outdoors of where you live? or where do you live if you don't mind saying and live in a medi state. and what are other details of your ventilation setup.

Quitters

Quitters

6" & 8" Blockbusters have the same size footprint

plus they were designed for a 4' x 4' area

A

anti

what sucks for me is ebay has decent looking air cooled combos for under 300 an these hoods are almost 200 each. having a hard time deciding on piecing the lighting together individually by part or buying a combo on ebay

Top Bottom