6" Or 8" Net Pots?

• Thread starter h4ppyf4rmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I was just cleaning out a couple of my 8" net pots that fit in a home depot 5G bucket and I was thinking "Do I really need 8" net pots?"

I was thinking of moving down to a 6" net pot for the 5G buckets on my next grow.
8" net pots did work fine but it seems to use a ton of Hydroton, and I LOVE cleaning Hydroton, said NO ONE EVER!!!

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

No thoughts or opinions on this? I'd like to start gathering the parts to build my bloom tent.

U

username09

I've got about 10 8" net pots and I've been wanting to order about 10 3.5gal black buckets. I kept looking at the 8" net pots and thinking the same thing you were. That's alotta hydroton for one plant. I'm gonna order 10 of 3.5gal buckets and 10 of the 6" net pots for my grow. I thought maybe I could find something to line the 8" net pots with to take up some of the space so I wouldn't have to order new net pots but I'm just gonna order the new buckets and net pots together. Also gonna have to order more hydroton anyway I believe.

Also I was wondering why so many people choose the 5gal buckets over the 3.5gal. I'm using some 2 gal now and they're fine but the buckets were white and I had to wrap them in reflective hvac tape. I have to feed the plants every 2-3 days so I'm thinking with the new setup I'm gonna add 1-2 5gal reservoirs to help keep them fed. May even make it a recirculating system. Dunno yet. Also, how often do you clean your buckets? I like to do it once a week when I change my water/nute solution but I was thinking, there's no way these guys with the commercial grows clean their buckets once a week with the amount of plants they've got.

Anyway, hope everything works out well for you with your new buckets.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I've got about 10 8" net pots and I've been wanting to order about 10 3.5gal black buckets. I kept looking at the 8" net pots and thinking the same thing you were. That's alotta hydroton for one plant. I'm gonna order 10 of 3.5gal buckets and 10 of the 6" net pots for my grow. I thought maybe I could find something to line the 8" net pots with to take up some of the space so I wouldn't have to order new net pots but I'm just gonna order the new buckets and net pots together. Also gonna have to order more hydroton anyway I believe.

Also I was wondering why so many people choose the 5gal buckets over the 3.5gal. I'm using some 2 gal now and they're fine but the buckets were white and I had to wrap them in reflective hvac tape. I have to feed the plants every 2-3 days so I'm thinking with the new setup I'm gonna add 1-2 5gal reservoirs to help keep them fed. May even make it a recirculating system. Dunno yet. Also, how often do you clean your buckets? I like to do it once a week when I change my water/nute solution but I was thinking, there's no way these guys with the commercial grows clean their buckets once a week with the amount of plants they've got.

Anyway, hope everything works out well for you with your new buckets.

I've only completed one grow so my experience is limited....
I'm currently using the 6" net pots and they seem to be working fine, I'm only two weeks into my second cycle vegging away.

I use 5Gal buckets because I can easily get them from home depot in the paint department really cheap. My RDWC system kind of requires the height of a 5Gal bucket. After seeing how many roots grow in these buckets, I'm sure the plants enjoy the little extra space because I like to grow my plants a bit bigger because I'm only allowed 12 plants total.

with only one grow under my belt, I can tell you that I didn't do any cleaning throughout the entire grow. I flushed my system only twice, once when I flipped the light cycle to 12/12 at which point I changed my nutrient ratios, and then flushed about 4 weeks into flowering when I wanted to change my nutrient ratios again. Two or three weeks from when I believed would be the time everything was ripe, I stopped adding nutrients and just topped my reservoir with just pH balanced water to the end. To clean the entire system after all the plants were harvested, I completely emptied the system, refilled with regular water, added .5 cup of bleach, and let run over night with all my air stones still going. The next day, I emptied the system completely again, added pH balanced water, bubbled the air stones in a separate bucket for a while, then place the stones back into the system.

then it's ready for the next grow...

U

username09

Yea I've really been thinking of setting up the buckets to run a rdwc system this time around. I just figured if I used the 3.5gal buckets for the plants I could use a 5gal or larger tote as a res.

What kind of air pump do you use? I'm looking for a pump that I can possibly run on a speed controller to control the output so I can lower the output until my setup grows large enough to require the full force of the pump. I just want something reliable and something more on the quiet side as I've heard many pumps are loud.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I don't have anything special for an air pump. I have a large cylinder air stone in each bucket, six total. I use a four and two port Active Aqua air pumps. They are variable and fairly quiet. I got mine from Amazon

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I developed a system around 3" net pots. It allows me to start up t 6 seedlings in my DIY bubbler. when roots are long enough I transfer to 3g totes with 3" holes to accept the 3" net pots. ne plant from last grow was pretty big

No stinkin hydroton here- ornamental stones do not break down, easy to clean and reusable. Not pictured each tote has a lid with 3" hole which the young plant drops into

The kitty liter rez pic is old. Replaced with igloo. Instead of air stones a second pump on a deep cycle timer aerates the nutes

See my threads

hth

IMG 3893
IMG 3894
Chiller Floom
IMG 3715
IMG 3209
IMG 3024
fatawa

fatawa

I say niether...6"-8" just take more clay pellets n isnt needed..i use 3" and hav massive roots/stems and still im able to save the cups usually..

Top Bottom