60/40 Coco/Sunshine#2 Question?????????

• Thread starter kushluvr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
kushluvr

kushluvr

Has anyone ever done this or have any experience with combo?????????

Does anyone here just run plain coco in 5gal buckets??????????

Positive or negative feed back is welcome.................

Thanks
KUSH

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
There are people who've mixed (I'm not one of them) and there are people who run straight coco (I'm not one of them) to great results. Most important is understanding the medium you're working with, Sunshine Mix and straight coco I *believe* do behave differently and have slightly different requirements, specifically with regard to pH and Ca/Mg uptake.

true grit

true grit

Yep ran 5g buckets with straight coco last year....the answer was it created beasts that were drinking 1-2g a day!!! I went to smart pots, but the 5g's produced some very nice LARGE ladies.

B

ballzdeep

I grow with coco only in smartpots that I hand water. Ive tried many other mediums in the hydro/soilless arena, and plain coco is the easiest and best that I have used. Water retention, speed of growth and huge yield are all benefits of coco only in smartpots. I agree with SeaMaiden about the differences in ph and cal-mag needs for the mix your trying to run. While I know that a lot of people use coco mixes, I can tell you that coco alone is the way to go. With 30-40% porosity depending upon the brand you use, theres no need for perlite. I run 15,20, 25, and 30 gal smpots depending upon the size of the plant. 5 gals will work fine though. The only thing that I do to plain coco is put a small layer of diatomaceous earth on top to kill gnats and also act as a thermal insulator to keep my roots a steady temp through day and night cycles. I hope that helps.

kushluvr

kushluvr

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of good info, I appreciate it!

Thanks

Kush

M

mr.tortoise

I ran a coco, sunshine organic mix. Worked GREAT! for first few times. Just watered a few times with pureblend and ended up with some nice yields. Then I saw what was possible. Been using straight coco since. Have run up to 7 gal grow bags. Worked fine. Unfortunately it was a temp setup so not ideal in the slightest to compare fairly to other systems. Yield still killed the waterfarms that I ran before.

U

UnitedWeStand

whattt does pure coco really outyield a coco/perlite mix ??

There was a thread on Icmag where someone did a side by side and the perlite/coco plant outyielded the coco only plant many times.

Wouldn't 30% perlite keep the coco from clumping together, creating air pockets for the roots ?

And wouldn't perlite help the medium dry out faster = more o2 being sucked in ?

I'M SO LOST !

:character0029:

C

Comercial

whattt does pure coco really outyield a coco/perlite mix ??

There was a thread on Icmag where someone did a side by side and the perlite/coco plant outyielded the coco only plant many times.

Wouldn't 30% perlite keep the coco from clumping together, creating air pockets for the roots ?

And wouldn't perlite help the medium dry out faster = more o2 being sucked in ?

I'M SO LOST !

:character0029:

On a automated drip system. You are right perlite / coco yields better do to the reason you listed.
These other posters must have been hand watering.

Comercial

Top Bottom