• Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

scooby

will a 600w ballest with a 400w bulb still use 600w of power
cheers

B

BillPlimpton

for one it wont work..........will a jet engine work on a tricycle?

C

CAPO

Have you guys seen the new multi-watt ballasts from Lumatek yet?

sky high

sky high

It will work to a fault.

Without a doubt it voids the warranty on the ballast and it is a MAJOR fire hazard because the lamp is "over fired".

it's not a jet engine on a tricycle...it's more like a 12 plug outlet on a 10 amp breaker full of cords shorting out... or better yet....it's really an eye-opening walk through your growroom...plants FULL of shards of splintered glass that arrived @ 1500F that you cannot put out fast enough as they MELT into all things plastic and try to IGNITE anything made of paper or plant material in the vicinity of your NOW completely RUINED crop.

But yeah..."it works".....for awhile....and YES, you are using 600 watts of power to fire a 400 watt lamp.

S

SRHninja

LOL!!!! wtf man im brand new just ordered two duel 600's and even i know that's bad news.... you will 1. never get anywhere with that kind of attitude around here with anyone.... 2. YOU WILL NEVER LEARN ANYTHING with that narrow way of thinking...

Instead of asking a question and then almost arguing against someones reply lol maybe ask why if you doubt them... i mean any minute your house could be on fire these guys might have just saved you.

This is a peaceful community not a know it all one with ego farmers ... even though these guys do know it all... as far as compared to any other community hands down...

Goodluck man and get yourself a 600 watt bulb for that ballast!

(also theirs dimmable ballast is that the kind your running??) if not you know your using 600 watt worth of energy on a lesser bulb, lesser growth rate its a loosing situation... plus the safety issues..

sky high

sky high

just be careful. Your health, home and life (and your grow) are worth far more than the measely cost of the PROPER LAMP for your ballast. (or should be!)

s h

H

hellboysavage

what about this ? if you have a 600 watt that is switchable to 400 watt do you have to change the hood and cord out are can i just through that 400 watter in switch the ballest over and run it on the hood and cord the 600 watter was using

sky high

sky high

The lamp cord (from ballast to light) and the reflector are interchangeable and will work with other wattages/etc. It's the ballasts that specify/dictate which lamp you should run.

hope that makes sense

sh

S

SRHninja

from what i understand the cords can fit a 1000 watt or a 400 watt but its up to your ballast to fire it at the proper wattage.. the reason you want a hood upgrade is because you want to distribute the light out evenly and some hoods cant spread a 600watt to its full potential or a 1000, just research the hoods and the ratio of light area.

A ballast is used to control the voltage going to your lamp
1,000 watt ballast will supply 1000 watts and vice versa

hellboy you shouldnt have to change nothing except the bulb and switch it to 400watt...

when pushing 400 watts use the 400watt bulb
when pushing 600 watts use the 600 watt bulb dont Tim the tool man your setup lol

B

BillPlimpton

yes it dose work as i use a 400w bulb with my 600w ballast all the time for veg

Well good luck with that, you seem to have found yourself a winner, fire it up and when you have half a bulb in your temple, send us another post:help:

A

astonyx

My Quantum Ballast can be lowered to 450 and 300 but it lowers the 600 i dont put a 400 or 300.
Theres a reason they have different wattage for a reason.
Read the directions on the ballast and bulb. its only a small difference for the price between a 400 and 600.
But i guess you know better than we do. Cuz you fire up your 400 on a 600 ballast.
I have a toyota engine in my ferrarri and i swear it still goes just as fast.

I

IGKali

there's an entirely new generation of select-a-watt ballasts. Lumatek, Galaxy, and NextGen all have multi watt digitals.

S

scooby

my ballast dims down what i was asking is dose it still use 600w of power

Top Bottom