600w e papillon/any experiance with?

• Thread starter larebowm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

larebowm

so i need to upgrade my lighting.like the looks of the e papillon by phillips but cant get over the hood design. Does it actually help with heat and does it have a concentrated enough beem of light?
Im trying to figure out if the hood is just glitter or if its truly functional theres not much info out there.

P

paulycali

What about Gavitas? Have you looked into them

Both the Gavita and Papillion run cooler than standard 1000w setups

L

larebowm

yes i have and they look good as well just comparing the two

L

larebowm

heat par lightfootprint.I like the looks of the design on both but was leaning towards papillon.
im just try ing to decide if the hood design is bunk? does it cast shadows on itself? it seems it could large rods three piece reflector unit.if it does its going to mess with coverage and have week zones.
does it cast to wide effecting penetration? lots of questions.sometimes a lure is made to catch fish other times its designed to catch fisherman.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
heat par lightfootprint.I like the looks of the design on both but was leaning towards papillon.
im just try ing to decide if the hood design is bunk? does it cast shadows on itself? it seems it could large rods three piece reflector unit.if it does its going to mess with coverage and have week zones.
does it cast to wide effecting penetration? lots of questions.sometimes a lure is made to catch fish other times its designed to catch fisherman.
Must be a reason they were named high times light for 2013 ... perhaps the mag has these answers ... i am also interested in them 1000 open ended bulb ,,,

L

larebowm

found a little info them 600 casts a pretty wide beam im afraid thered be loss to the walls.
the 1000 is more focused. But in my mind it would still loose light to the left and right reflector, the upper wing is going to cast light on the outside of these reflectors.the outside isnt polished but even a shiny turd will reflect light.So other than the name im not just sold yet.the gavita 600 has a more focused beam but they suggest 2ft above plants.
I hate making these decisions i want all the best answeres and i want them yesterday

D

DGS

Just wanted to mix in the discussion a bit. I have to say, I'm biassed...
The 600W is indeed a pretty wide beamed reflector compared to the ePapillon 1000W reflector.
The reflector is made in such a way that every beam of light is reflector only once. Next to that there is no light reflected back into the lamp itself.
The backside of the inner reflectors aren't used to reflect light.

openlight.jpg

As for the question whether there will be enough overlap. The whole idea is based on overlap.
The ePapillon reflector was designed to reflect the light in different angles.
You don't want the light only directed downwards. The light in the angles will be light that is direct into the canopy.
So every plant will get light coming from different angles. The leaves of your plants aren't all only directed upwards...

picture.php

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

It bugs me out how these powerful lights are designed with such small reflectors. I have trouble wrapping my mind around why they don't just design larger reflectors.

L

larebowm

the more the light bounces around in a reflector the weeker it gets.if you can get the same coverage with a smaller reflector itll actually be a better light because there was less contact and bouncing off reflector.wich is why i currently have a prob with epap 600 to much side light captured by walls.
sure reflective walls but everytime you bounce light it gets weaker.imho.
im prob going for the gavita need to figure some stuff out.

D

DGS

@legaleyes: The smaller the reflector, the better you can get a lightdistribution the way you want it to be.
These are lights are developed for commercial greenhouses. They want as less daylight interception as possible.
Also having small reflectors will get you higher efficiencies. The ePapillon is up to 95% efficiency. Larger hoods can only come up to about 80%.

@larebowm: I'm not sure whether there will be an epap 600 with a more focussed beam coming out.
The epap 600 was developed for low lightlevels with a minimum height between canopy and lamp.
The footprint is about 4 by 8 ft. Hanging them in patterns of 4 by 4 will give you an awsome overlap in which the plants will get light from many different angles.
You'll have more penetration into your canopy.

Top Bottom