600w hps lights! Are they a waste of electric during veg?

• Thread starter Mrjay
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ace9137

Ace9137

i will say this,like i mentioned above,i run 50 and 75%,i have tested those numbers,ive also tested the gas lantern method,right there you will see progress at i guess my low wattage,try it,be warned it works very very well only kick is you cannot run perpetuial unless you have about 4 tents,once you light them up forget about just shoving more plants in half way or ready for flower stage ,that was the only down fall,i worked them girls down to 9 hrs of light and they finished about 3 weeks earlier than the second tent doing it the old way i do ,it works and dont have much to do about beaming lights,lmao
I did this one of my grows on here, time reduction does work, 14 to 16 week flowering can be reduced drastically.

Mass Meds

Mass Meds

I usually run 600w mh at 400. 250 stretches plants too much, 600 will speed up veg, but bloom is always backed up so don't need to speed it up

Good point about stretching. That wasn't something I was thinking would happen.

What do you mean by, "there's always a back-up in bloom"?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Good point about stretching. That wasn't something I was thinking would happen.

What do you mean by, "there's always a back-up in bloom"?
I mean that as veg plants grow bigger and bigger and I take more cuttings and clones in veg I'm still waiting for the plants to finish up in bloom tent, & half the time they may need to go an extra week or two, so it gets very crowded at times in vegetable tent.

I find 400w is the minimum I can use to promote short healthy plants without speeding them up with 600w, or underlighting them with 250w and getting stretch and other issues

Mass Meds

Mass Meds

I mean that as veg plants grow bigger and bigger and I take more cuttings and clones in veg I'm still waiting for the plants to finish up in bloom tent, & half the time they may need to go an extra week or two, so it gets very crowded at times in vegetable tent.

I find 400w is the minimum I can use to promote short healthy plants without speeding them up with 600w, or underlighting them with 250w and getting stretch and other issues

Gotcha! We also experience flower times that go beyond the breeder packs suggested times. Almost always for Sativa dominant strains for sure.

Interesting use of lighting to compensate for this. Kind of genius to all that realized this.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hey guys
So Iā€™m running 4 600w hps lights but was thinking during veg does it make sense to keep them dimmed down to 250?
As they have a high red spectrum and low blue.
I will eventually make the transition to leds
But in the process of saving for them.
Any advice will help :)
Hi, I'm just learning this indoor grow op stuff as well but I thought all watts are good watts if you want to pay for them. After all if you could grow them outdoors you'd be giving them way more watt energy than anything we're talking about. So power(to me) is good if you can control it, direct it where you want and have the space for it. Now can somebody please educate me and explain if my theory is wrong?
Because my veg room is also my drying room I'm using 12 hrs of outdoor daylight and 12 hrs of 1000 watt hps on 1 (another story) Cherry Bomb while she's vegging and it seems to be loving it. Power is Good.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Power makes a huge difference in Veg time for sure. This is 2-3 weeks veg from rooted cutting under 2xT5HO

20190322 155515

And this is 17 days veg from rooted cutting under a 1000w MH. Bigger pots too, but the increased light intensity makes them get huge fat stems fast. Pay now or pay later I say.

20190811 212909

Latest posts

Top Bottom