7 Different methods of germinating seeds

• Thread starter NeWcS
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NeWcS

NeWcS

So I am in the starting stage of a 3-part experiment. I'll do this for 3 runs to see if I can find 1 or 2 best methods to germinating seeds. The test will be done on tall bean seeds. They will be soaked in 7 different types of liquids and combinations.

1) H2o
2) H2O2 3%
3) 2 parts h2o + 1 part h2o2
4) 2 part h2o2 + 1 Part h2o
5) h2o2 + 1 drop super thrive
6) h2o + 1 drop super thrive
7) h2o + 5 drops of ionic grow

I'll keep you updated with my findings.

Has anyone else done any other type of experiment showing one way working better than another?

Thanks

BrianDirt

BrianDirt

Pop em in dirt and give em water and warm light does the trick for me. If some beans don't pop then take some verry fine sand paper and give it a rub on the seem. Wet nap and baggy work too in the dark.

NeWcS

NeWcS

So rd 1 is over and here are the results;

1) H2o - TOOK 5 DAYS
2) H2O2 3% - TOOK 3 DAYS ***WINNER***
3) 2 parts h2o + 1 part h2o2 - NEVER POPPED
4) 2 part h2o2 + 1 Part h2o - TOOK 4 DAYS
5) h2o2 + 1 drop super thrive - TOOK 4 DAYS
6) h2o + 1 drop super thrive - NEVER POPPED
7) h2o + 5 drops of ionic grow - NEVER POPPED

Starting rd. 2 today. Will update

M

Mauihaole

I resently just germinated 15 seeds in unbleach and un printed papper towels with bottled water. Each papper towel had its own ziplock bag and tupawhare kept on top of a normal towel in back of fridge but fridge back foot is kinda in a cabnet so I blocked it off to keep it warm. All 15 seeds germinated in 48 hrs. Put them in RO soil with PS Mykorrihzae mixed in top few inches with a dash of great white in seed hole before placing in seed and covering used bottled water again till spouted. Everything broke soil and opened lookin good within 1 week of the starting of the soak except 1 thats kinda sickly. I use 48hr old tap water now. All seeds were bought at the Attitude hope this might help some1.

M

Mauihaole

tottally forgot to add that I started soakin the seeds about 3-4 days before the exact full moon Im sure that def helped. Aloha

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
So rd 1 is over and here are the results;

1) H2o - TOOK 5 DAYS
2) H2O2 3% - TOOK 3 DAYS ***WINNER***
3) 2 parts h2o + 1 part h2o2 - NEVER POPPED
4) 2 part h2o2 + 1 Part h2o - TOOK 4 DAYS
5) h2o2 + 1 drop super thrive - TOOK 4 DAYS
6) h2o + 1 drop super thrive - NEVER POPPED
7) h2o + 5 drops of ionic grow - NEVER POPPED

Starting rd. 2 today. Will update

are you just doing one seed in each method?
how do you know #3 and #6 wern't just a bad seeds?
if #2 popped ...#3 ) 2 parts h2o + 1 part h2o2 should have popped.

G

greenops

are you just doing one seed in each method?
how do you know #3 and #6 wern't just a bad seeds?
if #2 popped ...#3 ) 2 parts h2o + 1 part h2o2 should have popped.

right... some seeds just wont pop no matter what.

Me, I drop seeds in a shot glass of water for max 48 hours. Most crack in 24 hours...

T

tattoojim

i get 100% germ almost every time with in 24 hours. my mythod is just a baggie,paper napkin, and drinking water. i lay my baggies on something that gets around 80 to 85degrees. the next day im loaded down with a group of seeds ready to go in dirt. seeds are like gold to me,i dont like killing them. last year i drowned a bunch of good seeds in a shot glass. they rotted with in days of going in to soil. never again will i use that mythod of germing..

NeWcS

NeWcS

I will be doing three runs jsut to see if one does better than another. I know there are other ways to germ seeds. I am doing this mostly out of board-um.

NeWcS

NeWcS

i get 100% germ almost every time with in 24 hours. my mythod is just a baggie,paper napkin, and drinking water. i lay my baggies on something that gets around 80 to 85degrees. the next day im loaded down with a group of seeds ready to go in dirt. seeds are like gold to me,i dont like killing them. last year i drowned a bunch of good seeds in a shot glass. they rotted with in days of going in to soil. never again will i use that mythod of germing..

Do you seal the bag completly or do you leave it open a little? Like you; seeds are golden and I would love a sure fire way to get them to pop everytime. I know that sometimes nature wont allow that but anything to better the chance.

T

tattoojim

Do you seal the bag completly or do you leave it open a little? Like you; seeds are golden and I would love a sure fire way to get them to pop everytime. I know that sometimes nature wont allow that but anything to better the chance.

i seal the baggie until it gets condensation, then i will open a lil to breath. but not enough for the napkin to dry. and i will open seeds that dont crack in the first 24 hour. its like doing surgery but i save alot of seeds.

NeWcS

NeWcS

Well this experiment yielded no real winner. The results were all over the place. Guess I'll be sticking to wet paper towel in a bag from now on.

T

tattoojim

Well this experiment yielded no real winner. The results were all over the place. Guess I'll be sticking to wet paper towel in a bag from now on.

thanks for letting us know how it worked for you..

R

RareDanknessRep

If I had to guess, I'd imagine that the ideal solution would depend on the seed's genotype - I don't think anyone really has it dialed across the board yet, but I've personally had 100% success with a shotglass of bottled spring water with 1/16 strength Rootbastic in a dark cabinet for 48-72 hours.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

i just popped a ton of freebies from the tude....28/28 wet paper towel no presoak. never had a problem with wet paper towel, i often wondered about the baggy thing, cuttin oxygen off but clearly it has no affect.

vaporedout

vaporedout

yeah, i just popped about 20+ seeds, not sure if theyre any good but i use,

paper towel (unbleached/ non chlorine)
fold it in 4's
put my beans in there and space em good
fold the paper towel over the beans
soak em with tap water (mines about 6.2)
put em in a plastic baggie, seal it
check on em the next day,

all of em cracked, another 24 hours, all had tap roots. ive only done seeds a handful of times but every time i have done this way, and EVERY single one popped, except a premie seed i got from a club sack, tried everything but it was just way to premature. didnt even have stripes.

-vape

R

RareDanknessRep

i just popped a ton of freebies from the tude....28/28 wet paper towel no presoak. never had a problem with wet paper towel, i often wondered about the baggy thing, cuttin oxygen off but clearly it has no affect.

If you're worried about airflow, the two suggestions I've always gotten is to blow air in the bag (make sure it's inflated like a balloon) to ensure ample air for the time it'll take to germ, or to use 2 paper plates (tops facing each other) instead of the plastic bag to let a little more air flow.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

I purchased some Mandala Satori and noted their strict germination instructions.
Their argument for direct seed to medium planting is compelling.

http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Guide

nice link and solid info!

gona copy n paste some key info off there for peeps....

Things to avoid

soaking seeds in water/wet paper tissue
humidity dome/mini-greenhouse fully covered
heating mat too hot
covering pots with plastic
germinating in jiffy's and peat pellets
wrong soil for germination
fertilizing seedlings
too much/too little water
cold and dark germination room
cold outdoor temperatures; frost
wrong pH of water
bad water quality
high EC of nutrient solution in hydroponics
spraying seedlings with water/organic teas/pesticides

PrairieBoy

PrairieBoy

Direct sowing/planting has always been the norm for me...100% results with viable seeds. I dont care what seeds, who's seeds or how expensive they are..I always direct sow. I had some freebies from icmag in 2005 from SamSkunkman - South African Durban Poison x Skunk #1...many,many growers reported very poor to non-existant germ rates...Sam attributed this to older seed stock and "hard shells"(He recommended scuffing). Well I buried those in my soil mix pail and left/forgot them for 2wks...I was digging in my soil pail and low and behold here I find a whole mess of 3"-4" Tap roots with yellow Cotyledons striving to find the "light". So yeah...I will germinate the way mother nature intended and keep on doing so based on my experiences. Just popped 22 seeds from Pisces a little while ago and 100% success..2 diff strains....documented with pics...good seed stock helps greatly in any method. IMO

Top Bottom