731 Watt Cob Led Fixture Design [equivalent/potential Successor] To 1000 Watt Hps De

• Thread starter cccmints
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cccmints

I can't grow right now. I don't think I'll be able grow as soon as I thought I would be able to, when I came back to the cultivation community a month and a half ago, due to my investor backing out for unrelated reasons, but that passionate spark has been revitalized. I give you a fixture designed to potentially outperform a Solis Tek 1000 Watt DE HPS based off of the numbers from Vero 29 datasheets and advertised figures from Solis Tek.

This could be used in a 4'x4' frame or 3'x3', your choice. Real-life testing would be required to determine the difference. This has been designed as a full cycle light, although when I build out my operation I'm going to have different LED fixtures dedicated to veg and flower respectively. Its (9x) Vero 29 SE Gen 7s 3000K running @ 38.7 volts x 2.1 amperage producing 81.27 watts per diode or 731.43 watts per fixture. This light would have an initial usable light output of 1647.018 PPF or 1105.38 PPFD over a 4'x4' space. That's compared to the advertised >2,000 PPF/ >1342.28 PPFD of a 1000 watt Solis Tek DE HPS Bulb. A member of the farm posted that light degradation of this HPS bulb reached a 28% light output deficit by month 3 of running the bulb 12 hours on 12 hours off. Meaning at month 3, typically within the range of a standard growing cycle, light output of the 1000w DE HPS bulb would be 13.41% lower than the initial output of my proposed LED fixture, which would have minimal degradation. Further testing is required to determine the exact figures on how much total usable light is received by the plants throughout the entire cycle, comparing both systems.

We'd need a somewhat 'long-term' study to determine when the best time to replace COB LED diodes would be, but its currently understood that the diodes of LED have roughly 5x the life of an HPS bulb.

Savings:
Assuming your cycle is 3 months; 4 week veg, 10 week flower. Then, we can assume the per year bulb replacement costs would total $3,680 for 10 lights over the course of a year. With 10k HPS costing $5,256.00/year and LED costing $3,844.40/year to run (electricity cost wise @ 12 cents/kWh) , you'd save $1, 412/year running 7314.3 watts of LED vs. 10,000 watts of HPS.

This LED fixture would cost roughly $750 to build, consisting of the highest quality components you can source, including multi-turn dimming capabilities, compared to $330 for a 1,000 watt DE setup where the price is alleged by a member who's proved success with such bulbs through documentation on another community. Is it the highest quality DE build you can put together? Probably not, but the LED is. Regardless, LED can accept such a handicap with ease.

@ 1 Year
$1411.60 savings from lesser power draw using LED.
$3,680 savings from not needing to replace the bulbs 4 times/year.

Total yearly savings using LED = $5,091.60

Initial Fixture Cost:
(10x) $731.43 LED fixtures = $7,314.3
(10x) $330.00 HPS DE fixtures = $3,300

Initial investment surplus with LED fixtures = $4014.30

Profit after one year using LED, assuming yield is neither increased nor decreased = $1,050.30

So, theoretically, after 1 year, assuming yield is exactly the same as if using 1,000 watt HPS DE, LED would save you $1,050.30. This is disregarding potentially increased yield, higher quality bud, etc.
zwMniF6DPb.png

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

another indirect cost is the difference in cooling cost of one versus the other... I'm thinking the HPS is going to generate a bit more heat. Just a thought...

C

cccmints

another indirect cost is the difference in cooling cost of one versus the other... I'm thinking the HPS is going to generate a bit more heat. Just a thought...
There are so many things...I figured I was verbose enough in the original post, lol. At the same time though, in some areas the extra heat HIDs produce is beneficial and usable and if they grew with LED they'd need a space heater to make up for the lower temperatures.

C

cccmints

Did you build a light and run it or we just talking weedology?
I'm building this light and components for a 1000w DE HPS fixture along with the equipment necessary to conduct a proper scientific experiment comparing the two systems in the near future. As I said, I can't grow cannabis right now, so initially the experiments will be conducted on something like a tomato plant. Useful data can still be collected in this fashion. I wish I could grow again, but right now I cannot. Theoretically, this fixture has the potential to outperform a Solis Tek 1000w DE HPS. My hope is for someone to test it before I do, but I doubt someone will trust my research and dive into that. In time, I will post the real life results and differences between these two highly controversial lighting systems.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I'm building this light and components for a 1000w DE HPS fixture along with the equipment necessary to conduct a proper scientific experiment comparing the two systems in the near future. As I said, I can't grow cannabis right now, so initially the experiments will be conducted on something like a tomato plant. Useful data can still be collected in this fashion. I wish I could grow again, but right now I cannot. Theoretically, this fixture has the potential to outperform a Solis Tek 1000w DE HPS. My hope is for someone to test it before I do, but I doubt someone will trust my research and dive into that. In time, I will post the real life results and differences between these two highly controversial lighting systems.
Theoretically,
Well im game when you get it built to see how it does..

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

What's that fixture runnin?

18 vero29se 3000K 90CRI 36.2v COBs running on 3 HLG 320H-C1400B drivers.

I had the external dimmers set to draw 300 watts each on the inputs of each driver(total 900 watts from the wall). The efficiency of these drivers is 94% so the total for my last run was 846 watts of COB power consumption.

my last run, I harvested 34 Ounces of dried bud from 6 plants

C

cccmints

18 vero29se 3000K 90CRI 36.2v COBs running on 3 HLG 320H-C1400B drivers.

I had the external dimmers set to draw 300 watts each on the inputs of each driver(total 900 watts from the wall). The efficiency of these drivers is 94% so the total for my last run was 846 watts of COB power consumption.

my last run, I harvested 34 Ounces of dried bud from 6 plants
Very similar to my design. Only difference really is you chose 90 cri instead of 80. I noticed in the data sheets it seems 90 cri has lower light output than 80. What makes 90 better? I haven't looked into it thoroughly. It seems you're doing 1.4a x 36.2v to produce roughly 50 watts?
3SvhgOr6.png

I may be making a mistake trying to figure out what the flux vs drive current percentage @ your amperage is. If its 68% like what I think the chart reads, then the numbers on this COB at that current are:
QER = 4.8161 umol/W/s
LER = 343.112 lm/W
Efficiency = 30.7994%
PAR = 15.6091W
PPF = 75.1753 umol/s

I do know these COBs are known to shine at higher drive currents. I think I'm making a mistake though...If you could help me correct it we'd have the numbers for your setup (unless you already have them which you probably do lol).

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

What makes 90 better? I haven't looked into it thoroughly. It seems you're doing 1.4a x 36.2v to produce roughly 50 watts?

more red in the spectrum as this light setup is for a bloom-only tent.
as you probably know, low light (amount of lumins) don't really mean much.

yes, 50 watts...

C

cccmints

more red in the spectrum as this light setup is for a bloom-only tent.
as you probably know, low light (amount of lumins) don't really mean much.

yes, 50 watts...
Can you see anywhere I went wrong running it through the calculator? Everything seems right to me but the results seem off..

Harley09

Harley09

It all looks good on paper but you haven't taken everything into consideration. Have you ever done a grow?

C

cccmints

It all looks good on paper but you haven't taken everything into consideration. Have you ever done a grow?
Ive been growing on and off for the past 4 years. What haven't I taken into consideration?

P

PharmHand

I can't grow right now. I don't think I'll be able grow as soon as I thought I would be able to, when I came back to the cultivation community a month and a half ago, due to my investor backing out for unrelated reasons, but that passionate spark has been revitalized. I give you a fixture designed to potentially outperform a Solis Tek 1000 Watt DE HPS based off of the numbers from Vero 29 datasheets and advertised figures from Solis Tek.

This could be used in a 4'x4' frame or 3'x3', your choice. Real-life testing would be required to determine the difference. This has been designed as a full cycle light, although when I build out my operation I'm going to have different LED fixtures dedicated to veg and flower respectively. Its (9x) Vero 29 SE Gen 7s 3000K running @ 38.7 volts x 2.1 amperage producing 81.27 watts per diode or 731.43 watts per fixture. This light would have an initial usable light output of 1647.018 PPF or 1105.38 PPFD over a 4'x4' space. That's compared to the advertised >2,000 PPF/ >1342.28 PPFD of a 1000 watt Solis Tek DE HPS Bulb. A member of the farm posted that light degradation of this HPS bulb reached a 28% light output deficit by month 3 of running the bulb 12 hours on 12 hours off. Meaning at month 3, typically within the range of a standard growing cycle, light output of the 1000w DE HPS bulb would be 13.41% lower than the initial output of my proposed LED fixture, which would have minimal degradation. Further testing is required to determine the exact figures on how much total usable light is received by the plants throughout the entire cycle, comparing both systems.

We'd need a somewhat 'long-term' study to determine when the best time to replace COB LED diodes would be, but its currently understood that the diodes of LED have roughly 5x the life of an HPS bulb.

Savings:
Assuming your cycle is 3 months; 4 week veg, 10 week flower. Then, we can assume the per year bulb replacement costs would total $3,680 for 10 lights over the course of a year. With 10k HPS costing $5,256.00/year and LED costing $3,844.40/year to run (electricity cost wise @ 12 cents/kWh) , you'd save $1, 412/year running 7314.3 watts of LED vs. 10,000 watts of HPS.

This LED fixture would cost roughly $750 to build, consisting of the highest quality components you can source, including multi-turn dimming capabilities, compared to $330 for a 1,000 watt DE setup where the price is alleged by a member who's proved success with such bulbs through documentation on another community. Is it the highest quality DE build you can put together? Probably not, but the LED is. Regardless, LED can accept such a handicap with ease.

@ 1 Year
$1411.60 savings from lesser power draw using LED.
$3,680 savings from not needing to replace the bulbs 4 times/year.

Total yearly savings using LED = $5,091.60

Initial Fixture Cost:
(10x) $731.43 LED fixtures = $7,314.3
(10x) $330.00 HPS DE fixtures = $3,300

Initial investment surplus with LED fixtures = $4014.30

Profit after one year using LED, assuming yield is neither increased nor decreased = $1,050.30

So, theoretically, after 1 year, assuming yield is exactly the same as if using 1,000 watt HPS DE, LED would save you $1,050.30. This is disregarding potentially increased yield, higher quality bud, etc.
zwMniF6DPb.png
Not trying to start drama but you're way off on your de HPS bulb depreciation. A regular SE Hortilux bulb loses only 10% after 9 months at 12/12..... A de bulb is about a year ,which is another one of their advantages over se. According to Philips you get about 5x the life out of leds vs de HPS, so 5years vs 1year
IMG 1626
IMG 1627
Philips makes both de HPS and led lighting for agriculture, so no bias. They are by far the foremost lighting supplier of the horticulture industry. Don't get me wrong LEDs are more efficient ,just not as much as some dope growers think. Check out meowy Jane on IG, they've got a warehouse full of fluence leds. According to them not much savings in power
IMG 1628

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Can you see anywhere I went wrong running it through the calculator?
I wouldn't know... I decided on my configuration by what other people had done and with their actual results/harvests were.
I did absolutely no mathematical calculations as to what the lights actually put out.

now, if I were going to sell these lights, I would absolutely want to know these numbers and verify them with meters...

C

cccmints

@PharmHand The figures I use for HPS bulb degradation are from a member of the farm actually measuring the light output over the course of 3 months and reporting the results. I'm not surprised the manufacturers of these bulbs advertise better than what their product produces, but when you record it in real life with the physical product as opposed to reading what they say it does, you get different numbers.
I wouldn't know... I decided on my configuration by what other people had done and with their actual results/harvests were.
I did absolutely no mathematical calculations as to what the lights actually put out.

now, if I were going to sell these lights, I would absolutely want to know these numbers and verify them with meters...
This could be really good for you. I don't see where I could have made a mistake (even though its possible of-course) and the efficiency seems to sky rocket at higher drive currents which is not strange to me with the specific COB you're using. The Vero 29 is known to perform best at higher currents. You could be pushing your fixture harder while significantly increasing your efficiency at the same time.

Harley09

Harley09

Ive been growing on and off for the past 4 years. What haven't I taken into consideration?
How do they perform in an actual grow or maybe I'm just missing the point for me it's results I was an engineering manager for a 500 million dollar a year company and I had no engineering degree but I had 10 engineers working for me some of who could run the numbers and speculate on results but couldn't back it up in reality. I don't need any convincing IMO I think leds are better. OK?

C

cccmints

How do they perform in an actual grow or maybe I'm just missing the point for me it's results I was an engineering manager for a 500 million dollar a year company and I had no engineering degree but I had 10 engineers working for me some of who could run the numbers and speculate on results but couldn't back it up in reality. I don't need any convincing IMO I think leds are better. OK?
Plenty of threads all over this forum using this technology with fantastic results. A brand new grow was just posted by a guy, realstyles, who really seems to know his stuff. The results of growing cannabis with LED are documented on this forum and that documentation is becoming more and more prevalent as time goes on.

This thread was created for the purpose of showing an affordable design priced out with high quality components that may be big competition for the current "high-end HID" standard. I still need, or need someone else to, build this fixture and conduct a proper scientific experiment comparing the two lighting systems in question. When I'm able, I will do it. If someone wants to do it before me, the design and numbers are all right here and the community will have the data quicker.

This isn't a thread to argue in favor of LED. It's just a design that I think could compete and at $1/watt its more affordable than lots of people think LED is.

Top Bottom