798 PPM run off 10 day old Auto

• Thread starter Inky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Inky

Hi everyone I'm first time grower I'm 10 days into an auto flower grow in Mills coco with 20% perlite under a TS1000 at 60% 18" away. I decided to give her nuts today for the first time .My water is fairly hard around the 280 PPM .Im using general hydroponics and following a feed schedule from a youtuber.I mixed everything as recommended and then got the pH to 6 I was in a rush and forgot to check the PPM before giving it to my plant I did check the run off though and it was at 798.Am I going to run into problems what should I do any help is appreciated thanks

Reklax

Reklax

You’ll be fine. If your plant shows any signs of stress like burnt leaf tips then just make a weaker mix and run a bit more through the pot. Make sure to feed a little calmag, not too strong as your tap is quite hard. Water every time for consistency as most of your tap is probably carbonates and not as available to the plant so calmag is just a prophylactic measure

Fromunda506

Fromunda506

Did you rinse your coco first and check the ppm? That’s pretty hot runoff for a seedling. May well be salts in your coco though. Depending on the brand, 800ppm of salts is not out of the question at all. Either way, your seedling prolly is going to want that lowered. Whether you do it through repeated light feeds with heavy volume or a flush and light feed, she will likely thank you for it.

I

Inky

OK thanks for that tip on the water because I did buy calmag but I thought I wouldn't need it down to the hard water already but if most isnt cal or mag . I think I will switch to bottled water with a low ppm for now until the plant is a bit hardier.

I

Inky

Did you rinse your coco first and check the ppm? That’s pretty hot runoff for a seedling. May well be salts in your coco though. Depending on the brand, 800ppm of salts is not out of the question at all. Either way, your seedling prolly is going to want that lowered. Whether you do it through repeated light feeds with heavy volume or a flush and light feed, she will likely thank you for it.
I did run a gallon of water though the mix a few hours before planting the germinated seed but I didn't check the PPM.I will definitely do that the next time thanks .

I

Inky

You’ll be fine. If your plant shows any signs of stress like burnt leaf tips then just make a weaker mix and run a bit more through the pot. Make sure to feed a little calmag, not too strong as your tap is quite hard. Water every time for consistency as most of your tap is probably carbonates and not as available to the plant so calmag is just a prophylactic measure
Hi I was just thinking about what you said Friday about carbonates not been available for the plant if a large percentage of the water is carbonates and not available can they be taken away from the over all ppm then ?

PS My plant has been doing really well since the feed :)

Reklax

Reklax

Hi I was just thinking about what you said Friday about carbonates not been available for the plant if a large percentage of the water is carbonates and not available can they be taken away from the over all ppm then ?

PS My plant has been doing really well since the feed :)
Not really as it still a build up and it’s used as a buffer for alkalinity to stop it ruining pipes but it can build up in the medium and create an alkaline environment especially if you don’t have run off so what I do is use a zero water filter which is basically ro water and add calmag and nutes to that until the plant is much bigger then I can incorporate tap water and always have at least 20% runoff to avoid buildup. Hope that helps as I’m a bit baked right now ha just shoot me a message I’m happy to help

I

Inky

Not really as it still a build up and it’s used as a buffer for alkalinity to stop it ruining pipes but it can build up in the medium and create an alkaline environment especially if you don’t have run off so what I do is use a zero water filter which is basically ro water and add calmag and nutes to that until the plant is much bigger then I can incorporate tap water and always have at least 20% runoff to avoid buildup. Hope that helps as I’m a bit baked right now ha just shoot me a message I’m happy to help
Thanks for the help. I figured out what I was doing wrong I was leaving it to long between feeds and letting it dry to much and a lot of salt was building the following feed was 6 days after that one and the ppm was at 2.3 haha so I stayed flushing with 140 ppm water until the run off was reading 600ppm so much growth 2 days later ;)

Top Bottom