8" Ice Box for Cooling my D.I.Y. UC Grow Room

• Thread starter OneHaole
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OneHaole

OneHaole

I am in the final stages of completing the assembly of my grow room and I have a few questions I was hoping to get some solid advice on.
I built a D.I.Y. U.C. Double Barrel w/16 cells, I will be cooling it with a 1/2hp 6000btu chiller made from an Window AC Unit. I'm assuming it's built just like the Chillking. Here's a link,
I am plumbing this "In-Line" my re-circ loop. My return lines merge into a "Y", then into my pump, in chiller, out chiller and into my epicenter.
Here's my questions:
I want to add a tee in between my chiller and the epicenter to run a 1/2" line to an 8" Ice Box that I will install on my 8" intake fan. I will then run the "hot" line out of the 8" Ice Box and back into my return line before the chiller. Will this work? Is there any reason that I am not aware of that I shouldn't be running my Nutes through my chiller and Ice Box? If this is a no-no should I have a Reservoir "dedicated" to cooling and have a manifold running supply and returns to the Ice Box and CoolCoil inside my epicenter?
I figure running "in-line" through my system and chiller would be way more efficient than having to cool an extra 30-50 gallons inside a reservoir in addition to my 90 gallons within my UC system.
Feedback Please.
Also this is not a closed room, I have an 8" fresh air intake and 8" exhaust thru the ceiling. My lights are Gavitas which cannot be water cooled and I was figuring just using the ice box for efficient cooling vs. an A.C. unit. Will I be sucking my newly introduced cool air out as fast as my hot air gathering near the ceiling or do you think it will cool my room as I am hoping?

Top Bottom