8 Plant 4x8 DIY RDWC Set up

• Thread starter logybro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
logybro

logybro

My homemade deep water culture rig. The system consists of nine five gallon buckets. Water is pulled through the pipes towards the reservoir outside the tent, where it's pumped back into a smaller line and topfed to each bucket. I'm running the complete front row ag lineup at 70% the recommended dosage rates from their rockwool feed chart. There are three different cultivars in the tent, 4x Mystic magic no. 33, 2x Grease Monkey no. 5 and 2 Mystic Magic no. 3. They were planted into the hydroton on Nov. 23.

8 plant 4x8 diy rdwc set up
8 plant 4x8 diy rdwc set up 2
8 plant 4x8 diy rdwc set up 3
8 plant 4x8 diy rdwc set up 4
Friendlytoad

Friendlytoad

Looks good. I just finished my own build. I notice tho that water bounces up and hits the enderside of the lid then manages to slowly drip off the side. Anyway to fix this?

logybro

logybro

Looks good. I just finished my own build. I notice tho that water bounces up and hits the enderside of the lid then manages to slowly drip off the side. Anyway to fix this?

You can incorporate a valve to slow the water flow or you can add elbows the the end of you lines to keep the water from hitting the lid.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Woo! First thread other than mine I've seen someone running front row ag. I'm running right at their recommended for rockwool now.

Only the two part though. Could only source 25lb bags, so at ~ $400 USD in for nutes for a "closet" grow. i'm not gonna pay another $160 for the bloom bag, so running MOAB instead, when it comes time. Last run was solid enough, the failing point was the grower (first run in promix + handwatering + bad back = not the best yield in soilless). This run is working out great though.

Looking forward to seeing how another produces with em.

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

How many layers of nets??

That’s going to fill up that tent n be nuts.

I have a 4x8 n only 3 pots in there.

Have u topped them?

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

I’d consider buying some uc roots to keep them in good shape all the way threw flower

It looks like your running 2 inch bulkheads?

logybro

logybro

I’d consider buying some uc roots to keep them in good shape all the way threw flower

It looks like your running 2 inch bulkheads?

Uniseals unfortunately, If I could go back I would use bulk heads and square buckets, took forever to sort out all the leaks. Using NPK raw enzymes to prevent biofilms and its been working really well.

AndyBoi

AndyBoi

ive been enjoying reading all these hydroponic threads. Seeing a set up like this is really motivating. I hope to make a RDWC one day, the quick results are convincing as well. Looking good, thanks for sharing.
Much Love 🖖
Andy Boi 👽

imnice

imnice

Veg update day 10

Hiya, i made a similar set up two years ago along with adding a chiller to the equation, my problems were although i copied a pro system i added bits that bettered the pro system yet the one problem i had was the water does not truely recirculate from each pot back to the main res/chiller, i cannot see who these system can work without individual pumps from each pot pumping directing back into the main reservoir!! can yopu enlighten me if possible as i am going to give it another go early next year, Thanks in advance, Imnice.

Last edited:
logybro

logybro

Hiya, i made a similar set up two years ago along with adding a chiller to the equation, my problems were although i copied a pro system i added bits that bettered the pro system yet the one problem i had was the water does not truely recirculate from each pot back to the main res/chiller, i cannot see who these system can work without individual pumps from each pot pumping directing back into the main reservoir!! can yopu enlighten me if possible as i am going to give it another go early next year, Thanks in advance, Imnice.

My pump is in the main reservoir so the idea is that the pump pulls the water from the other buckets to the reservoir. The lower water level in the reservoir naturally pulls water through the pipes from the buckets with a higher water level. I assume the recirculation action is slow, but I've got each bucket aerated with an air stone each. Had some root rot problems early on but after using enzymes and h2o2 it seems to be under control.

imnice

imnice

Could be where i went wrong, i had pump in first pot and had another 7 x connected in a rectangle shape covering 2.4 x 1.2 tent with the chiller outside, just realised i never had a res, lol, i just used the chiller connected to the first pot and i tried a few pumps to push/pull water around the system which all did nothing, i also never put the water level of the res into the equation, Thanks for speedy reply, tbh i think i'll just have one 90 litre res/tank bubbler, lots easier, ol.
imnice

logybro

logybro

Could be where i went wrong, i had pump in first pot and had another 7 x connected in a rectangle shape covering 2.4 x 1.2 tent with the chiller outside, just realised i never had a res, lol, i just used the chiller connected to the first pot and i tried a few pumps to push/pull water around the system which all did nothing, i also never put the water level of the res into the equation, Thanks for speedy reply, tbh i think i'll just have one 90 litre res/tank bubbler, lots easier, ol.
imnice
No worries, good luck with it.

logybro

logybro

Canopy is filling out nicely, the plants are drinking about 5 gallons of water every 1-2 days. Had to up my nutrient levels above the recommended rockwool dosage chart provided by front row ag. Was seeing slight nitrogen and potassium deficiencies in the mystic magic phenotypes. The two grease monkey plants however have been showing explosive growth and no deficiencies throughout veg. They have outgrown the other six plants in the system.

PXL 20210106 191708826
logybro

logybro

Doing a preventative IPM spray consisting of potassium bicarbonate, bronners soap and essential oils every 5 days to prevent powdery mildew and kill any thrips that made their way in. Found a small spot of PM on one of the mystic magic phenos in the back of the tent, increased airflow and incorporated a small heater to prevent temp drops at night to prevent a flare up. Haven't seen any since

letsgro

letsgro

It's looking good! Do you clean up branches below the first net or let them ride out flower? I am a few days behind you in veg, flipping mine tomorrow. I am doing more cleanup this run since I had so many soft lower nugs where light did not penetrate. Also, if you ever decide to look for a new IPM, don't sleep on Doctor Zymes...I cannot say enough good things about it. Effective against thrips and PM, from personal experience.

logybro

logybro

It's looking good! Do you clean up branches below the first net or let them ride out flower? I am a few days behind you in veg, flipping mine tomorrow. I am doing more cleanup this run since I had so many soft lower nugs where light did not penetrate. Also, if you ever decide to look for a new IPM, don't sleep on Doctor Zymes...I cannot say enough good things about it. Effective against thrips and PM, from personal experience.
Thanks man. I'll strip all branches in under the net a day or two before I flip to flower. Will take clones for next run from those as well.

Top Bottom