8 week strains finishing early normal?

• Thread starter ImpulsiveGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Hey guys new indoor grower here and I’ve obsessively research everything besides this. Is it normal for 8 week strains to finish in 6 1/2
-7 weeks? I’ve seen a couple threads on the net and maybe I should’ve dig deeper but here I am asking you professional farmers. I’m looking at trichs and a lot are milky and ambers are coming thru. Is this normal and is this a good thing?

Ponky

Ponky

Critical kush claims 6.5 weeks. It can happen if you like your glands that way.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Critical kush claims 6.5 weeks. It can happen if you like your glands that way.
Like them what way? Not milky? They are all milky and ambers are coming thru. My other plants are not ready it’s only this 1 plant.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
PIc's of the flowers please, if you can get them.

My guess is no. It's entirely possible, but under 7 weeks is pretty rare, I believe. Chances are higher that you've got some ambers on sugar leaves, and the exterior of the flowers, (that doesn't count) and the insides are still ripening.

The best way I can describe is to look into the thick of the bud, and judge your ripeness from there.

Depending on the conditions, plants do occasionally have ambers lurking in odd places prior to peak ripeness.

Last edited:
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
PIc's of the flowers please, if you can get them.

My guess is no. It's entirely possible, but under 7 weeks is pretty rare, I believe. Chances are higher that you've got some ambers on sugar leaves, and the exterior of the flowers, (that doesn't count) and the insides are still ripening.

The best way I can describe is to look into the thick of the bud, and judge your ripeness from there.

Depending on the conditions, plants do occasionally have ambers lurking in odd places prior to peak ripeness.
Ok well that answers my question thanks frankster! I’ll be in touch brotha! For as much research as I’ve done I didn’t know this. Yes it’s mostly of the exterior on sugar leaves but she’s still gonna finish faster than the rest of my ladies bc all of the buds are milky now.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Amber trichomes at week 6 is somewhat unique. Never really seen that.
It’s just on the sugar leaves tho. It’s the strain I thought would take the longest and now it’s looking like she’s gonna finish first. Ghost train haze from rare dankness genetics 🧬

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
I just had a Dos Si Dos finish in 7-8 weeks but that was grown in a small 400ml pot and under 24h lights so it was kinda forced a bit.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Love the discussions I have on this forum I’ve met so many great ppl and connections.

Habosabin

Habosabin

As mentioned by Frankster it's important to look on the calyxes/buds instead of the leaves - and inside the bud instead of the outside... I've also seen a few amber heads at around 40 days - a good 3 weeks before actual peek ripeness...
How do you look inside? Visually as far in as I can see? Or take a sample?

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
How do you look inside? Visually as far in as I can see? Or take a sample?
One way is to tease back a bud mid way on the stalk, and take a peak behind it, (with a scope, or cellphone on magnify) around where the stem connects to the bud, if the buds are slender enough to allow it.

If you've got one of the donkey looking cola's, you might need to kinda bend the cola a little, and look into the inside , between buds. That's how I do it anyhow. I'm getting better at simply feeling the entire stalk and judge things from the outside, but it certainly takes practice, especially with differing cultivars. I also try and judge the plant overall, from top to bottom. Inspect overall density.

Sometimes, a cultivar will finish on the top, and might harvest a little better in layers. Taking the larger ripened upper chunks off first, then leaving the rest for a few more days to finish in the lower sections. That's usually caused by a lack of full light penetration. That's always an option also. There's really no set rules actually, I don't think. Depending on environmental conditions, the same cultivar could finish longer, or finish on time.

I suppose it could even finish earlier for some reason, but that wouldn't usually be a good thing, in my mind. It could indicate a problem. Plants generally follow along a predictable time line, and if something is happening too quickly, it usually means it's shutting down for some reason or another. If that makes any sense.

Keeping the plant healthy and happy until it's carried over that goal line should be the main objective, IMO. Toward the very end, it's going to require much less water, and it's nutrient needs will drop off also.

Just sunlight, good air circulation, low humidity and cooler temps, if possible.

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

When you say 6 weeks is that from flip or from bud onset cause if its from flip its def not ready..it would of taken a week for the buds to appear so thats only 5 weeks of budding .got s9me pics of the plant bro..

Latest posts

Top Bottom