8k Sealed Room Build!!

• Thread starter Reebs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

Hey bro, was just reading through and noticed you say a 20lb tank @ 1200ppm only lasts you a day? Obviously I have no way of knowing for sure, but you might wanna check how well your room is sealed. The reason I say this is I'm using 35lb tanks, running it at 1500ppm and a 35lb tanks lasts 7-8 days in my room. Are you using any type of controller? When I 1st got my room up and runnin I was using a timer for CO2, I found my tanks only lasted a cple days now that Ive switched to the fuzzy logic controller its really made a big difference as far as how long the tank lasts. MGG

Reebs

Reebs

Hey bro, was just reading through and noticed you say a 20lb tank @ 1200ppm only lasts you a day? Obviously I have no way of knowing for sure, but you might wanna check how well your room is sealed. The reason I say this is I'm using 35lb tanks, running it at 1500ppm and a 35lb tanks lasts 7-8 days in my room. Are you using any type of controller? When I 1st got my room up and runnin I was using a timer for CO2, I found my tanks only lasted a cple days now that Ive switched to the fuzzy logic controller its really made a big difference as far as how long the tank lasts. MGG

ya i just use an analog timer with it set to 15min on, 15mins off for 12 hrs. and i've always assumed that wasn't the BEST way to regulate but i was taught that way so i kept with it.

the fuzzy logic controllers are the ones that just read the PPM level and adjust as needed correct? this is a good point Mr. GG, i should investigate the controllers a lil more since i've always wondered how the analog timer situation actually could keep the PPM level steady over a course of 12 hrs, now i'm sure it does to some extent but i have seen those controllers that just auto adjust or release.

great point dude, glad you said something. gonna research these controllers now.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

I was runnin mine the exact same way, and a 35lb tank was lasting 2-3 days. I was talked into buying a blueprint non-fuzzy logic CO2 controller by my local store and went along with it, having absolutely no idea ( and obviously neither did the guy at the store) that you can only use fuzzy logic controllers with botled co2, non-fuzzy logic with burners. I pissed out an entire 35lb bottle in one day before calling the manufacturer of the unit and getting the lowdown. Bought a Sentinel CPPM-4 the next day, got it home and the fuckin sensor sisnt work. Next day I swapped it for a Hydrofarm Autopilot controller and haven't looked back. It runs perfectly and my buds are blowin up. Now that my rooms dialed in Im rotating 2 35lb bottles...I use one every 7-8 days. IMO the savings you'll get from having to refill those bottles less will pay for that controller in a cple months, not to mention your CO2 levels will be OPTIMUM. Hope this helps bro. MGG

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

so far they are pretty good, they spread light good and the hot spots are not too bad, i'm able to place plants in the tray to work around the hot spots as much as possible.

the hot spots might be the only down fall to them, and just to clarify i don't have the magnums, same thing but actually the reflective surface inside the hood is a lil different. i just have the medium sized ones.

What's different about the reflective surface and is the hot spot bad enough that I should grab a couple of those heat equalizers to take care of it?

Reebs

Reebs

What's different about the reflective surface and is the hot spot bad enough that I should grab a couple of those heat equalizers to take care of it?

well on mine they are mirror like. on the magnums it's like the dimpled not mirror reflective stuff. i don't know what a heat equalizer is?

i have 2 over a 3x6 and the middle runs at 84-85 where i have the hygrometer probe. this particular table is in the corner in the back of the room also and i started this one first in case i ran in to this problem so i have time to ix it before the next tray goes in which will only make it hotter.

I was runnin mine the exact same way, and a 35lb tank was lasting 2-3 days. I was talked into buying a blueprint non-fuzzy logic CO2 controller by my local store and went along with it, having absolutely no idea ( and obviously neither did the guy at the store) that you can only use fuzzy logic controllers with botled co2, non-fuzzy logic with burners. I pissed out an entire 35lb bottle in one day before calling the manufacturer of the unit and getting the lowdown. Bought a Sentinel CPPM-4 the next day, got it home and the fuckin sensor sisnt work. Next day I swapped it for a Hydrofarm Autopilot controller and haven't looked back. It runs perfectly and my buds are blowin up. Now that my rooms dialed in Im rotating 2 35lb bottles...I use one every 7-8 days. IMO the savings you'll get from having to refill those bottles less will pay for that controller in a cple months, not to mention your CO2 levels will be OPTIMUM. Hope this helps bro. MGG

ya i was actually looking at the auto pilot stuff. i like there products. thanks again, im gonna be ordering my fuzzy logic in the next few days. i'm planning on getting a burner eventually to get rid of the tank system since my house uses propane anyways and it's easy accessable.

V

vino

You definately need to get a controller. I run 2 seperate controllers in 2 different rooms.
I run the CAP fuzzy logic - $600 and the new Blueprint BDAC-2-$605, which I can download my room stats daily.
This is where I say dont skimp. Or dont "fake it til you make it".
I really am liking the Bluprint controller because it also controls humidity,temp,CO2,exhaust. And comes with a 15' metering cord which sits in the center of my room, and my controller is outside.

You will only know if you have a real sealed room by metering it. And is your portable AC single hose or dual hose? Single hose sucks your CO2 right out.

I run a 4 burner generator on fuzzy logic for 12x16ft room @1500ppm and it last 3 weeks.

So each grow runs about $80 max in propane. how much is all that co2 costing?

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

ya i was actually looking at the auto pilot stuff. i like there products. thanks again, im gonna be ordering my fuzzy logic in the next few days. i'm planning on getting a burner eventually to get rid of the tank system since my house uses propane anyways and it's easy accessable.

Rt on man...I've got natural gas and looked at the burners, just couldn't make sense of using the burner and creating more heat, which will cause the AC to run more, makin my electric even higher lol. I guess changing tanks are a lil more work but to me its a better solution, for now at least. MGG

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

You definately need to get a controller. I run 2 seperate controllers in 2 different rooms.
I run the CAP fuzzy logic - $600 and the new Blueprint BDAC-2-$605, which I can download my room stats daily.
I really am liking the Bluprint controller because it also controls humidity,temp,CO2,exhaust. And comes with a 15' metering cord which sits in the center of my room, and my controller is outside.

You will only know if you have a real sealed room by metering it. And is your portable AC single hose or dual hose? Single hose sucks your CO2 right out.

I run a 4 burner generator on fuzzy logic for 12x16ft room @1500ppm and it last 3 weeks.

I agree on not skimping. Just curious Vino, you're using your controller in fuzzy logic mode with a burner? I was told unequivocally fuzzy logic is only to be used for tank CO2 and non-fuzzy logic for burners, that was from the main designer/tester at Blueprint.
MGG

V

vino

i'm not running it on fuzzy logic. its just the model i was refering too. I use to run tanks, but when I bought the burner it was over with.

V

vino

Im about to replace a new tank tom, lets see how long it lasts for my flower room. 2300 cubic sqft. at 1500ppm.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I average a 20 lb tank per zone per week- or a bit less- so times seven weeks- tapered off so this is an approximation. Call it $50/run but I get CO² for $7 /tank.

Reebs

Reebs

i don't have a portable AC, i have a mini split which has a compressor thats outside and an air handler in the room, no air is exchanged from unit to unit, the ones that i've always was told suck out the CO2 is the portables that sit in the room and vent out.

i'm not sure how much CO2 is costing me, i honestly just feel like i get a new one a couple times a wk, and i think my price is $9 for my smaller tanks.

ive been looking at controllers now, i need to find the best option since i'm wanting a burner eventually and u can use some of the controllers with the tank system aswell.

as for propane, i wouldn't know about the cost unless i started doing the math, my house has a 200 Gal Propane tank and i hardly ever use my propane except for the water heater so i'm sure it would be a good amount of time before i needed more.

my new issue is, i need a fan that rotates 360 degrees and i can mount the the sealing, because of the shape of the room and placement of tables, there is a small section of Tray #1 that has a terrible hot spot cuz i cant find a good spot to put another fan to direct air that way. i'm worried each table might have this issue as the hot spot is where the 2 hoods light crosses. the other 3 tables shouldn't be an issue just becuase air circulation and AC is right there above them.

right now i took a small desktop fan and hung it from a string directing air right between the 2 hoods causing a good 7-8 degree temp drop like i wanted. lol i gotta figure something else out.

and for the good stuff, here are some pics. Enjoy!

up first is tray #1 breakin into wk #2 1/2
IMAG0110

next is Tray #2 gettin ready to setup in the next few days
IMAG0115

Dehumidy & CO2 tank
IMAG0117

I have the CO2 connected to regular air hose reaching up to the sealing, where it connects to a T connector. then i make a huge loop around the top of the room and return back to the T connector. pics to show
IMAG0118
IMAG0119

and not to much to show here but the mini split i installed. lol i was thinking 15 ft of line sets might not be enough, turns out it was about twice as much as i needed. still figuring out what to do with the extra piping.
IMAG0120

and lastly, just a recap on the electric i hooked up myself. i have 2 high power/heat relays connected to 10 240V outlets and a total of 16 outlets throught the space for veg, flower and basement accessories.
IMAG0134

one more , or those who were curious about my Veg.
IMAG0123

Reebs

Reebs

I agree on not skimping. Just curious Vino, you're using your controller in fuzzy logic mode with a burner? I was told unequivocally fuzzy logic is only to be used for tank CO2 and non-fuzzy logic for burners, that was from the main designer/tester at Blueprint.
MGG

this was sort of my issue when i was looking at $500-$700 controllers, and since i don't have any sort of exhaust or intake fans for my lights nor the room it seemed a little over kill at this point with the possibility that when i eventually switch to a burner it wont work properly or i ended up with one that only does the tank CO2.

Anyways i ended up getting this APCECO Auto Pilot Analog CO2 controller and so far it's been keeping my room at 1200PPM and i think i have a lil more than a half tank and this is day 3 so thats cool with me.

i'm not sure if this guy will work with a burner but it's deff doing a good job with the tank CO2.

Reebs

Reebs

ahh man, just found out that they discontinued the hoods i have. lol i only have 4 of the 8 so far too.

found them online but shipping is outrageous!

so, i'm open for suggestion on reflectors. i need to be able to fit 2 over 1 3x6 tray and good light spread. these agrotech's have great light spread and from what i've noticed so far good penetration aswell. some of those economy reflectors suck for penetration and spread.

Reebs

Reebs

How are you liking the agrotechs? I'm thinking of picking up the agroteech magnums. Are there any hot spots?

just wanted to touch base on this again, i had first tried placing the lights so that the base of the bulb is facing the rear of the room. so basically they spread light long ways on the tray instead of the normal direction like when your setting up an air cooled system, this caused a massive heatspot in the middle of the tray due to the 2 lights meeting in the middle.

just got word they arent' making my hoods anymore and i still have 4 to buy. they made a newer version they reffer to as the "Medium" agrotech which is similar but not the same.

i was able to find them online but the shipping is outrageous. it's not the end of the world, just sucks cuz i'm pretty OCD and the non matching equipment bothers me.

anyways, i'm open for suggestions on reflectors now.

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

just wanted to touch base on this again, i had first tried placing the lights so that the base of the bulb is facing the rear of the room. so basically they spread light long ways on the tray instead of the normal direction like when your setting up an air cooled system, this caused a massive heatspot in the middle of the tray due to the 2 lights meeting in the middle.

just got word they arent' making my hoods anymore and i still have 4 to buy. they made a newer version they reffer to as the "Medium" agrotech which is similar but not the same.

i was able to find them online but the shipping is outrageous. it's not the end of the world, just sucks cuz i'm pretty OCD and the non matching equipment bothers me.

anyways, i'm open for suggestions on reflectors now.

I hate non matching equipment, not because it sucks or anything, but because I'm OCD like you. It's the reason I grabbed a new set of the agrotech magnums. I haven't tried them yet and can't tell you how the work though. I hope you get your hoods. When they charge for shipping on hoods, it's usually an insane price.

G

Growops

I am looking forward to your experience with the split AC units. I currently use a window unit but its not cutting it. My main complaint with it is when all the lights are out there is a serious light leak coming through the unit. I put a black cardboard barrier if you will to keep the light off the plants. With such a large leak to the outside I am sure its not doing my CO2 any good either. So, I am have been researching the ductless AC units for the ultimate solution. Let me know how your install goes. I am leaning towards Carrier simply because they have lots of printed info and charts etc. on running long lines. My lines will be about 50 feet. You can see the light leak in the picture below coming right through the vent area of the AC unit.View attachment 323550View attachment 323551View attachment 323552View attachment 323553
hey I had the same light leak problem with my 12k btu window unit I took the front off . got flat black spray paint . painted over the styro foam in the inside where the cold air comes out the best I could. after it dried I sprayed again again till the leaks weak gone.

Reebs

Reebs

I hate non matching equipment, not because it sucks or anything, but because I'm OCD like you. It's the reason I grabbed a new set of the agrotech magnums. I haven't tried them yet and can't tell you how the work though. I hope you get your hoods. When they charge for shipping on hoods, it's usually an insane price.

cool, ya i was actually thinking maybe just doing 3 magnums over 2 3x6's if i don't end up finding the agrotechs.

when i found them online, it's like $50 for the hood and then $30-$35 each hood for shipping! obviously it's the 15t cord it comes with cuz the actual hood weighs nothing.

sunlight does have the new version of mine in the 2013 catalog, they call it the Agrotech Medium and supposedly it's the same except the reflective surface is that dimpled stuff instead of the mirror. now i feel the newer ones would do better with hot spots but i'm in the complete middle here, like i have 4 of the old ones and i need 4 new ones. i may just buy a 6 pack + 2, of the new ones.

Top Bottom