8'x16' & 8kw Verticals! - Please Help w/ C.G.E.

• Thread starter Mr_Marley_Jim
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mr_Marley_Jim

Good Day Farmers!!!

I'm setting up an 8'x16' bloom room and I need some help getting this C.G.E. concept right...

First off, I've got 8x1000w HPS verticals, and I'm Bare-backin'it BABY!!!

All ballasts, CO2 Burner, res, etc. will be outside of the new room.

My real questions are in regards to the a/c and the totally sealed grow:

I'm planning on getting a 3-4 ton mini split unit... (central air is not an option)

What I'm not sure about is how many splits (wall units) do I want? 3x18kbtu...? 4x12kbtu?... 2x18kbtu?... etc.

There is going to be so much air movement inside the room that I'm not sure it even matters how many splits or where I put them... Maybe I'm over thinking it... lol

The other problem I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is "air exchange" with these units...

The air handler (or whatever it's called) has to be outside, sucking air in to blow through the copper lines and out the split units... I think...

Does this defeat my hopes of having a true C.G.E.? I'll be effectively blowing outside air into my room for a/c...

And what the hell do I do with the positive air pressure? :icon_dizzy:

I've read about set ups that have an additional room that acts like a lung, so to speak, and they house the external a/c units and supplement CO2 for the grow there... But I really don't have the room for this...

Aren't there a/c units that have no outside air exchange? That cool the air in the sealed room using refrigerants or coils?

What am I not understanding?

And if I'm pumping CO2 into the room via burner, doesn't that create positive air pressure that needs to be dealt with?

Thanks guys! I've always ran filtered intake & exhaust so I really appreciate any insight!

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
split AC

The mini-split units do not exchange air from inside to outside or vice-versa. It work's just like central air. The outside unit is the condenser and the inside unit is the cooling coil. The freon lines link the two together. A three ton unit should be more tha adaquate if you ballast are outside your room.:nod

M

Mr_Marley_Jim

So the Wall Units only cycle the air that's in the room through them? Cooling it via Coil thats cooled by freon? No discharge or air exchange?

I should be good then, right?

Anybody know if the CO2 burner will create enough positive air pressure to cause a problem?

BTW - Thanks Midnight son!

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
Your correct , no air exchange at all. You should not have an issue with the co2. You are right on track. We ran one setup with 8k and a two ton split, ballasts in the room and could maintain 78 degrees in the summer That setup was in a basement though.

J

Johnnyblaze2010

You should be fine

Good Day Farmers!!!

I'm setting up an 8'x16' bloom room and I need some help getting this C.G.E. concept right...

First off, I've got 8x1000w HPS verticals, and I'm Bare-backin'it BABY!!!

All ballasts, CO2 Burner, res, etc. will be outside of the new room.

My real questions are in regards to the a/c and the totally sealed grow:

I'm planning on getting a 3-4 ton mini split unit... (central air is not an option)

What I'm not sure about is how many splits (wall units) do I want? 3x18kbtu...? 4x12kbtu?... 2x18kbtu?... etc.

There is going to be so much air movement inside the room that I'm not sure it even matters how many splits or where I put them... Maybe I'm over thinking it... lol

The other problem I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is "air exchange" with these units...

The air handler (or whatever it's called) has to be outside, sucking air in to blow through the copper lines and out the split units... I think...

Does this defeat my hopes of having a true C.G.E.? I'll be effectively blowing outside air into my room for a/c...

And what the hell do I do with the positive air pressure? :icon_dizzy:

I've read about set ups that have an additional room that acts like a lung, so to speak, and they house the external a/c units and supplement CO2 for the grow there... But I really don't have the room for this...

Aren't there a/c units that have no outside air exchange? That cool the air in the sealed room using refrigerants or coils?

What am I not understanding?

And if I'm pumping CO2 into the room via burner, doesn't that create positive air pressure that needs to be dealt with?

Thanks guys! I've always ran filtered intake & exhaust so I really appreciate any insight!

The co2 burner is in your room so you're not adding any air pressure into the room. The split ac unit is just taking air from the room and cooling it. There is no air being added into the room to add any kind of positive pressure. The formula for a cge is around 3500 btu/1000w. If you're using a co2 burner expect to bump that to around 3700-3800. So if you're using 8 1000 hps, I would round it to 4000btu x 8 = 32000 btu that you need to deal with. You have to add into account also a dehumidifier which is an absolute must. 1 ton = 12000 btu. So if you get a 3 ton unit that would be perfect for you. You can get 36000 x 3 split or 2 split to help circulate the air better in your room. Good luck. I have no experience with any of this, just a lot of research over the last few months. Hope this helps you out.

M

Mr_Marley_Jim

Hey JB - The burner is actually going to be outside of the room, but at this point I said fuck it... After days and days of searching I've never read about anyone having possitive air pressure problems, let alone from a burner...

If there's a big kahuna out there to tell me any different PLEASE chime in...

B

bingiman

I run 14 lights, a 5 ton a/c, 8 burner co2 generators water chillers, humidifiers and dehumidifiers all inside the rooms (12 by 25 two of them) along with all ballasts and do not have any positive pressure issues. the co2 generators are effectively increasing the concentrations of co2 in the atmosphere but not to the extent that it is going to dramatically increase atmospheric pressures. I also have two 12 by 17 rooms with the same setups except with 12 lights each and a larger room with 21 lights in it. none of them have ever had pressure issues. If you are building a new room you might want to think about having humidifiers (depending on climate) due to lack of moisture soak. when you are running large ac units with alot of heat (1000w bulbs) they will be cycling frequently and can remove moisture from the air at an alarming rate. always remember to ride them hard and put them away wet (but always treat them like the ladies that they are) good luck and happy farming.

M

Mr_Marley_Jim

Thanks Bingi! I'm gonna quit trippin on it... And I got a couple foggers just waitin to get my ladies wet! I don't think I've ever been this excited for something in my entire life! HAHAHA

Latest posts

Top Bottom