9 pot dwc and lighting

• Thread starter ukbigbud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

ukbigbud

Hi as the name suggests im from the uk, ive been looking at the site for a while and it seems everything is done on a larger scale on here which is amazing:sign0005:. Basically why do people not use reflectors???? ive got a 1.5m x 3.0m x 2.0m tent. the height is 2.0m. im planning on putting in each sq meter 3 18litre pots and in the middle dangling the 600w light with no shade. what is the benefit from not using a shade???

0 0
x

so pretty much like that with the x being the light.
many thanks

U

ukbigbud

if no one can be bothered to answer, can some one point me in the right direction for info on using no reflectors???

S

smokestack23

People do use reflectors, it just depends on their growing system/style.

If for example you're doing a SCROG or SOG canopy and the lights will be hung above the canopy people use reflectors. If not, a percentage of the light will go straight up if the bulb is mounted horizontally. If vertical, it'll shoot out the sides and not down.

Think about it. Inside the bulb there is an arc tube that emits light from it's length. The light comes off the sides/circumference of the arc tube. Not shooting out the end of it.

OK so..here's some reflector "theory". When you move a reflector away from the source, the light energy off the reflector diminishes by the square of the distance you move the reflector. So, say you went from 2" to 4" from the bulb. The intensity would decrease by a factor of 4 because you doubled the distance of the reflector from the source.
Another tidbit...in photography they'll tell you that reflected light does not diminish. That's why you see lighthouse, theater film projector, train headlights...aimed at the reflector and not straight out.
Also..if you are taking a photo of the full moon, you set your camera to the same settings as you would if you were taking a shot on a sunny day. That's because the difference in distance from the sun between the earth and moon is negligable. When taking a photo of a full moon, it is being lit by the sun and the sun's light is being reflected off the moon to earth. If there were no other forces like crap between us and the moon like dust and stuff..., the full moon would be as bright from here as it is on the moon's surface. Theoretically.

So...if you're hanging lights above a canopy, it's best to mount the bulbs horizontally and with a reflector that's as close to the bulb as possible. That way. a percentage of light is coming off the arc tube and shooting down. The rest hits a reflector and then is directed down.
If you mount a bulb vertically with a big parabolic type reflector, ALL the light shoots off the sides. All the light has to be reflected downwards.....not always a bad thing as discussed earlier....but...if the reflector is huge and far from the source, well, that isn't very efficient.

Some of us grow a relatively small number of plants and grow them big into trees. We hang the bulbs in amongst the plants vertically without any reflectors. The light shoots off the arc tube in 360degrees and all the plants around the bulb get the light. None is reflected and none is shooting towards the ceiling or above the plants' "heads". VERY efficient.

Hope that helps.

U

ukbigbud

yeh thats great info smoke thanks!! last question what if a side of a plant will not be lit be a lamp will there have to be mylar on that side?? otherwise i will just be using a lamp to light one side of the plant. e g if the plant is anear a wall????

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

You can use mylar if you want, but IMHO you're better off just pruning anything that isn't getting direct light.

I ran vertical lighting on my last run, and I love it. If you can surround a light with plants, you will get more out of your light than trying to reflect light. That's my 2 cents.

U

ukbigbud

so because i can only run 3x600s if i put one in the middle of 3 plants should i just keep rotating them daily so the buds all round get enough light???

S

smokestack23

Unless you have a LOT of lights and a lot of room and a lot of power...well..I at least have some plants against a wall...well not AGAINST a wall but you know. Or...a light against a wall...actually, no matter WHAT...you WILL end up with lights without plants ALL around them and/or vise versa..unless your room goes on forever.

It's best to set up on an X and O pattern..you know..

xox
oxo
xox

Kinda hard to do with 3 plants and 3 lights I know...

If turning your plants is an option that'll work. You can even get or make turntables for your plants.

Right now I just set-up a room with 2 3-plant systems in it that are staggered a month apart. I have em set-up sort of like this with x being plants and 0 being lights:
xoxox
-------
xoxox

The lights are a bit to the outside (towards the walls), sort of behind the plants a bit so they light the back as well as the sides. The "o"s are 600s. The ------ down the middle is a 1000W on a light tracker.

Latest posts

Top Bottom